1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

The natural caution of someone close to the publishing business who has been involved in copyright and authenticity wrangles.

2. Man-of-Mystery

:D

I just chucked that pic of Dick Emery in for free, by the way - nothing to do with the discussion about the 1970 pic.

3. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

4. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Yes, mate.

Only once, did I ever have mine that short, and that was when a barber I used, not my usual guy, buggered-up my razor parting - it looked like I'd been hit with an axe - so I told him to take the lot off.

I won't labour it as I've mentioned it further back on site, that it had me excluded from school for a week and made me a bit of 'chap'... briefly. :happy:

Too short for my liking, but that's OMHO.

Re, segregation: I used to go with United onto the Kippax - but it was huge. :nodding:

WHU could be a bugger, as could most big London clubs, Smelland Road, too... but we were all young and daft.

Went onto the Gladys at Everton, but never the Kop. Not 'cos we were scared (I was) but because Liverpool Plod, particularly at Anfield, took no prisoners.

Happy days!!! :satisfied:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

My brother, aged 11/12 - 1970.

He will have been wearing monkey boots, unfortunately not in the shot. (Edit: the hand with the wedding band is not his, BTW!!!) :happy: Bad cropping.

[​IMG]

I'm trying to find the time to transfer slides to the mac as I know I have some old family pics from the period - bear with me.

Also trying to get an ex-gf to get her dad's pic collection for me to see as I know he took loads of her and i back in the day - wish he'd hurry up and peg-out. (He never liked me - and (apparently) still doesn't.) :slayer:

6. TomMc666

TomMc666 Senior member

7. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

More people eating fast food and the general trend towards wearing clothes that are so fitted to the point of looking too small I think.The boneheads in particular did this to the skinhead style and fucked it up.
    Thanks Tom, i just wrongly assumed he was about the same age as me (mid 50's) by the state of him now.I guess that is the toll that years of abuse and a poor health will burden you with.

8. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

9. ek77

ek77 Senior member

but were you ever so disbelieving when other new old pics turned up on here?? usally you just ask who has the owner rights.. ;)

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Ed Vaughan, I read the article and no mention of "us", but why ?. Maybe because the general public ( and history ? ) just think of us as big boots,jeans and braces. Lets face it even on this thread about 200 pages of posts seem to be about Dr Martens,so much so that they could have had their own thread ?. The smarter side of "our" style just doesent seem to be interesting to a lot of the people who were not around "back in the day ",whereas us older blokes seem more interested in the smarter clothes ( like we were then).

11. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

From a book called "rights", the north I presume as i spot a pair of driving gloves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  12. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

double post

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  13. Man-of-Mystery

Depended on various factors.

14. ek77

ek77 Senior member

Chris Killip, Youth on Wall, Jarrow, Tyneside, 1976
    [​IMG]

15. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Probably a drug swoop at the Wheel!

16. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

17. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I've seen this pic.Didn't know the year.The question I ask is.Is this a Pre-punk skin,still carrying the style from 6 yrs previous.Or is it a Skin commin out of Punk?Looks like he's wearing Baggy Trousers.

18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

yankmod. Or could it be some poor alcoholic / drug addict who found some Dr Martens in a bin or jumble sale....you guys have read over 800 pages and still think that Dr Martens and short hair is what skinhead / suedehead is about !

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Yes, don't want to sound mean, but he's just a bum with a borstal haircut and DMs.
    I am feel sorry for him, but too scruffy even for 80s plastic skins.

20. bunty

bunty Senior member

Great photo of your brother Ed.

Fantastic colour photos set too, I know what you mean, they do look too good to be true.

[​IMG]

Regulars from The Scene pretending to be the Temptations at The Forum in Rome, 1967. (Alan Daly)

2nd right wearing those Dr Scholls?