• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are similar to my boots so now I think mine were 6 holes. We only bought Martens, with the yellow stitching on the welt. All my mates had the same boot because we bought them at the same place (Blackman's) but other gangs had variations. I particularly liked the padded trim at the top. I reluctantly bought my second pair without the padded trim in 1970 and can remember Mr Blackman telling me that the old boots were out of production and replaced with the black (I think) trim. It might of been a sales pitch but I never saw the old style boots again. If I had I would have bought them. In 68/69 I also briefly wore brown officer boots with green drills from the Army and Navy store and some gangs stayed with this look but when we found out about the Squire shop we went in a different direction.

I am sure we wore six hole in the beginning but they could have been eight ,,not 100% ,but they was ankle length.. I suppose a carry on from the Cherry Red Commando Boots, Back then lads wore Black and Cherry Red equally..just ones preference..but I did get a higher leg pair in 70..Black.
Bye the way never heard of Solovair, just Dr Martins

corker23

Reaction score
Last edited:

yankmod

Reaction score
This DJ does a nice set of original Rocksteady.Mostly instrumentals.Begins with "The Sufferer" As a Sax instrumental.It's called The Roots of Skinhead Reggae.

Watermelon man

Reaction score
Roy, you are right about not hearing of 'Solovair'. Neither had we about '74. When we saw them, we just thought they were inferior DM imitations, no name attached. Perhaps NPS didn't use the 'Solovair' brand name then (no need, when they produced boots for Griggs with DM soles).

With regard to the white 'collar' on boots, I'd never seen them in the flesh until a few years back when someone tried to sell me a crappy second-hand pair that had been re-soled with a solid (non-air-cushion ) sole. They were ugly, overpriced and the wrong size. It was the mid-'70s before I became properly aware of what people wore, so maybe they were around, but I never noticed them.

The transition was from kiddies' Monkey boots to DMs or matt-finish Hawkins' Astronauts as far as I knew.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This DJ does a nice set of original Rocksteady.Mostly instrumentals.Begins with "The Sufferer" As a Sax instrumental.It's called The Roots of Skinhead Reggae. 

Music is great,the Dj?????:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about Buses,where I was it was a single decker that ran.Most of the Drivers were alright.In other parts there were attacks on Bus Crews-but I never witnessed any.Near the Plaza there was the Onslow Street Bus Station(the other half of it,you could get to by crossing a footbridge).Many fights have taken place there,whether it was with other Skins or Greasers.The Train Station was another Place where there was a lot of violence.Have seen People jump down and run along the Tracks,to get away.

As with the Boots,cannot remember what they had around the top-just DMs to me.

bunty

Reaction score

'Oh my gawd'

yankmod

Reaction score
Music is great,the Dj?????
smile.gif
This DJ knows his roots.I like the fact the camera is focused on his hands,not his face.Puts the focus on the music.The flow is a tad rapid for my taste but,a nice selection.The first track and the cover track with the girl singers I like best.

Watermelon man

Reaction score
Ah... just like we did in the old days...
biggrin.gif
Remember that old newspaper report? I quote:

"Young Liberals, holding their conference in Skegness, supplied free tea, coffee and biscuits to large gangs of skinheads roaming the resort as a peacemaking offer."

The Times 31 March 1970

flyfronted

Reaction score
Where does Hawkins Astronauts fit into all this .. pretty sure they were my first pair when i was 12 in 1970 .
My old man could not afford Levi jeans for me but a shop in east acton had some olive green levi cords on sale that i begged him for and a green check Jaytex .. that was it i died in that clobber for 6 months,

London Rudeboy

Reaction score
I remember wearing six holes in the 70s as well, I had a black pair I used for work after school. Also, knowledge about Solovair? I agree with the other comments, I didn't hear the name Solovair until the 80s, to me they were just Docs. My only pair of Solvairs were 11 hole black steel-toecap DMS Highlanders probably in 82, 83. Had Docs before that and plenty since.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads