1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yeah, they're not steel toed. They sell some though. I like the "smarter" looking silhouette of the non-steel toed option.

2. Spirit of 89

Spirit of 89 Member

I don't blame ya there. Definitely a preference thing. I don't mind the non steel toe and think they look sharp...but as I don't wear DM style boots much and don't plan to...I really only need one pair to put into rotation and I'm kinda set on steel-toes. We'll see what happens with these WL ones I ordered but I'll keep my eyes on Solovairs's site from time to time to see if they come out with a ST option in a 6 hole style.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  3. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

4. elwood

elwood Senior member

This fella was Paris Match photographer - so serious pro using transparency (slide) film for magazines hence quality of images & colour saturation (maybe Ektachrome) & if old school 6cm x 6cm camera rather than35mm you could blow up big enough to cover side of building. Was this guy who took photos in French paper of lasttye's mates?

5. catchourbreath

catchourbreath Well-Known Member

You could always get ten (or 11) eye steelies and cut them down. If you get a cobbler to do it, they could re-stitch 'em too !

6. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Now we Know.Thanks for that elwood.Didn't want to say PRO but,few pics have turned up this clear.

7. Basset

Basset Senior member

Welcome mate, as Ace's has mentioned i do like me tats, the city of Bristol has strong links to the trade due to the work of one of the early exponents of the art, Les skuse was known worldwide to many tattooists and was responsible for tattooing many from this countrys first teenagers, namely teds, including my old man.

I cant speak as an original, as at that time i was still getting me undercrackers changed for me, but my first interest started with the old mans green/blue blobs on his arms, progressing onto bazooka joe bubble gums which came with waterslide transfers, and then onto the real thing.

I appreciate all styles as long as there done well but have a preference for, Japanese and whats now called old school/traditional styles.
    Sailor Jerry, Ed Hardy being some of my favourites, makes me laugh when i hear people mention the clothes designer Ed Hardy, i like the way Hardy took some of the original designs and tweaked them in the late 60's early 70's, a skull with eyeballs popping out of it for example, although some of it is a bit out there if you know what i mean.

A few pics of my stuff done by a mate who is no longer with us R.I.P Dave
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Spirit of 89

Spirit of 89 Member

Actually considered going the 'cut-down' route Catchour...but I think I'll see how the ones I ordered do first before I go that way. I do have a pair of 10 hole Chinese DMs that I hate that I may give that treatment to cuz I don't care about em anyway.

Basset....the pics of your tattoo-work are tits...much thanks for sharing. If I get some time in the next day or 2 I'll post some of my own collection if its of any interest. I fully agree with what you say about the whole 'Ed Hardy' thing. Had a youngish kid come in one time and was looking over a piece of classic Hardy flash. He goes 'cool man...Ed Hardy' his buddy asks what that is, the kid replies ' oh....it's that clothing line.....' Took all I had not to strangle the fuck out of him in our lobby :p

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Welcome Spirit of 89.3 of my Mates had tattoos done ,in the 60s.They all got a Crucifix done on the arm highlighted in blue(I nearly had one done).Do not ask me why-we were not religious or anything-but it beat the black panthers etc,which was the norm around `68/`69 on Greasers.:)

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I agree with Kingstonian on this.When I am getting ready to go out to a Reggae or Soul Do,I feel 19 again.I look in the mirror and there is this strange fella looking out-with wrinkles,grey hair and a large stomach.That brings me down to earth very quickly!!! I am not having a go at the revivalists but you see 40+ year olds dressed as Skinheads shouting and swearing and acting like 18 year olds-what is that all about???? :)

11. Spirit of 89

Spirit of 89 Member

Thanks for the contribution Brownie. I think I recall you mentioning the crosses a while back. That's not unusual though at all nowdays either. I get all kinds of wannabe thugs that get cross tattoos as though somehow getting them will 'set them right with the Lord' or negate the fact that most of them are drug dealers and low-life criminals. In keeping with the skinhead theme I figured I'd post a couple skinhead themed tattoos I've done over the last couple years:
    [​IMG]
    Not skinhead per se....but done on a skinhead buddy of mine and many skinheads do have an affinity for CO....
    [​IMG]
    This one is pretty self explanatory hopefully :p
    [​IMG]
    In real-life her head isn't quite as bulbous...it's on my buddy's thigh and I had him sit down to take the pic so I could get the whole tattoo in-frame.

****edit to Brownie**** I didn't mean to imply that your crew were 'wannabe thugs'...just the fact that people still get stuff on them that sometimes runs contrary to their actual 'beliefs'. I for one am of the mindset that tattoos don't need a meaning behind them. They should just look cool :) nothing wrong with getting 'personal' tattoos....but they don't all have to have a deep meaning.

12. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I've always wondered the significance of the black panther tattoo some of my old childhood friends great grandfather had one on his forearm and this guy was old enough to be your father so I'm not sure he was a greaser world war 2 connotations perhaps?

13. Spirit of 89

Spirit of 89 Member

If I can speak out of turn...there really is no significance to 90% of tattoos....now or then. At that time it was often whatever the particular artist had available. There were very few 'flash sheets' ( the stuff you pick off of the wall nowdays) as all the designs in those days were drawn and painted by the proprietor of the shop. You got what they had to offer...and that was it (a system I wouldn't mind returning to). There were very few 'custom' tattoos in the early days. But to confuse matters more...there were certain tattoos that did have meaning....even in the 'old days' (1950s and before) and most of them had to do with military service, and more specifically, often Navy related. As a quick example, having a chicken and a pig tattooed on the tops of your feet back then (and even now) is a 'talisman' to ward off drowning. That said 90% or more of tattoos from both then an now only had a personal meaning to the wearer...other than in more specific cases such as prison/gang tattoos.
    *****edit**** and the stuff I'm referring to above is strictly in terms of American style 'traditional' tattooing. What I've said above takes nothing into account about traditional tattooing from other cultures which has been around for 1000s of years. That's a whole other subject...and again....my point wasn't to derail the thread....but I will admit that I love talking about tattoos...especially older 'American traditional' ones regardless of what culture wears them. And I'd like to believe they have some tie-in with traditional skinhead culture...even if just regionally....and that interests me. But I don't want to go on about it, so as you were.... :p

1 person likes this.
  14. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I am one of the biggest topic derailers here unfortunately, I thought the tidbit was interesting in any case because I had never saw too many old timers with such visible tattoos as the guy would be over 90 years old if still alive today.

15. Spirit of 89

Spirit of 89 Member

Thanks for indulging ;)

If history serves....'modern' tattooing has been around since the 1890s so a 90+ year old nowdays with one or two though rare, isn't unheard of. My grandfather is 95 (and still with us) and although he's not tattooed I'm sure a few of his era were.

16. Spirit of 89

Spirit of 89 Member

On to another question that has been touched on but not really in depth from what I can remember of this thread: color schemes. What looked good together and what wouldn't you pair?

Specific colors of specific clothes has been mentioned (jungle greens, stone Sta-prest, brown/ox blood/black boots) ....but I'd like to hear more of how an outfit was put together if it pleases all.

For example...if you wore let's say black boots with a pair of stone Sta-Prest...were there certain color combinations of shirt, sweater vest/or braces, and Harrington/monkey jacket/whatever type of 'overcoat'....that made you feel especially smart? Or was that thinking too much into it?

17. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I do agree with the comment from browniecj about not being able to justify buying a suit,its not that i cant afford one,its more that i dont think i would ever wear it.i have been thinking recently about how older blokes used to wear a sports jacket and trousers for a smart look when a suit would have been a bit over dressed,in the early 70s i remember skinhead/suedeheads wearing suit jackets in the same way,with other trousers,sta prest or even jeans,this has been mentioned on this thread.so i am thinking about buying a sports jacket or maybe a blazer to wear with trousers,i know that i would wear this a hell of lot more than i would wear a suit,the question is where to buy a 3 button sports jacket or 3 button blazer in "our" style ?.

18. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Buttons, it's just that it's too 'posed'... To me it has the air of a later photo, not one from the 'original' era. I think it has been pointed out that in 69/70 MA1 jackets did not have orange linings.

19. Man-of-Mystery

A caption's just a caption!

20. Man-of-Mystery

Exactly.