1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. elwood

elwood Senior member

The song that brings back 1969 in particular for me is "Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)" by Steam. Always reminds me of the Kippax terrace singing along to the chorus "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey, King Colin". (Colin Bell, probably City's best-ever player.)

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Liquidator, Arthur Conley's 'Funky Street' and... Thunderclap Newman with 'Something in the Air'. :embar:

Re: pic...very smart, as is to be expected from you, Roy.

3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

I think I am still in the honeymoon stage with my recently discovered tailor, Roger Crawford but even he quibbled when I took some trousers back for a small alteration after a few wears.....He almost took it as an affront to his craftsmanship.

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I remember them playing that at Eastville,night matches and great wafts of gas coming from the gasworks behiend the ground....
    BTW did you ever hear of a City girl known as Kippax Debbie ? supposed to go toe to toe with opposition lads.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Could have been any one of thousands at City... whereas at Old Trafford, all of our girlies were like beauty queens. :D

6. Gel boy

Gel boy Member

Quote:Hi, Terry first went to the Arsenal to take photos of Skinheads and got chatting to some young skinheads from Borehamwood. so he came down on a Friday night to take photos of these young Skinheads and that was one of the photo's outside the Red Lion pub. after he had finished taking the photos he popped in the Red Lion for a pint and us older Skinheads was in the Pub drinking and playing darts. and that is how he got talking to us and that is how the photo of us walking passed the Hippies came about.

7. Gel boy

Gel boy Member

8. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Given the recent discussion about girls I thought I would share this pic from Facebook which has the following title:

'A conversation between a mod and someone who looks like a suffragette, February 1964' !

[​IMG]

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Just a face from around Borehamwood.

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Thanks for the story Gel boy

11. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

The 60s is Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harem - summer of 67 - I was 13 and starting to really get a liking for music - but no Hippy future for me

The 70s - early one Layla Eric Clapton under Derek and the Dominoes - just brilliant - still smile now when it kicks in

12. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

We did not know or mix with posh kids and did never saw them in court. As skinheads or greasers in court we got fined and Borstal equally

The magistrates were 'hard - but fair' [​IMG]

13. elwood

elwood Senior member

Sorry to say I never heard of her, cerneabbas

Eye of the beholder and all that, Ed ... afraid that for me all the girlies at your place had one fundamental defect ;-)

14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

There was a very stylish shop that opened in town around 69 that went by the name of Male Domain.they had a big colour blow up of Alexandre Bastedo.apart from being the smartest menswear shop in town, they had an equally delicious woman who was from the same gene pool as AB.she was very posh as I recall and possibly German. It was unusual to have a woman serve you in those days as most menswear shops seemed to just have men. The exception were the matronly old bags who worked in the department stores and the Army & Navy.This was a very different retail experience for us in the provinces.uptown,upmarket and alright.

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Borehamwood Skinheads outside The Red Lion Pub 1969 [​IMG]

16. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Am I correct when I say that this thread has been going almost 5 years,but 30% of the posts have been made in the past year ?

17. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Some quite unexpected ( by me )songs being mentioned .

18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I came across this girls name on a Man City site ( don't know how I got there ) but then I googled Kippax Debbie...and Kippax Deb and there were a few stories about her,it made me wonder if she could have been the girl blowing her nose with the Utd scarf in roytonboys post....or did City have a few "bovver girls " in their following ?
    Did you ever find the longwings that you were looking for ?

19. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Interesting cerneabbas...but i think you will find that 30% of the subject post from the last five years have been repeated over the last year, this probably due to not many people reading the whole thread, but with over a thousand pages it will now be a epic challenge.

In saying that in the last year their has been some great stuff written, but also some stuff that is totally irrelevant to this thread..but i suppose this is gonna happen..but we always seem to get back on the right track.:)

20. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Mr Knightley,seen a reference to a 1910 Sack Suit and it has a Ticket Pocket on it-they refer to Public Transport being more accessible in those days,so,they had somewhere to put a Ticket for travelling.