1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

1 person likes this.
  2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Brownie, this is precisely why I asked. I clearly recalled that 'Walking Proud' had been suggested.

I think the image you're thinking about was Jason's graphic, which I have been using on the agency web site just to add a splash of colour. It's not necessarily going to be the book's cover.

4. Man-of-Mystery

Same in S E London, I seem to remember, now you come to mention it.

5. Man-of-Mystery

All good stuff, snappy, but doesn't quite carry it, I think. We weren't just in the back streets, we were on the high street, in the clubs, and on the saunter 'Up West' too.

One reason why I like Walk Proud or Walking Proud is that it is short and sharp, just two words. What isn't conveyed by that can be conveyed by a sub-title in smaller letters (for example - The Skinheads of '69 in their own words) and by an eye-catching cover illustration. The illustration should show more than the 'boots and braces' image, but not exclude it - back in the day we could dress up really smart but we could also be scruffy cnuts.

A word of warning. If the book is accepted by a publisher, then we will not necessarily have any say in cover design. They could even insist on a different title. To be sure of retaining control we would have to self-publish, which could cost a fair bit.

Anyhow, here's how I think things stand:

Title: We had pretty much settled on Walk Proud or Walking Proud. However, neither of these is set in stone. If anyone wants to suggest something else, then do so. We have loads of time to spare (collating the material is turning out to be a much longer job than I had thought it would) for re-thinking this if we want to. I'll take notice of anyone's opinions.

Cover: I had two or three designers/artists already suggested for this job. There was Jason (GetSmart) and another bloke I've kinda lost touch with. Jason's is the red/blue/white design below. Neither of these is a finished cover; they're both mock-ups to give a general idea. There would be lots of details which would need tweaking.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Added to those I have another contact (thanks to John 'Mr Knightley') I've not formally approached yet.

We might even be able to make what they call a 'montage' of snaps from back in the day. I haven't given up on that idea either, now that a lot more are coming out here and there.

The main thing is, we'll get there. We'll have a book one way or another, and the material in it will be pretty damn good.

6. buttons

buttons Senior member

Quick snap of Browniecj and Buttons at a reggae do in Nottingham at the weekend.
    I even got to meet Mrs Brownie.
    Great night.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

MOM,
    imho about the sketches, Jason drawing is good, but the style and the "no face" character reminds me to much of the Last resort's crucified skins designs. They have nothing to do with "Walk proud" and the Originals.
    And the second sketch is, for me, a no no...
    I think that the style of the "Jim ferguson fashion notebook" drawings is very good. They have impact and accuracy. And they are in black & white, like most of the pictures you may use for the book. Maybe could they be some kind of an inspiration for the artist.

8. Man-of-Mystery

The image below gives you a rough idea of what a montage cover might look like, going for straight impact, showing smart/scruffy, nice/nasty (Okay so Pete Heed always called himself a mod, but his pic is too good to miss!) boy/girl.

I'm going to say (c) Paul Thompson - not to be copied from this forum for the simple reason that too much from here is popping up all over the web, not because this mock up is anything special.

[​IMG]

Levi Strauss might object to use of their brand name, but as I say, this is just to give you an idea of what can be done. I've deliberately left my own fizzog off this.

9. Man-of-Mystery

Like I said, neither of those is a solid suggestion for the front cover, just examples of artwork that has been seen so far, to give an idea what the artists could do, what their style is like.

Jim Feguson's drawings have been discussed before (we have permission to 'quote' from them, but I guess not to put them on the cover - in any case he is too associated with another book), and their accuracy has been called into question. But I take your point. Maybe you'll like the montage idea.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  10. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

MOM,I like very much the montage (or collage) idea). About the Jim ferguson notebook drawings, i was thinking of them as an inspiration for future drawings, not to use them again.

11. Man-of-Mystery

Plus photomontage que collage. :)

12. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I like the Photo Montage.Would help to identify (60's Skins) and Intrigue (original photos instead of an illustration which may not indicate the years) I wonder if it's a waste of time to try and interest an audience that has no knowledge of Original Skins.Might be too wide a net to cast.Choosing and narrowing the choices for Photos will be tough.Getting an Artist with Computer Graphic skills would help.

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

f you don't mind my input and knee jerk reaction.....

Skin & Tonics -- A Few Good Years of British Style

14. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

I like that. Brilliant.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Hi Cerneabbas.

I was in the area this afternoon of a Bexley shop (35 Bd Henri IV, Paris 75004)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Took pictures of their Longwing.
    Bexley is a French make. The leather comes from France, but the shoes are made in Italy or in Portugal.
    In the "dress shoe" category, like the models in picture, you'll pay 129 euros for one pair, 209 euros for two pairs.
    They don't look too bad, but i think they are not as sturdy as Loakes, to stay in more or less the same price category.

Cheers

16. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I wish i could use photoshop to show what is in my head.....
    An idea i had for a cover was something like these ,but using '69 era scooters a having the bulk of the image in colour and the mirror reflection in B&W showing an image from the original period also.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it gives the connection with Mod,the sense of reflection on history while being relatively modern in style.
    Costs might be a problem though !

17. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau. Thank you for the pictures and information.I had wondered where the Bexley shoes were made.Two pairs for 209 euros would be £88 each pair,i think that the Loake is £120.I think that the Bexley shoes look very smart and i will get a pair (a not too expensive experiment) they are slightly different to what is easily available locally and i quite enjoy being different.

18. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

I saw Major Lance play in October 1973 - there were only about two dozen people there!

19. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

I agree.

20. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Very clever - probably the sort of word play that would "hit the spot".

How about:

"Short and Sharp"
    "To Grade One and Back"
    "Rough and Smooth"
    "Styling 69"
    "Cream of the Crop"

......just off the top of my head........