1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bunty

bunty Senior member

[​IMG]

It's that man again! Searching MA 1 jackets and this comes up.

2. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

More great photos from bunty.Cheers.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Those Dr Scholls were a big hit in France at the same time, mostly with girls. Few years ago it happened again with the Birkenstok, that looks quite the same (ugly thing) imho. The fashion always come and go, in an endless circle...

4. Stingy Brim

Stingy Brim Well-Known Member

This great thread goes on so long I haven't had time to read it all but anyway here are some cool clips from the original skinhead days if anyone hasn't seen them yet:

Hells Angels And Skinheads (1969 BBC Documentary)

All Dressed Up & Going Nowhere (Newcastle skins 1971 - check out the moustache on one of the older skins!)

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

[​IMG]
    This is a 1968 MA1 replica Alpha did some years ago. Supposed to be exact to te last details. (Note there is no orange color in the inside)
    Unfortunately, out of stock.

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau,A nice jacket,i wouldnt wear one now but when you saw a mob all wearing them at football it looked good. Is it possible to find a 3 button blazer in France ?, they used to be quite popular here but they seem impossible to get now.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Bunty, I think that picture of Steve Mcqueen is from Hunter ( he plays a modern day bounty hunter ) it was released in 1980 and he was dead by the end of the year...

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I wouldn't wear one either, but i would be tempted by this peculiar model...
    About three button jacket, i'm afraid they are difficult to find nowadays, the fad is two button jacket for some years now. But as i said fashion come and go...
    I still have one very old three button jacket i cherish (Tweed RL).

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau, Yes it is mainly all 2 button here,even some 1 button ( even worse ),double breasted still available but no 3 button single breasted blazers,its strange because it was always quite traditional. Coincidence about Alpha flight jackets,i got my navy blue one out of the cupboard on friday to show my "young lady", i must have had it about 15 years and i have hardly worn it ( another impulse buy,i had just had a tax rebate and i was feeling rich ! ) she said if you dont wear it sell it ( a practical lady ) oh no i cant do that i really like it ! daft really.

10. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

I agree about the crop - short for 1969, but they were getting shorter and some certainly had number 1s by March 1970. No formal segregation in those days. Away fans tended to go in the Open End, but if there were a lot of them and they were singing, some of ours would go in there after them. Incidentally, I was at that match.........

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Time to wear it, mate!
    They seem to be popular again...

12. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Mr. Knightly, I know exactly what you mean. I never had one, none of my mates had them, the older 'Hard Mods' I knew and have referred to before didn't have any. Just not part of the scene near us, The first I ever saw on a skinhead were in a photo advert in a magazine (Sunday Times? ) for floor tiles. I didn't think it looked right - we associated tattoos with Teddy Boys, Rockers and Greasers. I appreciate now that this was not the case everywhere.

13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

M & S is a godsend for those of us of a 'fuller figure', offering, as they do, some tidy clobber.

And while much of it - like everywhere else, nowadays - is sourced from the Far East, some judicious shopping on their website, and even clearance outlets, can throw up some half-decent gear.

Shirts, as you mention, plain knitwear and even socks can be had for good prices, with quality better than that which many 'labels' offer.

I am on a weight-loss regime and expect to have shed a serious amount of bulk by Autumn. (I do miss the beer, mind and it's only been a week!!!):slayer:

14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Ed Vaughan. About M and S,i only ever got my socks and lambswool jumpers there years ago,i thought that their stuff was very old fashioned.Now i buy the shirts that i mentioned,wool trousers from their sartorial range,i got some all wool puppy tooth check flat front trousers in a sale for £20 !,bought a raincoat for £45.Funny though i dont rate their socks anymore and i couldnt find any lambswool v necks the last time i looked. Good luck with your weight loss, i found out that cider has less calories than beer so i can drink more of it !

15. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

You's were asking about 3-button blazers, J Press still carries these, with the center vent and natural shoulders. Have some with patch pockets, some with normal. Wool and hopsack options.
    J Press is the other, lesser known, major Ivy League clothing supplier. Aside from their new York Street offshoot, they're as Trad/Ivy as they come.

http://jpressonline.com/casual-jackets/

16. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Botolph, Some nice looking blazers there,i think that Clouseau was right fashions go around and i guess that the 3 button will come again over here.

17. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Quote:This tailor thought very highly of M&S: http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000016.html My own tailor has a similar view of them. They are nothing like they were in the late 60s of course when some of their stuff was actually desirable rather than an OK alternative. By coincidence I happen to be wearing a pair of M&S puppy tooth check flat front trousers right now. Mine are so called 'Autograph' and a wool mix. About £30 I recall.

18. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Quote:I guess it will, but I got tired of waiting and have just commissioned one from my tailor. I have a first fitting next week and am quite excited....

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Funny that Botolph mentioned J.Press, i was looking at their site earlier this morning. It's a brand i know by reputation. On the contrary of Brooks brother, they don't have a shop in Paris. Nice looking stuff but expensive.
    About fashion going around, we were speaking of MA1: for years they were banned of this city, like if they had disappeared from earth, and for several months now : they are out again... But well, i will stick on my crombie next winter. (My wife says i look like a thug if i sport a Bomber jacket...)

20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau, I also think its an age thing with the Alpha jackets i liked wearing them when i was younger,not so sure at my age now. I have seen a nice crombie in Adam of London its herringbone very nice. I am seeing a lot of brogues,harringtons and button down shirts in the shops at the moment,they are all rubbish though !