1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

It really was just for loose change and tickets, etc.

Never saw pants with more than one, and always - as shown here - on the right.

Never really a belt, as most pants - unless ordered MtM - didn't have belt loops.

:satisfied:

2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

My first (of only two MTM) suit had the zippers on the waist and they fit perfectly with no belt or adjustment needed,so actually I grew out of the suit about as fast as it was in fashion!Belts were not considered a fashion accessory untill a few years later,when they were an integral part of the look,particularly the very thin ones and wearing multiple with high waisted trousers.Only one ticket pocket ,and it was just that,big enough for a ticket and a few thruppeny bits.There were always lads who pushed the envelope and had two on the front,but that was not the norm.I had square rear flaps with two buttons on each just to be different at the time,but I now look back on that as a mistake.Personally I never cared for the covered buttons as I associated that with Teds and Drapes.

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

browniecj / Gsvs5. Thanks for the information about Mods brogues,when i tried looking about online all i could find was 70s/80s Mods wearing Loake Royals,i just didnt think that 60s Mods would wear anything that heavy....browniecj.about the prefabs,they were put up after the war as temporary housing so when you saw them in the 60s they were past their sell by date,surely a decent modern version could be produced ? I want to move once before retiring and i would go for a place that size with a small garden,better that than a high rise flat any day.

4. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Yes that's the same.That's actually a good reference chart elwood.I have been searching for some frogmouth flat fronts off the peg,but they all seem to be hipsters/poly blend and not the traditional high rise that i wear.I think that i may have to go the MTM route?I had a very nice pr of fishtail back orange moleskins made by Bookster,which turned out very well.

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Ed Vaughan / Gsvs5. Thanks for the replies,it all makes total sense now...I remember seeing girls suits with covered buttons in 1970ish ( trevira ? )....I suppose with MTM the problem is knowing when to stop with all the extras,we have seen pictures of suits on this thread that have gone too far ( IMO ),still you pay your money and make your own choices.

6. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

You beat me in responding Ed and I fully agree with your comments

The flap in the photo looks a bit wider than what I had. I seem to recall just being able to get thumb and fore finger in the pocket and the other digits were then left flapping around

I seem to wear a belt with everything these days and or course with the side zips we did not have a requirement for the belt

7. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Too much time on my hands, atm. :satisfied:

Bizarrely, I seem to recall some of the cheaper, off the peg pants, even had fake front flap pockets... it was literally, just a flap!!!:slayer:

8. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Page 950.50 more to go to reach Page 1000.Who's buyin da drinks when we get there.

9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Up in Blackpool the brogues which were worn usually had a more rounded or even squarish toe than the long-wing brogues of '69. Definitely not 'country' style brogues though. When I arrived in London in 1968 I saw blokes wearing similar brogues. That's all I can remember. Colours, mainly black, some brown - no tan, no ox blood.

I never saw any slip-on brogues like those pictured a page or so back.

10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Which reminds me - The Book.

Material is being added faster than I can get to it. I'm not complaining, except that it is going to take me an age to collate it all. I shall re-double my efforts.

I hope we do get to 1000, but that we manage to fill the pages with useful stuff, not sp@m. :)

11. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

That's funny MOM as that's all i remember seeing ! Mind you,I'm talking about the Midlands[​IMG]

Agreed about your spam comments.It does detract, and the "Me Too" comments really do add little to the stew except add validity sometimes? Brown was the predominant colour also.I think that may have been a reaction to black school uniform shoes?That,and the fact that Beige / BottleGreen / Mohair were popular choices at that time.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

John Simons is having a sale and has reduced the Allen Edmonds Macneil to £270,they are only in brown and are the pebbled leather.I know that a 10 UK size = 11 US size,but does anyone know ( Botolph ? ) if Allen Edmonds is true to size ? for instance if you wear a size 10 in Loake would you wear a size 11 US in Allen Edmonds.

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

A question to the originals and other wiseguys :

Rockers, Beatniks, Mods and hippies. Those subcultures all spread to the world at their time. Why did not first wave skinheads ?

Apparently, reading this thread, it was a real fashion at the time in UK, not so underground. And the foreign medias spoke about skinheads in the 60s (for example, we had a link to a 60s French tv documentary a while ago, but it sadly disappeared from Youtube or dailymotion).

What would be the timeline in UK ? (First England, then Scotland, etc)? In what city did they appeared first: London, or was it a global phenomenon ? Would be interesting to have some sort of an UK chronology.

We saw in Australia that the Sharpies were close to the skinheads, other examples maybe in other countries related to England ?

There is an urban legend in France: Some say that there were a few 60s skinheads: first in the port of Le Havre, and then in the City of Rouen. Both in Normandy. They would have been sailors and dockers in contact at one point/time with England...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yes,Prefabs could be built to help with the housing shortage today.I had the same idea about high-rise.When I moved into one(13th Floor)I loved it.The view down the River was brilliant.)

The slip on Brogues I would have seen older Males wearing them.Tony(who I have written about before)was in his twenties and he wore similar shoes to those-in `66.I am surprised you never saw Ox Blood Shoes M-o-M as it was a popular colour-from the mid 60s onwards. :)

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I am remembering the Adjusters that were straps that went through a "D" shaped Buckle.For the life of me I cannot remember whether they were on Italian style Suits.I know I had them at some point on MTM .

16. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

I'll check mine tonite and let you know.

17. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

My MacNeils and Kenwoods are a size US 10E. "E" usually indicates wide, but I guess their typical width, D, is narrow. I don't have particularly wide feet but, again, take a 10E. If you have narrow feet maybe stick with a D width but if you have normal width feet, the E gives enough room.

18. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Just checked my Kenwoods and they are an 8.5 E. My normal size in an English shoe is an 8.0. The Church's Diplomats I have on at the moment are a G fitting.

I would say my feet are a fairly normal width.

19. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Just so you know M.O.M. There are 420 photos on this thread of "Originals" I got them all in one folder.

20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Botolph/ Mr Knightley. Thanks for the size information as i take a 10 UK size it seems like an 11E in the AE Macneil would be right. I have noticed how different makes can be different on sizes,always best to try them on if you can of course.I do like the pebble leather,it looks old fashioned but stylish IMO ( of course the Cordovan looks great but in a different way ).