1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Bugger it - won't load. :embar:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

3. elwood

elwood Senior member

No, you didn't imagine that, Ed. I remember it too. Pocket edges would wear quicker than rest of jeans and in days when you didn't just discard and buy a new pair, leather edging would extend their life.

I do remember patching on inside but when knees on my first pair of Wranglers wore through (too much kneeling on carpet playing Subbuteo!) my Mum patched them on outside with black leather elbow patches! That wasn't unique round my way.

4. elwood

elwood Senior member

Don't know if I'm doing something wrong with this, Ed, but can't seem to play more than first 30 seconds. Great find, anyway.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 1973 - there's a girl there with bleached fringe (top right hand corner of frame at 00:25 in) and I do remember that being popular with girls then.

5. elwood

elwood Senior member

Do remember seeing young women in headscarves over rollers on a Saturday morning round my way in early 60s - and sometimes they were even popping to corner shop while still in slippers! My Mum did NOT approve ... Much tutting :)

6. elwood

elwood Senior member

Appears I was just being impatient. Persevered and have now seen properly ... and what a scary flashback! Had almost forgotten how awful male hairstyles had gone by then.

Does seem 73-ish to me - as you said, Ed, penny round collars and girls in dungarees and also noticed lots of smock-type dresses - and smoking on the dance floor!

7. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

:satisfied:

Hideous or what.

FTR: some supermarkets in the NW have banned women wearing jim-jams going into their shops - tramps! :slayer:
    (With apologies to any true 'knights of the road' who may have sauntered onto this thread.) :satisfied:

8. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Great video what's the story with the doormen they were really teddy boys? that main ginger one without a moustache looks like a real asshole, i remember someone mentioned something about doormen stealing coats if they were expensive so you didn't make that mistake twice after going to certain clubs, but they never really elaborated on trouble with them such as fights, I would assume it would be like anywhere else the police would be the club owner and his staff no matter how corrupt they were.

9. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

The Hammersmith Palais around that time early 70s pre 75 was offering free - or very cheap - entry on a Sunday which was marketed as ' International Au Pair' day or some such nonsense.

A very nice building and you could have a beer. Not very busy on those Sundays though. Music was always dire. Ray McVay and his orchestra would make an appearance at some point - even though nobody wanted them on stage. Forget about soul reggae or anything vaguely interesting musically. It was just a night out, somewhere to go.

10. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Likewise elwood.There was a phase when leather elbow patches were added to shetland wool crew necks even when there were no holes in the elbows,it was just a "Look".
    It just reminded me of my sister and her mates wearing almost knee length Angora/Shetland cardigans,levis and BD shirts (Brutus checks).Charcoal Grey was popular.
    The cardigans were lightweight and fitted,unlike the chunky cardigans the lads wore,and made the girls look slim and taller.Thier make up was also quite startling at times with lots of white stuff and blue around the eyes,reminiscent of a pack of Badgers!

11. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

The thing is that if you grew up in the 60's/70's you could still see the latent tell tale signs of mens previous lives in subtle details which they never lose.They didn't have to be wearing a Drape or Black leather,but you knew that they were once Teds or Greasers.They may be married with grand children but they might still have the chunky rings,swallows and love/hate tattoos,greased hair still kept close to the original style etc.
    It never ceases to irk me when I've seen revivalist skins wear the micro striped red/black cotton flat caps with the little buckle on the back.That was a Ted / Rocker thing.

2 people like this.
  13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Ivy I personally dont remember seeing flapped chest pocket on our BD's ?

1 person likes this.
  14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

15. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yeah though pretty nice. the flap pocket is OG Ivy League style, J Press like. Is it on the right breast or is it a mirror shot?
    Nick, where are you having them made, New England Shirt Company in Fall Rive'?

1 person likes this.
  16. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Ladies Day at Ascot:

[​IMG]

and Aintree..........

[​IMG]

17. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I like them.Even the pocket I like.If you don't mind,where are you getting them made and how much? On another note.Bought a jar of Natural peanut butter with the separated oil on top.Opened the jar and a large dolop of peanut oil lands on the top of my Clark's Suede Desert boots.Varied opinions about removing said stain.One person says it can't be done.Gotta get a second pair for dancing now.

18. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

I went to the palais in 73 and to football during that period and by and large it was a time to forget fashion wise although Rupert checked US golfing slacks , Topper Shoes and South sea Bubble jumpers and satin bomber jackets with shorter david essex style 50s barnets were better than most ... 74 it all changed and oxford bags , bowling shirts heralded the up coming Soul boy era .

19. Basset

Basset Senior member

You're spot on there mate, you've just described my old man.
    I've posted this before, me and the old fella 69/70
    [​IMG]

20. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Which one is you? :satisfied: We have a guy around the corner who still wears drapes and crepes... he must be about 75. :) Fair play to him, but sometimes you just have to let go...