1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Did you guys ever wear the Lee Riders Pants? I'm sure these could be had for much cheaper than the jeans. Here is an example.

[​IMG]

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Personally speaking-no.I was always Levi.

3. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Yes I did. I was/am a big fan of Lee Riders. I started wearing Levi first but when all my mates were in Levi's some of us started wearing Lee. It was always a case of trying to be one step ahead and outsmarting your mates. Recently I have been drawn back to Levi's. Probably some nostalgia thing. I visited New York in 1977 with my girlfriend when Freddie Laker introduced cheap flights from the UK and found a warehouse store, down near the Brooklyn Bridge, that had Lee jeans piled floor to ceiling. We both bought a couple of pairs as they were half the price in USA compared to UK (nothing changes). The owner gave us some free leather Key fobs with the Lee name on. I still have mine.

4. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

You're not kidding Buttons.I've come across so much poor information even on the high end Japanese brands that have very limited distribution,and from authorised retailers,it's no joke - especially when you are dropping in excess of $300 a pair for some jeans.Buyer beware.I've mentioned earlier my dissatisfaction with Levis and have long ended my respect for them.
    Alpha has also moved production overseas,and the MA-1 is another minefield with limited repro models from them,Buzz Rickson,The Few,McCoys,BIG etc and reaching almost $900 at the top end of the Nylon models.I've built up enough stock to see me through the next 20 years by which time hopefully I will have come to my senses and wont give a fcuk !

1 person likes this.
  5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau. I remember being in the Champs Elysees on a sunday night to get a bus back to England,there was a group of French Skinheads wearing flight jackets jeans and very big boots being watched by some CRS guys wearing even bigger boots ,this was 83 or 84. Thank you for the information on Dexter brogues,i have looked and they made some very smart shoes.

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Lasttye, I have been looking at Dexter longwings/wingtips online ( Clouseau mentioned the make), in images there are some pictures of black pebble grain leather Dexters.What do you think? I know its not the traditional look but i reckon they would look really smart with a good shine on them.

7. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Just as I remember it. Mostly black in the "Royals" style. Tan and ox-blood still around in traditional brogues style. I had some ox blood ones in 1972. Wore 'em for the first time to Blackpool on Easter Bank Holiday Monday - my feet were blistered for days!

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Cerneabbas, Dexter longwing existed in pebble grain, but not only (see picture). The brand still exists, but the company was sold, and i'm not sure that the shoes they do now are of the quality they used to be.

[​IMG]

9. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Elwood - I've been in a state of shock for the last 10 days!

10. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

Question for the non-American posters on the site:

Although it may not seem like the question has anything to do with traditional skinhead fashion, it does.
    I was just reading an article online that generally speaking Americans are considered the worst dressed people in the western world. By worst dressed the article stated slovenly and lazily dressed. GQ magazine voted the city where I'm from Los Angeles as the country's second worst dressed city. As an insider I can definately attest to that. In a city where flip flops, loose fitting t shirts with tacky prints and shorts are the norm, people here consider a button down shirt and a nice pair of fitted pants and a pair of plain caps or wingtips to be "formally dressed" and will often get you stares to the point that you are made to feel like some arrogant tosser full of himself. Properly tailored fitted pants that fit the wearer like they are meant to fit are considered "tight" and "gay" looking in America where lose and baggy are nearly uniform here. In America people don't seem to have a concept of what constitutes formal attire and what constitutes looking smart and presentable. To me formal means a suit and a tie, semi-formal is a suit without a tie.

Its been established from previous discussions on this board that American fashion was an important element of the traditional skinhead attire, American long wings, and the smart ivy league fashion. Did you original skinheads growing up in the 60s view Americans back then to be smartly dressed, unlike today when Americans have a notorious reputation for looking scruffy? Even expensive stores in America considered "hip" and "high end" like Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister are just full of boring shitty looking clothes that would be considered crappy style by European standards.

Having visited London and other parts of Europe several times myself I can definitely say that the stereotype of the badly dressed American has a ring of truth to it. I mean compared to the average Londoner or Parisian Americans certainly have no fashion sense. Did you original skinhead guys feel differently about American fashion sense in the 60s?

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau. Yes i did a little research about Dexter and as you say the firm was sold and now seems to make cheap shoes,its a shame. The pebble grain longwings interested me because it is a bit unusual ( especially in black ),i thought that the shape looked good too.Maybe the American guys can tell us more,hopefully that there are many New Old Stock shoes available ( i am always hopeful).Another shoe firm i came across while looking at Dexters was Stuart Macguire,they also made longwings and they also seem not to exist anymore.

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Darksideoftheforce,Thats a good post,firstly i think that you (and Yankmod,in one of his posts) should take the stares and hostility of the badly dressed as a "badge of honour",would you want to be welcomed by them ? NO, their disapproval is good news!.Secondly i do not think that is just the American people who have become scruffs,in England its not just the young but older people who dress badly,it seems like very few have any pride in their appearance these days.I think that smart skinhead/suedehead were very smart styles and i try to dress in a similar way but slightly updated (maybe not quite the right word).In the 60s early 70s most people made more effort to dress well as certain standards were demanded (dress codes), only on saturday i was telling my "young lady" that i missed not wearing a tie on occasion. I think that as a working class man i made an effort when i went out on a night,maybe i was saying "i might have to wear overalls at work but when i come out i can show MY style and pride in myself".Of course there were smart filmstars or footballers like Bobby Moore who dressed well.....as a style icon we had Steve Mcqueen,who have the youngsters got now Pete Docherty !,the rich and famous now seem to go out dressed like slobs.I think smart skinhead/suedehead took some of the Ivy league styles and some city gent and traditional styles because it looked smart and clean cut and showed that the wearer was making an effort and had some self pride in himself.I get a bit depressed when i look around me,thats why i am happy to have found this thread and some people who have similar ideas to me.

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Cerneabbas , If you like them mate why not? ..Think Church's do a pebble grain in a brown..and they look cool, Very Country wear,:)

14. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Darksideoftheforce.I've spent the last 30+ plus years looking around me at the Lack of style.It's not a new situation.I was originally attracted to Mod and 2 tone style cause around me was Late 70's disco polyester crap.Keep wearing the smart style maybe some folks in L.A will take notice and be influenced.The folks with style in L.A. were usually part of the underground music scene(Indie,Punk,Ska) And that world has changed.Walk proud Brother.

15. Darksideoftheforce

cerneabbas, I'm the same. I try to keep my wardrobe as traditionally skinhead/suedehead/mod updated to the 21st century (if that even makes sense).
    I can't count the number of times I've heard people say "why are you so dressed up for?" When did wearing a pair of something as simple as fitted staprests, loafers and a FP tennis shirt become considered "all dressed up?" Wasn't there a time when they were only considered casual? Mind you that is only a normal summer wear, imagine how it is for winter when putting on jumpers, or a crombie style coat? That would really be considered "over-dressed."

Anyway you're right, I think one of the reasons why people have stopped caring about how they dress in public is the destruction of rules of etiquette; dress codes. Replaced by an anything goes mentality. And you were bang on, about people making an effort back then because there was still a sense of etiquette to live by. Nowadays, its, want to eat at a sit restaurant looking like you just got up out of bed? Go right ahead, you'll still be served. In other words there aren't any consequences for looking inappropriate in public anymore.
    I understand alot of people are on a shoestring budget, so am I, but you can buy smart looking clothes at reasonable prices and still look smart.

16. Darksideoftheforce

Yankmod, that's also one of the reasons why I've tightly hung on to the smart traditional skin/suede fashion, partly in protest of the crap around me.

Glad to see I'm not alone in feeling this way.

17. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I run across far more vintage florsheim and bostonians than vintage dexter, vintage shoes from freeman are also another you could possibly look into they come for sale new old stock more often than the others for some reason.

18. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Had a bit of a dilemma on Saturday night at the local pub whilst enjoying a couple of sherbets... there was this young lad (in his 30s, so young compared to me), noticed him straight away as he was wearing a stone coloured Harrington style jacket and checked shirt (see my previous posts - always prefer striped shirts against the trade mark lining of a Harrington, but that's another story).

Anyway his hair was short(ish) but scruffy, so already thought he was letting the side down, but it got worse, a lot worse... he took off his jacket and had red clip on braces so he was obviously making the effort but the shirt was baggy and looked poor quality, I then looked down - nondescript jeans, poor show and then, horror of horrors - trainers (or daps as we call them down here).

So the dilemma - give him gentle advice, tell him where he was going wrong or berate him mercilessly and turn him into a quivering wreck (I was tempted by the latter, but the missus as ever didn't want a scene).

BTW Basset - it was the Red Lion in Staple Hill - so par for the course :satisfied:

19. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Pressure_Drop.That is a dilemma. I've witnessed the same. Problem is you assume he is tryin to be a skin(with little success)and yet you may find in reality he's not tryin to be skin but has cobbled together a few threads and has no "eye"and done a poor job.Speaking of Jeans.Back in 82 I found some Levi's in the Salvation Army.They were a soft cotton.Slim fit in black, grey and off white.Never saw them sold anywhere else.Anyone remember them?

20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Sirryacus. I really thought that those black pebble grain Dexters looked something special,smart and different.Can you tell me where its best to look online for new old stock shoes ?