• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When my Missus said she was leaving because of my obsession with The Monkees, I thought she was joking. And then I saw her face......

Well remembered Brownie - that fantastic photo, fella second left - is that leather or denim? Thanks for putting that up again Aces and Eights.

This Picture shows a Levi Jacket and a Leather one-I believe.

I would be interested in a date for that visit to Guildford. In all my time in London I don't think I ever saw a single mod or skinhead in a Levi jacket. It was the first thing that struck me when I moved down (up?) there in 1968. Okay, I spent most of my time in an area between Croydon and Deptford, so S E London, but I did get up West and to Upton Park and other places.

The date for the Guildford Trip was late `68/early `69.I remember seeing my first Skinhead(the Bovver Boy Look)in `68(Brixton).I can still see him,in my minds eye-a Mixed Race Boy with a faded Levi Jacket,Jungle Greens and Black Commando Boots.I bought the Commando Boots soon after.M-o-M we can argue between us about this subject of Jackets,but I know when I bought mine and I know they were worn in London(maybe not everywhere).I have said in the past about things being worn,and then got shouted down-only to get Photographic Evidence of them I did not carry a Camera around with me so I could not "record" Events.What abouit the Boys on the Beach??????

yankmod

Reaction score
Gents what about these lite brown overalls.In this still from a film,the guy on the far right is wearing them and

In this shot of Ausie skins as well

Realy like the Ausie polos and cardigans with stripes.I read they were made to order locally(Melbourne I think)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe we have an "Age" thing here.Maybe 16/17 year olds did not wear Levi Jackets,I have seen loads of Clips showing them wear Cardigans,Sleeveless Pullovers,Shirts and Braces and Boots-but not too many wearing Suits or Suit Jackets.Now we know they were worn.In your case may I suggest that-yes we are about the same Age,but you went to College and you did not have the money to spend.So you did not do so much "Window Shopping" as I did.I am not saying I was wealthy.Mile End Boys wore the Jungle Greens and Levi Jackets,and they were certainly worn on the Docks.

yankmod

Reaction score
I believe we have an "Age" thing here.Maybe 16/17 year olds did not wear Levi Jackets,I have seen loads of Clips showing them wear Cardigans,Sleeveless Pullovers,Shirts and Braces and Boots-but not too many wearing Suits or Suit Jackets.Now we know they were worn.In your case may I suggest that-yes we are about the same Age,but you went to College and you did not have the money to spend.So you did not do so much "Window Shopping" as I did.I am not saying I was wealthy.Mile End Boys wore the Jungle Greens and Levi Jackets,and they were certainly worn on the Docks.
We've all seen this Doc.3 seconds in around the pool table there is a kid with a Levi's denim.This is east London as you can see there is Steve Thompson(wanna be journo)of Danny Eccles crew.The date given to this doc is Jan.69 and when Steve is in the barber chair he says he got into the skinhead scene 8 months prior which would have been April 68. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00jy2zh

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Easy does it, Ed - my mum was born there!
The rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester goes back to the 19c when the Manchester Ship Canal was built and loads of jobs disappeared in Liverpool.
Apologies: your mum, bless 'er, was obviously the exception. :)

Scousers: started with nothing and still have most of it left.

The rivalry lives on, on, on!!! :happy:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We've all seen this Doc.3 seconds in around the pool table there is a kid with a Levi's denim.This is east London as you can see there is Steve Thompson(wanna be journo)of Danny Eccles crew.The date given to this doc is Jan.69 and when Steve is in the barber chair he says he got into the skinhead scene 8 months prior which would have been April 68.   http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00jy2zh

Thank-you yankmod.I looked at that Clip earlier and missed it.So Lasttye and M-o-M,can we now put this to bed.There were bloody Levi Jackets worn in London and by younger Skins as well !!!!

Skin 74

Reaction score
Gents what about these lite brown overalls.In this still from a film,the guy on the far right is wearing them and

In this shot of Ausie skins as well

Realy like the Ausie polos and cardigans with stripes.I read they were made to order locally(Melbourne I think)
There not really skinheads there Sharpie's. In the early 70s there were skinheads in Melbourne, guys that had come out from the UK
& aussies that had seen skinheads on telly and in magazines. Then when skinhead gaveway to smoothie and so on in the UK, Melbourne it went into Sharpie. Sharpie lasted well in to the mid 80s & skinhead reemerged 79/80 and has been in Melbourne since. You still see the odd Sharpie in northern Melbourne from time to time and i meet a 20 year old one at a tattoo shop last year.
As for the Cardigans there called "Connys" made in small run's in melbourne.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
I find it hilarious when the interviewer first compares the skinheads to the hells angels, baits them into talking about pakistanis and then tells the barber a lot of people of your generation are worried yet the guy is no where near as old as the kids parents.

ek77

Reaction score

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

as you said, most of them pix are well known and some of them i didnt want to see, haha....
never saw this one before:

August 15, 1970
Lots of denim jackets there... OOOOOOPPPPPSSSS!!! :happy:

Wrangler jeans, too - probably from up this way.

Edit: I never really liked my jeans without a visible turn-up - just didn't think they looked right.

There again, I was/am a shortarse, and it would not be unusual for my mother to have to cut 3-4 inches off jeans before turning them up.

Hated the look where lads didn't cut them and just turned them up inside... with a visible line showing where the unwanted denim was.
-
Yes, I do have a touch of OCD. :nodding:

Last edited:

Studio1st

Reaction score
Have been reading this for a while and thought i'd sign up and contribute a little if i can (not a skin - was once and admire some elements of the style). The issue of Norverners and jean jackets/patches comes up in this thread about Norvern skins and rare soul which might interest some: http://www.soul-source.co.uk/soulforum/topic/240448-early-skinheads-soul-rare-soul-68-72/

Another Guildford resident, I've had a few local cabbies tell me what it was like back in the day - and what acts came to town. And of course there's a clip of Max Romeo talking about Gfd skins wanting to kick someone in for racially abusing Maxie.

That picture of the denimed' Utd lads loitering outside the public lavs is a shocker - i've seen it elsewhere captioned 'cockney reds'. about right for that lot:)

Mark

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads