Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of purchasing a pair of these. They're called Corcoran jump boots or US paratrooper boots. A little on the pricy side but they do look like brogues with trousers rolled down. You can wear them with suits with no one none the wiser. The older World War 2 corcoran jumpboots at the bottom on the other hand has a certain vintage "Doc Martenesque" quality to them. Anyone agree? Does anyone wear a pair of these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Thanks, just what I'm looking for. I kept coming up with what looked more like a track jacket listed as a bomber. Any idea if this jacket runs true to size? Ever have any issues with shipping to US from this company?
    yes it runs very true to size. I am a size 38 in nearly everything and wear 38 in these Their service is top notch. You order today, it ships tomorrow. I've bought many many many things from them over the years with no issues, and their shipping price to USA is very reasonable, downright cheap actually **^^^crikey those were huge ass cuffs!!! They eventually got sorted out but geebus, I forgot how big my cuffs can be on new denim that hasnt been hemmed yet

3. OHT

OHT Senior member

I bought some pants that still need some alterations. Until then, I just cuff them like 4times keeping my cuffs at 1inch-1 1/2 wide. They don't look bad but I would still prefer to get them hemmed/tailored.
    How much do you cut off when you get them altered?

4. OHT

OHT Senior member

M-o-M, I'm not sure if you already answered this but back in your day were there skinheads wearing clothes in sizes that were clearly bigger(shirts, jeans/pants,etc) or was it always that trim/slim fit look?

5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

M-o-M, I'm not sure if you already answered this but back in your day were there skinheads wearing clothes in sizes that were clearly bigger(shirts, jeans/pants,etc) or was it always that trim/slim fit look?

The fit was always supposed to be good. I recall when I had a PoW jacket made and it was too roomy I told the tailor to... er... keep it.

[​IMG]

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

How much do you cut off when you get them altered?

I have most of my jeans hemmed so that after a cuff they are 28" inseam, which is just short of no break. But I also keep some jeans longer and wear with a bigger 2" cuff since I think that looks better with certain shoes. The 1/2" sewn down cuffs are meant for boots wear, i find the 1/2" cuff looks a bit out of place with some shoes.

7. BarrelMaker

BarrelMaker Senior member

off topic but the fact that walmart is advertising christmas specials for $14.88 gets me every time.

8. herzzreh

herzzreh Senior member

Calling Get Smart... Say one likes the skinhead aesthetic (not the extreme oi one..), but generally doesn't care for the music and such. Would dressing as one (or just some elements of the style) come off as way too pretentious?

9. skacore

skacore Member

Nice but it's a shame the current FP monkey jackets don't have the elastic piping around the bottom that the previous one's had. Also not too keen on those zipped pockets.

I had a few vintage mj's down the years. My fave is a vintage navy blue with navy/light blue/cream piping (collars/cuffs/bottom). I've had it for about 15 years and the label is from a shop in Melbourne, Oz so could well have belonged to a Sharpie back in the day!

N.B. Typed in Fred Perry Monkey Jacket into google and the 4th pic is a certain well-known SF member! [​IMG]

SLA: Is the Warrior bomber closer to the look of the vintage one you have?
    [​IMG]

10. Southlondongent

Southlondongent Senior member

SLA: Is the Warrior bomber closer to the look of the vintage one you have?

Yep, pretty much looks-wise.

11. skacore

skacore Member

yes it runs very true to size. I am a size 38 in nearly everything and wear 38 in these

Their service is top notch. You order today, it ships tomorrow. I've bought many many many things from them over the years with no issues, and their shipping price to USA is very reasonable, downright cheap actually

**^^^crikey those were huge ass cuffs!!! They eventually got sorted out but geebus, I forgot how big my cuffs can be on new denim that hasnt been hemmed yet

Now that I look at the site, have to pick up some of the Gingham shirts, if I am going to pull the trigger on the bomber any experience with these? Necessary to size up due to slim fit? Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Calling Get Smart... Say one likes the skinhead aesthetic (not the extreme oi one..), but generally doesn't care for the music and such. Would dressing as one (or just some elements of the style) come off as way too pretentious?

there's nothing extreme about classic skinhead style, esp if you wear brogues instead of boots, belt instead of braces etc. Then it just looks like a well dressed city gent type look that would only be recognizable as "skinhead" to another well sussed skinhead. I'd rather see guys who werent actually skinheads dressing in smart skinhead attire, than see guys who claim skinhead be scruffy cunts

Now that I look at the site, have to pick up some of the Gingham shirts, if I am going to pull the trigger on the bomber any experience with these? Necessary to size up due to slim fit? Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

shirtwise their size 16 and 16.5 is like a US small, or Euro Med. I'd call their 16.5 to fit a 38 chest, and 16 to fit a 37 chest. For the FP bomber, get your measured chest size as it fits TTS

13. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

I'd rather see guys who werent actually skinheads dressing in smart skinhead attire, than see guys who claim skinhead be scruffy cunts TTS

I think that what herzzreh is getting at is would someone who started sporting a short haircut, Doc Martens, and a Fred Perry shirt but who didn't listen to ska or consider themselves to be a skinhead, be seen as a poseur? I guess there might be a fear of being inauthentic, or misappropriation.

14. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

than see guys who claim skinhead be scruffy cunts

These types often identify themselves as Nazi 'skinhead.'

But having been a skinhead in Los Angeles California, I've seen gangster types identify themselves as skinheads who look more like cholos than skinheads and indeed were cholo gangsters who for some reason gravitated towards Oi and began combining certain aspects of their gangster culture with that of skinhead fashion. Dickies often worn baggy and a plain white tank top. The only things remotely skinhead about them were the suspenders and the docs and the ocassional bomber jackets.
    While not all skins can afford traditional skinhead brands like FP, Ben Shermans, merc brand crombie and harringtons, I agree that a self respecing skinhead should atleast try to look smart and presentable.
    If only the average person unfamiliar with the skinhead culture knew just how expensive skinhead fashion really is. Most everyone especially in the US identify skinheads more like this guy, a racist biker with a shaven head and a goatee. WTF? Were goatees even skinhead style?

[​IMG]

15. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

WTF? Were goatees even skinhead style?

[​IMG]

Absolutely not!

Neither was organised racism. There was just about the level of racism that you would expect in a cross-section of mainly working-class society. IMO the guy in the above photo is about as far removed as you can get from being any sort of "skinhead" short of growing his hair long!