1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

And by the way Cerneabbas, i think That the topic you launched about what an "ageing ex skinhead" wear is one of the best recent ones. I did not contribute,because the topic seemed reserved to the Originals.

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Thanks yankmod.I have the passion still but the energy is fading a bit.It has taken me nearly half the week,to get over Margate. :)

I was a Doorman then Head Doorman for about 12 years.I worked for Mecca then some private Clubs,around London.

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Mr.Knightley,I could talk about the period `65 to `68 for ever.This was the time that moulded the Skinhead,new things tried and some dropped but it was always changing..:)

4. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

That's exactly what my mob sometimes used to do. I used to get some cockles or whelks and we would have a drink in the pub just by Tubby Isaac's. Then we used to head off to Aldgate East station and home. There was a documentary the other night on the East End of London using archive footage and Tubby Isaac's was featured and interviewed.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

I came across a photo on youtube the other day of a youth in 'classic' skinhead style, braces, boots, turned up Levi's. The caption claimed it had been taken in 1964, stating that the skinhead style had been around much earlier than 1969. Can I find it again? can I f......

6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Great Documentary with a lot of footage i've never seen before,and being an ardent Faces follower,i've seen most of it I believe.The early live interviews in Richmond and Archway were a treat.Shame that Mac was not included,seeing as how Woody and Kenny Jones made it in there?

7. elwood

elwood Senior member

Yes, saw that Basset; very enjoyable. Still on i-Player for anyone who missed it - but search for "Imagine" not Rod Stewart. Early footage (from 1965?) was the most interesting. Did anyone recognise where Rod was doing his clothes shopping?

8. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I'm curious about this idea of the "Ex" Skinhead.I can see if you were an original Skin and when you got older you became a Punk (so many folks from the mid late 70's scene were originally skins) I could see if you were an Original Skin and became a Rockabilly fanatic in the late 70's. browniecj,M.O.M.and Bunty were Mods who became Skin (and beyond) There are some my age like Clouseau who call themselves "EX" From my perspective,whatever subculture you joined helped define your ideas about culture and style.It stays with you forever in some form I think. Maybe we should reclaim the term "Peanuts" It would def draw a line between the "Original" and the revivals.

9. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

One from Le Drugstore?

[​IMG]

10. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I need to see it again but I think it was the shirt makers TM Lewin on Jermyn St ?

11. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Have you got a date for that Ed?

12. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Sadly ALL youth cults get there looks withered down with age - look at all those fat 40 something casuals in JD sports reissues and Dallas Tachinni tops infecting high streets nationwide - theres a look that was popular for barely 18 months in a style thats lasted since 79 till today .. same with 'skinhead ' - boots braces , rolled up jeans and check shirt .... the poor old Teds got it even worse with the sharp early 50s 'Edwardians ' loosing out to cartoon teds in cheap drapes and bad brothel creepers ...

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

flyfronted. I agree,i never liked Teds but that original Edwardian jacket i always thought looked smart.Remember the 70s tv programme Upstairs downstairs ? i thought that the rich upstairs men dressed very smart ( Edwardians ).Like the early Mods dressing sharp,all people remember about Mods now is parkas and scooters,the less said about the " mod revival " the better IMO cheapo clothes and t shirts with targets on.

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The fella in the light Mac is a very smart dresser.Around `65 I had my hair in a similar Style.

Always thought Teds were the first to go to a Tailor, and tell them the length of sleeve etc.Before that you copied your Father.

15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

browniecj. I agree again ( what a night ) i can see something about early Ted and early Mod thats a bit alike,sharp ? stylish ?,i cant really describe it..but later that really smart Suedehead look had some of it....Sorry style and clothes again ,i know it bores some people..

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Great find, Ed ! This picture i was looking for shows Minets on the Champs Elysées.

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

It has been used as a model for a drawing on the shoemaker JM Weston website (look at "Histoire") to represent Minets. I am not completely (but almost) sure they are Originals from the Drugstore, but they have definetly got the flavor ! in all cases they are standing just on the side of the Drugstore, on the high part of the Champs, near the Arc de Triomphe, and are looking in its direction.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

browniecj and Bob the Badger.Thanks for your posts on East end and Essex pubs ,along with Tubby Isaacs now gone i think. I was thinking about your posts and the Margate videos,in the videos there were women drinking tins of lager/cider and smoking in the street.Back in the day there is no way a girl would have drunk in the street ,even women smoking in public was looked down on by some older people..and no girl/woman would walk into a pub on her own.

19. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clousea, What is the badge on that blokes blazer ? could they be English tourists ?

20. Basset

Basset Senior member

Im a big Rod/Faces fan, like yerselfs i found the early footage of him fascinating, did his old fella say he had 2000 shirts or was it 200?
    The interview with him and Britt in the back of the motor was funny, his face said it all when questioned re the Susan george incident.

Rods haircut was the first i ever asked for, it looked good when i came out the stylists, im afraid mother hadn't quite grasped blow drying, probably why i look so miserable [​IMG]
    [​IMG]