1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

2. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

With inflation that should only cost £ 18 today especially since they are dealing in slave labor nowadays something is terribly wrong.

3. elwood

elwood Senior member

cerneabbas, you're right about the cover of the Richard Allen book "Bootboys" - one of the lads was wearing one of those scoop neck sweaters with horizontal rainbow stripes. They've been referred to (a lot) earlier on the thread as "bee jumpers" I think. Never knew them by that name round my way. But I will confess to having had one exactly the same as on the book cover, except mine was white not black. Mine was also long-sleeved; they were available sleeveless or with long sleeves. Had mine in 1971 I'm pretty sure, so by end of year would have indeed been wearing it with round collar shirts. Definitely something I could never imagine wearing again [​IMG]

4. elwood

elwood Senior member

I don't think you're alone in that dream, cerneabbas ... like your comment about possible benefit of the G8 dress down too [​IMG]

5. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

The shape looks like Allen Edmonds or Loake. Looks like maybe cordovan?

6. elwood

elwood Senior member

cerneabbas, it's also worth getting on the mailing list for John Smedley's Outlet sales. There can be some good reductions available.

7. elwood

elwood Senior member

I really only remember wearing striped ties. I had a black & white one I particularly liked. Can't say ever matched with handkerchiefs.

As for now, absolute no no for me would be "humorous" cartoon ties [​IMG]

8. elwood

elwood Senior member

cerneabbas, matching belt colour to shoe colour is something of an obsession of mine ... but a recent one (relatively speaking)

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

"The shape looks like Allen Edmonds or Loake. Looks like maybe cordovan?"

Sirryacus found they were Florsheim Imperials.
    i seize the opportunity:

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

[​IMG]

Florsheim shop in Chicago around 1900

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

elwood. Saw a tie less Ed Miliband making a speech today ( thankfully no sound on the tv in the gym ), their PR men must have told them that they have to ditch the tie to fit in with the ordinary folk.Well judging by the ordinary folk in Bristol we may soon be seeing MPs wearing jogging bottoms and string vests and making speeches with a roll up in the side of their mouth whilst swigging a tin of White Lightning or similar.On a positive note though it now leaves the tie for us to reclaim,i intend to wear one at every opportunity just to show that i have nothing in common with politicians !. I agree those cartoon ties are ridiculous,and quite unfunny.

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

elwood. Ha so my school days werent totally wasted...i remembered the cover of Boot Boys ! just to think that the teachers said that i wouldnt amount to anything ! Belts,why is it that belts described as " jeans belts " always seem to narrow for the loops ?. Matching belt colour to shoes isnt usually too bad just black or brown,1 of each for trousers and jeans,but recently i bought some tan coloured longwings ! then although the GF urged caution i decided to have the navy blue longwings as well !. Have you tried to find a mens navy blue leather belt for jeans or trousers ? its like a 3 button blazer,a decent priced easily available longwing brogue a unicorn or a politician wearing a tie,we think they must exist but where to find one ?

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

[​IMG]
    Paul Smith Navy belt.
    I always match belt and shoes color, and of course knitwear ans socks color.

14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau, An impressive looking longwing.After you mentioned Dexters i did a bit of looking around online and found a few American shoe companies besides the ones we all know ( Florsheim/ Alden / Allen Edmonds ) Nettleton, Stuart Mcguire,Bostonian
    Freeman and Hanover.I expect that these are well known by the American guys on here and they can probably name more but it made me think how many jobs were lost when these firms out sourced or closed down ?.I would also be interested in your opinions on the question i asked about ties.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Cerneabbas. I thought your question about ties was for the Originals.
    In my (humble) case, i seem to have the same taste as you.
    I wear plain colors, paisley patterns, polka dots. Tie is one of the rare item i buy in French brands.

16. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau.Wherever i go i look at the ties,it is nice to find something unusual. Good find with that belt,i like it so i know that it will be expensive !

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Paul Smith is always bloody expensive.

18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Anything that i like is usually expensive or nearly impossible to find !

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

About pocket handkerchieves, i never wear a hanky and a tie together.
    A bit overdressed for me.
    A tie only, or an open neck and an hanky.
    That's personal, i know...

20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau, Yes i agree with you,it can look a bit over dressed the tie/hankie combination.I agreed with Aces and Eights comment on dressing " subtly " he is so right IMO.As you have mentioned open necks,i always do up all the buttons on a polo shirt,the younger guys i work with always laugh and say its my style but i have always done it,i wonder if others here do the same ?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013