• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

yankmod

Reaction score
No Probs Yankmod, I did name near everyone in that clip of the boys and girls on the dance floor, I emailed the clip to a few mates i still see in Kilburn..which they found amusing.

Kilburn became famous all over the UK at the time from front page National News about the Kilburn and Hendon Skinheads rioting up in Burnt Oak, 36 Kilburn and Hendon got nicked,
After that there was a lot of interest in Skinheads in general, Their was not a day that went by without a story about Skinheads causing mayhem up and down the Country,
We even had a American TV crew interviewing Skinheads up the Kilburn High Rd. that was before the BBC Program.
Whats got to be remembered Skinheads was a fashion back then not a cult that it became 10 years later. Every working class boy and girl was a skinhead..and the few that weren't was considered strange,
biggrin.gif

Nothing before or since has every matched the shear scale of numbers and notoriety of the Original Skinheads, You had to be there to truly understand it all. as one of the Originals said on here you could even smell it.
Thanks for that info Lasttye.You emphasize the fact that every working class kid was a Skinhead and it was just a fashion.Only the "Originals" know this as you state it became a cult 10 years later when I learned of it via 2 tone.This is an important distinction for the youngsters to understand if they don't already.

yankmod

Reaction score
found this on fb..

25th May 1970 - Skinheads arriving at Southend Victoria railway station are lined up to receive advice from police not to get into groups of three or more during their spring bank holiday visit to the seaside town. (Photo by Central Press/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

ek 77 The photo above comes from a clip(I beleive) in this short piece I posted earlier.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
found this on fb..

25th May 1970 - Skinheads arriving at Southend Victoria railway station are lined up to receive advice from police not to get into groups of three or more during their spring bank holiday visit to the seaside town. (Photo by Central Press/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

I have seen this photo before and have tried to identify who was in it but I don't recognize any of them. It looks like the police are talking to the leaders of a small firm who are wearing trilby/pork pie hats. I know the two leaders of Dagenham Heathway mob were wearing similar hats that day but I don't think it is them. The train I arrived on was much more crowded and I think we also arrived at Southend Victoria .Southend Central was also busy. We weren't quite as well behaved as this lot and I like to think we were better dressed, but that might be wishful thinking.
I have tried to source the Daily Sketch front page from Tuesday 26 May 1970 to see if my memory was correct about the team photo of my group but no luck so far.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have seen this photo before and have tried to identify who was in it but I don't recognize any of them. It looks like the police are talking to the leaders of a small firm who are wearing  trilby/pork pie hats. I know the two leaders of Dagenham Heathway mob were wearing similar hats that day but I don't think it is them. The train I arrived on was much more crowded and I think we also arrived at Southend Victoria .Southend Central was also busy. We weren't quite as well behaved as this lot and I like to think we were better dressed, but that might be wishful thinking.
I have tried to source the Daily Sketch front page from Tuesday 26 May 1970 to see if my memory was correct about the team photo of my group but no luck so far.

Yes they are a scruffy little mob, must be Northerners who got on the wrong train, :D,:D

Vin the Skin

Reaction score
Cheers Yankmod! Your support is much appreciated. I had doubts when I changed my look because I'm the "odd one out", but it's thanks to blokes like you that I've persevered and not looked back. This site is a useful guide to someone like me as to what to wear besides the staple Docs and Levis, etc. Thanks to everyone for that. Vin

We welcome you here Vin the Skin.You do what you want.You can't go wrong dressing in this style.Everyone looking to dress in a style other than mainstream looks to the past for Ideas.And thats how revivals start.Don't take the critiscism too hard brother.We welcome your questions and observations.

yankmod

Reaction score
Cheers Yankmod! Your support is much appreciated. I had doubts when I changed my look because I'm the "odd one out", but it's thanks to blokes like you that I've persevered and not looked back. This site is a useful guide to someone like me as to what to wear besides the staple Docs and Levis, etc. Thanks to everyone for that. Vin
Be the "Odd Man Out" Vin the Skin.If that means Original Skinhead style then wear it proud and scream out loud "**** Off" I bet the members of the "Originals Firm" would tell you they got plenty of ****, and you know how THEY handled it.Big Up.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I take another Step towards Retirement Age I am thinking-are there any Regrets.Certainly not through my Teenage Years.They were great times(the 60s)and everything was new.So Vin the Skin,do what you want-all of us Originals certainly did. :)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back then,you had 3 types of Girls.The ones that would have an imperious "Look" about them.They looked at you as if you had trodden into something.They usually went out with the smartest Skinheads.You next had the "P.Ts",these were the ones that caused all the fights.They had Boyfriends,but always "egged" you on.The third was the the quiet ones-these were the ones you usually married-then God help you!!!! :slayer:

Little Queenie

Reaction score

Back then,you had 3 types of Girls.The ones that would have an imperious "Look" about them.They looked at you as if you had trodden into something.They usually went out with the smartest Skinheads.You next had the "P.Ts",these were the ones that caused all the fights.They had Boyfriends,but always "egged" you on.The third was the the quiet ones-these were the ones you usually married-then God help you!!!! :slayer:

Some of us are nice, you know.....

kicksinstyle

Reaction score
Catching up after a few days of being too busy to check this board;
I think that suit looks great Yankmod, looks pretty mod to me even if it's not Original Skinhead approved or whatever.
I'd encourage you to not just save it for special occasions - you look way smarter than the average Brooklyn hipster!

Last edited:

Lerk

Reaction score
RIght, my London trip is next thursday, so where can i get a pair of reasonably nice brogues for a equally reasonable price? Where is a good place to stock up on nice shirts? And also, sta press trousers. Sorry for all the questions, i've never been in London before if you don't count a short stop on Gatwick Airport, i spent some time in Newcastle, but thats all my knowhow of the isles ;)

yankmod

Reaction score
Thanks kickinstyle.Bad lighting and cell phones don't make for the best photos.Couldn't quite get the 2 tone quality.The 2 buttons and pockets are very early Mod maybe.I was a Hipster in Greenpoint(next to Williamsburg)before the influx of the last 10 years.Sad to see,I appreciate the positive feedback. browniecj,I knew Little Queenie would take you to task about the girls back in the day.Big Up to Little Queenie. Lerk have a good trip I hope to make it to the U.K. one day.When you get back post some pics of the gear you pick up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics