Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

"Budgie ! I'll break yur fingr's wi a wee tofee hommer " : Charlie Endell

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Thanks for that Brownie, I thought you might know :) Can't remember what you told me but did you ever pinch bowling shoes too? It wasn't a myth was it?

No that was no Myth,Bunty.The Bowling Alleys started putting on hefty Deposits because of the thefts.:)

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Reminds me of my mum's comment when I turned up at home with a mate - we were both in Levi jeans/jacket - "You look like you both go to the same Borstal!"

4. Man-of-Mystery

Yeah, book. See half way down the page here. It's been an ongoing project on this thread for about 18 months now (it wasn't meant to take that long, but I've been snowed under with other [email protected])

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

5. Man-of-Mystery

Exactly! :D

6. Man-of-Mystery

Cracking photo, Bunty. But there's only so far one should allow a clothes fetish to go! :D

Any idea of location? Any idea if we can get permission to use it? It is actually very useful to show how people (girls, in this case) adapted the 'look' to school. It's almost exactly as I remember them doing.

7. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

It was the law - at Belle Vue, Manchester.

Go in with some - in my case - school shoes and leave with a neat pair of bowlers.

It was a great place, Belle Vue:

A zoo, funfair, the Kings Hall - saw the Who there in '72/73? - bowling alley, nightclub(s), speedway/stock cars and birds. (Aaaaaahhhh, the mammaries.) :satisfied:

Edit: in the vid, it looks tacky, basic and terribly working class - and it was. That's why we liked it. :D

8. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

[​IMG]
    All this talk of bowling shoes reminds me of a pair I sold awhile back.

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Great Photo Bunty.

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The Skirts went shorter,before going longer!!!:) Remember it well.

11. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Beautiful shots from Salford and Moss Side.The tights drying on the mantlepiece is priceless .The lads from Barrow are painfully to see!

13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Scary stuff, eh?

Try Wigan-ers at Butlins in '72. (Apparently the guys may be Scottish.)

EDIT: - has to be too late for '72 - Slazenger V-neck etc... 70/71???

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

14. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Hi, I have just joined the forum today and have really enjoyed reading the posts - I particularly liked the recent posted photo of the skinhead girls in school - that took me back! I was very interested in the comments regarding regional differences. Some years ago I wrote some articles for a magazine in my home town which is Royton, between Oldham and Rochdale. All of our influences came from Manchester, principally the Twisted Wheel and the terraces of Manchester City. I am going to try to post a couple of those articles.

15. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

When I Was 17, It Was A Very Good Year…….​

1967 –1969

‘Hippies’ and the like…..

In 1967 the ‘whole world’ was swept by Flower Power – “Peace and love, man” . Funnily enough, it never really caught on in Royton! I can remember one of our teachers at the end of term bringing the record ‘San Francisco’ in to play as if she was really ‘hip’. Some of the girls in our class at Royton and Crompton were wannabe hippies – Beverly Gibbons came to school with a small bell round her neck – and were well into Cat Stevens and the like but the whole thing never took hold – just a bit of a fad really (in my opinion!) What it did though was create a scism in the Mod culture. Some Mods did lean a little towards this look and the emerging types of music, partly inspired initially by the Beatles during the ‘Sgt. Peppers’ stage. Frills on shirts, paisley shirts (and ties!) and flares became common in ‘mainstream’ fashion. Some trendies were to be seen walking the streets of Royton in ‘Afgan’ coats (which, for our younger readers, was a goatskin coat with the wool left long to hang out of the sleeves and bottom hem.) Hair got longer – this really was the one time when it could be claimed “You can’t tell which are the lads and which are the girls!” – and as a consequence facial hair became more popular. Musically the ‘hippy’ type music mutated into Rock (the Who, Cream, Hendrix) which took many Mods with it and ‘Underground’ or ‘Progressive Rock’ (Lead Zeppelin, Deep Purple) which also appealed to some Greasers, who had carried on the Rocker image.

Greasers

Continued the look of the Rockers with the addition of some aspects of 60’s fashion, longer hair, fringes. Whether they refered to themselves as ‘Greasers’ or ‘Greebos’ I’m not sure, as both were names used by others in a not very complimentary way.

[​IMG]

I don’t recall that many motorbikes in Royton and other clothing was worn along with biker gear. Green or Camo American combat jackets were worn, all styles and colours of jeans and heavy working boots (known then as ‘greebo’ boots!) with thick socks rolled down over the tops. This was a quite widespread look for the ‘tough’ teenager of the time and your average football hooligan of this period was as likely to be dressed in a combination of these clothes as he was to look like a predecessor of the skinhead. The Greaser cult continued through until at least 1972, adopting some aspects of rock culture (Harold Flynn in his brown, fringed jacket) and Hells Angel look – sleeveless denim jacket over leather. At Royton and Gravelhole Youthclubs pairs of Greebos could be seen doing the ‘death sway’ dance with each other (could be 2 girls, 2 lads or 1 of each!) to some rock track (or maybe Status Quo?)

Late Mod, Early Skinhead.

The move towards the Hippy look was never going to suit the type of Mod to whom style still mattered. Some Mods, particularly in the Cities, had always been football supporters and frills and kaftans were never going to fit in there! Many Mods never left their values and Soul Music, Scooters and smart clothes were still the order of the day. The look that emerged in this period started with the Mod Surf Jacket (a type of thin bomber jacket), worn with levis and brogues or possibly trainers in 1967, the hair being a short ‘Mod Cut’, through needle cord Wrangler jacket and jeans a year later, gradually being replaced by denims in the same style. Girls could have a short ‘Julie Driscoll’ cut or other fringed hairstyle. The Mods of this period still rode scooters and wore parkas. Jackie’s Ballroom in Shaw was a popular venue at this time. Royton lads in this era included Brian Parkinson, Ricky Zervanovic, Ken Swaby and Dave Rabbich. Interesting to note that though they all remained friends (Ken Swaby moved away, I think) Ricky became a rock fan, growing his hair and wearing flared, patched jeans whereas Brian (‘Perky’) and Dave became skinheads. Dave, in particular was a real leader in the field, being one of the first 2 Skinhead supporters of the Latics (both of them Royton lads). He dressed in bleached denim jacket and jeans and steel toed commando boots. His proud boast was that he rode ‘the biggest scooter in Oldham’ a Lambretta SX 200, re-bored to give it a 225cc engine, complete with chrome bars, mirrors and lights. He paid the price too, as he was the target of a number of attacks by greasers. As aspiring young skins aged 13 and 14 we would walk up the street with him as he recounted tales of away trips with his beloved Latics but, on seeing yet another 3 or 4 greasers coming, he would send us home to prevent us getting battered whilst he attempted to take them on alone!