1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau, I am the same with 2 button jackets..with shirts i usually have top button undone unless i am wearing a tie,then i will do the top button up depending on the shirt ( if it looks better ),as i said before, polos all buttons done up.Tie knots i always do a Windsor knot,i sometimes wear a tie clip never a tie tack/pin.

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Always wear my Jackets top 2 on a 3 Button Jacketon a 2 Button it would be the top one.I quite shamelessly say I would wear a non BD shirt done up..Maybe this is a throwback to the Mod.

I have always liked Suede(have 2 pairs in the Wardrobe now,including Desert Boots).I was looking at a Shoe that was similar to the Desert Boot-but without the higher sides.I remember having some the very same Style,around `64.I still like them.

Ties,if I wear one,is tied with a Windsor Knot and with a Tie Clip.

3. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

... and of course, this was still around the time when a 'gentleman' would not wear brown shoes in the city, as in: "Never brown, in town...'. :satisfied:

4. elwood

elwood Senior member

Mr. Knightley, good post. Interesting about possible influence of grandad, in light of frequent comments on thread about old man's clobber and looking like little old men.

My own grandads took pride in their appearance. Both had jobs that were fairly mucky (yes, it's grim up North etc) and as soon as they were home, off came the overalls and after cleaning up on went the suit & tie, highly-polished Oxfords, overcoat (in winter) and trilby. If they weren't going out, it would be smart trousers and the Wolsey type of cardigan featured elsewhere on the thread.

Not for them the dressing down affected by our current politicians; they dressed UP whenever possible. I remember them being on Blackpool beach in summer wearing suits or blazers. I was told they both had a reputation for being "dapper" dressers in their younger days.

When one of them died in early 70s, I inherited his sheepskin coat (had it for years until it was worn out) and a yellow/gold Paisley silk Tootal scarf (must have been 50s or 60s vintage and I wish I knew what happened to it). Neither were quite as fashionable as they had been a few years earlier but I still liked them and wore them a lot.

5. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  6. elwood

elwood Senior member

Good list, Mr. Badger. Here's mine, usual disclaimer about personal opinion only etc.

Do/ would wear:
    Crombie
    Harrington
    Sheepskin (on list for winter)
    Fly-fronted mac (still looking)
    John Smedley knitwear (shirts, pullovers: long sleeve & sleeveless)
    Sta-Prest (nearest equivalent can find; intend to try Brooks Brothers' flat-front Milano fit)
    BD shirts (plain or striped rather than check)
    Suits: 3-button, narrow lapel etc.
    Shoes: longwing brogue, Oxfords, smooths/ Derby, desert boots, loafers

Don't wear/ probably wouldn't wear (but never say never):
    denim jeans (haven't had any for 20+ years so just got out of wearing them)
    denim jacket (don't seem to see old style without side-pockets anyway)
    red socks
    tie-pin in pocket

Don't wear but might:
    Two-tone Tonik suit (probably not the green/gold I had in 71/72 but maybe something more "muted")
    DMs (Wore my mid-70s pair at football through to early 80s when they were relegated to "gardening". As that involved precious little use they ended up binned on a house move in last ten years - pity as they were made in England. Not been tempted by them since then but the William Lennon versions posted recently look pretty good.)

7. Mr Knightley

Quote:Yes, elwood that generation were generally keen to 'dress up'. My dad was of the generation that wanted to dress down and, being a professional man he wanted to show other things were more important......we never really recovered from an early dispute about my need for a pea coat that went unmet!

8. elwood

elwood Senior member

Back in the day, it was always top button only (on 3-button - including school blazers) round my way. These days, I'd tend to go top two of three (but sometimes top one only, for old times' sake :) )

9. elwood

elwood Senior member

I had a similar dispute with my Mum about my Crombie, which happily was resolved in my favour ... but I guess we all have "the one (or more) that got away" back then. Longwing brogues certainly did for me (and a few others) but I'm making up for it now :)

10. Mr Knightley

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  11. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Likewise Elwood.I have a number of things that I wear now that we're heavily influenced from the past,but are considered quite modern due to updated styling.For example I never liked or wore Desert Boots then ,but come October each year,I live in suede Tod's gommino boots ,jeans and MA-1.
    I also wore an earring around '79 .That is something none of us did before that ,as like tattoos,it was considered Ted/Rocker by our lot.I have had a Crombie since,but it was Navy Herringbone,dbl breasted with a velvet collar.I tend to only wear BD shirts as a very casual look,never with a jacket these days,preferring a full spread collar.I rarely buy short sleeves,preferring long,even in polo's.The stance of the buttons on jackets (as well as the number) has constantly evolved and been played with over the years,often determined in conjunction with the jacket length.I still prefer just the top button done,as long as it's not too high up.
    I think subliminally my Uncle was my greatest influence.He always wore exactly the same things for as long as I can recall.All Dark brown......suede loafers,moleskin trousers,suede blazers.
    I have constantly had all that kit in my own wardrobe to date,in some shape or form.

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

nice shot Mr K.Seems like the trousers are getting shorter also,showing more ankle than just shoe.I for one will be very glad to see this trend for full unkept beards disappear for good.

13. Basset

Basset Senior member

A walk around any city or a visit to numerous clothing websites, and you will see examples of this on people.
    A couple of years ago and you wouldn't have, im sure you understand the point im making

14. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Out of that picture Keith Richards is probably closest to the way I usually dress never the top button though of course, I suppose its not a very small look but whatever.

15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Basset. I went to that jeans shop in Bristol yesterday,i have to say that i have never seen so many different styles of jeans in one place ( mostly shite IMO ),i ended up getting a pair of Wrangler Ben ( they were out of Lee 101,except some 23 oz ones ).I think that the Wranglers are too tapered for a lot of people,but as the GF was buying them for my birthday i went along with her advice on what looked best.Anyone buying these jeans beware they are not true to size,i have had to buy a 32" waist and theres no way i am a 32 ( M and S trousers are perfect fit on me at a 36" waist and theres no way i am a 36 either ), so i would say that you have to try them on ,the bloke serving me admitted that there can be a size variation in the same jeans in different washes !. I tried on 2 different pairs of Levis in a 34" waist,one pair fitted ok but i couldnt even do up the other pair,he explained that by saying that they were different cuts !,the 34" Wrangler were too big so i would hesitate to buy online.Thanks for the info on that shop,by the way the bloke serving me was talking to my GF and referred to the shop as a " jeanery " hahaha.

16. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Indeed I do.

17. Man-of-Mystery

Mention Mars Bars and the Strolling Ones in the same breath and you're in difficult territory, mate. :D

18. Man-of-Mystery

Going totally off piste with this, but I couldn't resist sharing it!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

19. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

M-o-M, I wondered if anyone would pick up on my Mars bar quip,i have been told that story is not true it was actually a Cadburys selection box...Brilliant Benny Hill clip we both laughed, did you see the collars on one of those shirts ? worse than Brian Jones IMO.

20. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I have been trying to think of what I wear now that I didn't wear as a teenager. The list is surprisingly short.
    I now always wear a white T-shirt under BD shirts. Back then I had only just escaped having to wear vests (singlets) bought by mum. For some reason we always had to 'keep our chests warm'. We wore Ben Shermans without any vest.I started wearing Fruit of the Loom T shirts in my 20's.
    I always wear a belt with jeans,trousers. Back then my made to measure trousers had side adjusters and Levi jeans were shrunk to fit (I did the sitting in the bath routine) Sta prest were worn without a belt, but sometimes with braces.
    I have black jeans now, but not then (could they be bought in 1969?)
    Outdoor wear like Gore Tex jackets didn't exist then but are worn now.
    I wear a flat cap in Winter now. Back then I didn't wear anything on the head. (I liked trilbys with crombies but my mob didn't get them)

The big difference is that most clothes today are made in China and back then they would have been made in UK. We used to use the phase 'your clothes are made in Hong Kong, or Empire' to slag other boys off. Off course Made in Italy or USA had some status. I don't need to buy much today but I still make an effort to buy clothes made in UK, USA and Italy .