1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Mr Knightley.Great post.Mention of Grandpa and Dad really add to the tale. Clouseau.Your English is fine.Understand what your writing.Great stuff on the Minets.Thanks for posting. M.O.M.Good to get a description of life for the older Skins.TA

2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Thanks Clouseau.this takes me back to 1970 and my first crush/encounter with a young Olive Tanned French Brunette exchange student named Zoe.A very rare and exotic discovery in the N.Midlands.! To me she was a teenage Mirelle Mathieu.English birds just seemed grey in comparison.

3. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Gsvs5.Mirelle Mathieu.Was drawn to the beauty on the LP cover.The plus, I liked the music as well.

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

And there the resemblance ends. I own a Stratocaster but can only play three chords.

5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Thanks for the very interesting French Connection, Clouseau.

[Somewhere in the attic I have a pic of myself with a French girl I met on holiday in '69...]

6. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I wasn't suggesting there was anymore of a resemblance but it is a good piece of info for me, makes you wonder if you had ever ran into these people before they became famous doesn't it?

7. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

What has to be remembered is,when the picture appeared in the Daily Mirror a lot of us(I mean older ones)looked at it and said"time to move on".I always referred to myself as a Mod.Only when the media started calling us Skinheads- others saw us as that.I was lucky in having older Mates,around `67/`68 who pointed me in the right direction-changing from a "Peacock Mod".

The one thing I have not noticed is any of the older ones mention going to a Youth Club,when they were 13/14. .I did and this is where I picked up on Clothes and Records etc.,as well as playing Table Tennis etc..Some of the Members would bring in the latest Lps or 45s and would play them on an old Dansette.Later(around`65/`66)it was the Coffee Bars that took over-for me anyway.If you had a good Owner he would have Soul etc.,placed on the Juke Box,alongside the Pop.This was the best time for me,after `68 it changed.

Good to hear about the French youngsters.With M.o.M,I remember the French Students coming over-always smart looking.Unfortunately they were considered "fair game"so we would chase them around the Streets and Coffee Bars..:)

1 person likes this.
  9. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I'm into martial arts for a long time. One of my very strong Sensei used to tell us: first lesson: run fast![​IMG]

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau..This was Cato ?.....sorry i couldnt resist that. I know this is slightly off topic but were the 80s skins in France into football hooliganism ?,the reason i ask is when England played in Paris in 1984 our press mentioned fights before the game with England fans and French skinheads....i do not always believe our press.

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Mr Knightley, I am interested in the design of your blazer,3 buttons i presume,centre vent ? patch pockets ? brass buttons ? all wool ? navy or black ?. I read recently that there are only four tailors left in Liverpool all over 60,i know how difficult it is to find a tailor.I get simple alterations done by some very helpful Chinese ladies locally,but i think that made to measure will soon be a thing of the past.

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Not this one, but (and i am not joking !) i know a japanese sensei named...Kato [​IMG]!

I don't remember this peculiar game, but it must be true. there were a lot of French skinheads in the 80's involved in hooliganism.
    Then they became casuals...

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau, Yes i think that when the police realise " the guys with short hair and boots are the troublemakers,so watch them ", then these guys will start to wear something else to escape the attention of the police..its like going undercover or a kind of camouflage. I have been interested in your articles about the Minets,i think it is like Mod here,it happened then for particular reasons,youths having more money and choice of clothes,shoes,scooters ( in Britain ) cars,maybe a reaction against the war and the hard times after IMO. Anyway it could only happen then,in the early 60s because of the circumstances and the mood of the time,i think that is why a "Mod revival" misses the point, Mod and revival are two words that do not fit together a bit like "vegeterian meat",again IMO.

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Yes, hard times actually. In the sixties and even early seventies, everybody had a job here. Unfortunately, you won't see young guys in bespoke suit for a long time i guess.
    About the "Minets" im pleased with the reaction of you all. It is a little French contribution on a forum about a very English phenomenon...

15. bunty

bunty Senior member

Thanks for the info. on the 'Minets' Clouseau, very interesting reading. Some of those kids/students that I've seen in footage of the 1968 Paris riots were stylish buggers too! :D

16. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau. I think that it will be interesting to see what this present "austerity" time will produce in style.Will the youth now be creative enough to make their own cult ?, i think no but i hope that i am wrong.I have noticed that it is difficult to find good quality clothing,in shops where ten years ago you would find 100% wool blazers now the blazers are polyester/wool ,a sign of less money ?
    I looked at a Lacoste polo shirt this week,the material was much thinner than the one i had in 1982.I did like that blue Alpha summer type flight jacket,are they available in Europe ?... The thread has moved on 12 pages this week,some really interesting articles too !.

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Yes, about clothes, the quality is lower, but the prizes are higher.
    The MA1TT is available in Europe. I found a french website where they sell it, but i prefer to see it "in real"first.

18. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Regrettably there won't be many, if any more youth movements as we knew them. Everyone wants to be the same now - a real fear of standing out...

19. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Yes my man is at least 73! I found him on mod culture. The blazer is medium weight navy English wool, SB, 3 button, centre vent, slanted pockets with ticket pocket and MOP buttons - just about as formal as a blazer could be. That's what I wanted to sit alongside my old Kenzo linen one (which is fairly casual, of course ).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  20. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Well actually Bunty, they could have been the same guys. According to Bernard Bacos : "among the people who started the riots of May '68 at the Nanterre University you found several ex-members of "the bande du Drugstore"."