1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

In the mid 70s I trained with the wrestler and weightlifter Johnny Yearsley at his gym in Sidcup. I met Mick McManus there on one occasion and was surprised how small he was. He always looked much bigger on TV. He was on a chat show last year and looked remarkable considering he was in his 90s and with the same black hairstyle

2. BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz Member

Hi Cernabbas, I left Bristol in 1973. I have both of Chris's books and related quite a bit to the things he writes about. I went back once in about '80 and it had changed a lot even then. Haven't been back since and have been out of the UK since '83.

3. Basset

Basset Senior member

Tbh, i agree, i've found this thread a superb place for discussion and detail, im no original so most of my posts are off the back of what others throw up, and are memorys of my childhood and seeing what was going on around me.

The early period that has been discussed recently has been great, but i would like to see peoples thoughts recollections of some of the later stuff 71/72 ?,longer hair, patterns, beagles, ruperts etc, but folks just seem to say it was rubbish and it gets passed over.

My first memorys of the whole skinhead style relate to my aunty she's sixty now and went thru the styles, she used to babysit for me and r kid, take us out and generaly spoil us.
    Whilst my memorys are a bit vague and probably jumbled up i remember her having a feathercut, loads of forehead showing, this gradually got longer, short gingham dresses, three quarter length jackets, tights with patterns up the side mustard yellow, sky blue etc, shoes with flared heels, basketweave, big brass eyelets etc.
    I remember going with her, dad and gramps to purchase her 1st car, Ford Anglia, and getting a lift back home and playing with the chrome quarter light catch.

I thought she was cool, she dressed different to me mum and other aunty, that pic i posted up a few days ago of me with an attempted Rod hairdo is me at her wedding 75 i think.

Apologies if i've rambled on a bit, and no offence but discussing trainers aint for me.

1 person likes this.
  4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that the trainer / shorts posts of the last couple of days have been great and i would like to say cheers to buttons for starting it all !

5. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

In '71 I thought it interesting to see cotton jersey knit,long sleeve penny collar shirts for men with floral print.These were fairly fitted and seemed quite feminine to me initially.yhe prints were usually in just a single colour,red or blue and were small repetative.
    This seemed like a big departure from everything we had been wearing for the previous few years and the safety of solid,stripes and checks.i also recall getting a broad seersucker fabric shirt around the same period that I thought was the dogs bollocks.i had never seen a men's shirt in such a fabric before.Cords were taking over more and more,with the denim less prized.Oasis in the Birmingham Bull Ring had some very unique stalls at this time and it started to seem like you could begin to wear whatever you liked without having the piss taken.your mates might give a sideways glance,but were hesitant to be too critical as they might be buying the same next week.i think it was '72 that a velvet or maybe cord bomber replaced the Harrington?Very quickly followed by the Budgie.stack heel shoes(that looked like plywood ) Raised you up an inch and opened the way to platforms.this is the very end of the suede era and there was no going back now.

6. Basset

Basset Senior member

Enjoyed reading that, some great detail regarding the speed at which style and the attitude of those wearing it can change.
    Can you recall what you called the shoes with the plywood looking soles?

7. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Stacks.

It was just the heel part really.just left natural colour.Common enough later on,but very new at the time.

8. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

someone on another forum claims Yearsley died in 1980 so it wasn't that long after you trained with him if its true, do you know anything about that?

9. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Final Prototype before production. Any thoughts, comments, criticisms are appreciated.
    [​IMG]

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Trainers are within the remits of this thread because Mods wore them,stacked heel shoes and associated clothes were after suedehead so are outside the thread maybe there should be another thread for that kind of stuff ?.

11. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I think the shirt looks good.Just curious why your having these shirts made.Is there nothing on the market you could buy that would be comparable? You mentioned a 1965 version.Is that something you can't get today? Just looking for details.

12. elwood

elwood Senior member

Training shoes/ trainers (hope this isn't now off topic): I think I can claim to have had some of the earliest around but it had nothing to do with fashion or style. In the 1960s my Dad worked for a footwear manufacturing company. As far as I can tell they worked on a contract basis for footwear sellers, high street stores etc. - mainly kids' sandals and slippers.

They were approached by a bloke from Bolton (I think) called Joe Foster to manufacture a new shoe and produced a short run for him. My Dad got a pair each for me and my brother. They were white leather, quite thin and stiff with a thin composite ridged sole. No padding round the ankle. White laces. Two (I think - but it's hard to be sure after so long) blue stripes on the side. And the name of Mr. Foster's new venture in small gold lettering blocked on the outside of each shoe: REEBOK.

I think we were told they were "training shoes" and can't remember an alternative. Don't think they got called running shoes; certainly not tennis shoes. The term "trainers" came much later. Back then trainers, to football fans, were the guys on the bench who ran onto the pitch with a bucket of water and the "magic sponge" when a player was injured.

I think this must have been around 1967 or 1968, when I was 10 or 11. Me and my brother just wore them for playing out in, football, roaming round the streets, on holiday etc. By late 1969 when I started going on the terraces at Maine Road I'd have grown out of them.

During the summers of 1970 and 1971 I wore Dunlop Green Flash with my Wranglers, and while this wasn't the most stylish footwear at the time compared to Royals etc. it wasn't uncommon either. Never saw them on the terraces though.

Training shoes didn't seem to take off then and I didn't really notice Reebok until many years later, by which time I think it had changed hands. Often wished I'd kept my early pair as they'd have been a museum piece.

13. elwood

elwood Senior member

One afterthought is that I think training shoes might have become more noticed around 1970 with the World Cup in Mexico. With the very hard pitches there I've a feeling teams might have used them for training or even as an alternative to studded boots in some games?

And I do remember seeing City's team photo at start of season round then with all players in training shoes. I'll see if I can find it.

14. buttons

buttons Senior member

I know there's no real rules here but in my opinion, to understand the skinhead style, its of great relevance and interest as to where it came from and where it ended up. Its mod roots are key as things changed in the late 60s, but its just as relevant if you see a pic of a mod in boots and braces in '64. But by the same token, as the style evolved out the other side, whilst some lads in London were deliberately trying to leave the look behind by late '69, the style continued for many years after in other parts of the country. The emerging fashions influenced that, which is why you'll see versions on skinheads in '73-74 even, with what's obviously the same fundimental look and approach but with a few much later fashions creeping in.
    For me, its all good related stuff and I'd rather keep it in one place as much as possible as I struggle keeping up with one forum, let alone logging onto 5 each day!

And whilst there's been some good points made about sports shoes, I'm sure the term "trainers" was never really used in England til about '78-79. Could be wrong though.
    And while we're on the subject, I'm surprised basies never go a mention - baseball boots (like the black ones with rubber ankle circle that Basset mentioned), Double Bass? Converse? (although there were plenty of makes and for many, I don't think branding was that important). Have heard about them being worn by northern skinheads at the time, in various contexts.

15. buttons

buttons Senior member

I'd written mine earlier and forgot to press send!
    I think the style of shoe later known as trainers were certainly around, just don't think the term was used outside of sport until much later.
    Interesting about the green flash though.

16. Aces and Eights

He probably did die around then and could only have been about 50 ish. I had already moved on to another gym around 77/78 and did not learn of his death for some years after the event. He was a decent man

17. Aces and Eights

Its taken me a long time to find a decent thread as this one and although the basis is what took place between 69 and 71 regarding skinhead fashion and events it is interesting to read peoples experiences and memories from time slots either side of that period

Its all related somewhere and as Buttons says I do not want to be checking out 5 different threads. some one hits on a topic - we all give our 5 pennies worth and we move on to the next item

Please keep contributing your memories and opinions there great reading

18. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

19. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Mod revivalists maybe BUT in 1962 when london modernism was in full flow i doubt if any real mods wore trainers .. if you could even buy them anywhere .

20. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Just off subject-My Mum was Wrestling mad in the 60s and 70s.Every Saturday afternoon she would be screaming at the T.V.She hated McManus,Jackie Pallo etc.One day,both my Sisters thought what a great idea to take my Mum to the Civic Hall in Guildford-to watch the Wresting,they were all there.Big mistake.My Mum had to be restrained from climbing into the Ring,with McManus and the rest of the time she would charge backwards and forwards shouting obscenities.It was the last time they took her-even though she did go more than once.:)

I have said before,what made me go from being a "Peacock Mod" to a more conservative Mod was the way the Fashions were going-Unisex etc.,etc.In the early 70s the Fashions were going that way again,but this time I went with it..I remember the horror on my Mum`s Face when I showed her my first Penny Collared Floral Shirt.I remember the Lace Shirts because I had a similar one.The Shoes started from Two-Tone to the Soles and Heels getting bigger-mind you I did not wear some of the abortions.My Hair was shoulder length(though at first you had it cut shorter on top-you could always tell an ex Skinhead).I was liking The Faces etc.,so they were influencing the Clothes.By the mid 70s,it changed again and all that stuff went to the dustbin.I was well into Jazz Funk.:)