1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Funny how what used to be a cheap textile would cost a fortune to get replicated today. Those machines are either in Japan or would have to be rebuilt.

2. Basset

Basset Senior member

Often thought that myself, looking at Levi's latest effort i think they need to try and make something that actually resembles trousers, if i was looking for off the peg i'd go somewhere like M & S and save myself 30/40 bar, they might not be that good but at least they'd be trousers

3. herzzreh

herzzreh Senior member

What to do to survive in a humid place like South Carolina? Bouncing between UK and NY, hot weather was never really an issue... at least not on the same level as US southeast. I guess it will have to be light-weave trousers and shirts.... forget about jeans and boots!

Also... What did people used to wear for rainwear?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  4. Watermelon man

Watermelon man Well-Known Member

Will, you're an intelligent man. Read what I wrote. I said that they were the closest to the originals I'd seen in 30 years (actually, now I have done the sums, in 20ish years, since the Levis shop locally closed).

I did not say that they were the same as the 1960s variety.

5. buttons

buttons Senior member

I wasn't having a dig, mate. There's just a lot more alternatives that are closer (even if most aren't very good).
    I usually wear originals or tailored ones so can't really comment on who does the best ones these days - I've not tried any of them.
    Sadly, I sold 20-odd pairs of originals ones to a mate last year as they were never gonna fit me again. Was a couple of pairs of Levis in there as well. Much more pressing things to do with my time than sell on ebay and they went to a good home.
    Damn that middle age!

6. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Priorities.Straight.Big Up.

7. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

Stapress have never been a option for me. Big thighs.
    The company i work for did start doing a nice cotton Trouser though, Which made me think to move up a size just take in the waist and seat a bit. Get some creases sewn in and small turn ups and they would be a better substitute for the retro and 'remade' styles brands are doing, like the fore mentioned levis..
    [​IMG]
    They do them in a navy, cream and Ice blue too. Might get a few pairs.

8. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

The Italian 566 Levi's Sta-Prest are the best repro that has been done http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEVIS-566-V...FUqBkBADq6ofV8LnqkRfI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

9. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

10. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

11. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Another pic from the series we all know well.[​IMG]

12. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

.[​IMG]The latest Levi's Suede Trucker jacket.$398 US.

13. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

In the beginning of the eighties, it was easy to find all types of sta-prest, even deadstock of the early seventies. If i remember well, some of the older ones were baggier. And they were cheap, like most, at the time, of the skin clobber.
    Anyway, today Brooks brothers are really the best. I found last year a cheaper (and quite good) alternative with a Uniqlo light chino that has most of the correct details (slanted pockets, back pockets, straight legs, stone or blue color, etc.)

15. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

If the ones yankmod showed were indeed the sta-prest of old, wrangler still makes one called the wrancher.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  16. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Nice 60's sta-prest commercial

17. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Fly-fronted macks, like 'Harry Palmer'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Spotted that yesterday. I would love one, but the UK site only specifies small and medium, and slim fit at that. I'll make enquiries when I am next at the Levi shop in Glasgow.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  19. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

20. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Quote:This picture seems to reveal the ‘truth’ about the way things were worn back then. The first point is that while clothes were slim fitting they were not tight as many believe today. It was a relaxed cut. The next is that shirts were almost always buttoned to the second button – quite discreet, not flashing lots of chest. This picture also shows just how uncompromising braces could be – pulling the trou just that bit too high up. That’s why many skinheads hardly wore them. My last point is that the picture reveals just how hard it was to turn up sta-prest in a satisfactory way. They almost always ended up looking botched how ever skilful you were. The fabric was just so hard to work with.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013