• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

bunty

Reaction score

You are right Pressure Drop, this is often Londoncentric. The divide is as you say too. I lived on the very fringes of London and my recollection is often at odds with Roy's, for example.
In the case of denim jackets I recall they were popular in my area (and the cord equivalent) but much earlier and as part of the hard mod look - as it has since been labled. Come 1969 they were 'out'.

This is what I've heard too Brideshead, Levis jackets stayed 'in' right from early mod ( for a good look it was apparently worn well washed out and teamed with trousers, shirt and casual shoes....anyone else wear it like this? Brownie?) The lads around here got around a lot and pinched clothes ideas from other crews all over the place, not just London. Then claimed them as their own. Sneaky buggers.

Aces and Eights - going back a few pages, you'll be pleased to know that 'cow horns' were still very big news in the early to mid 70s as stated by Harrysgame, but did you wrap fur around yours? :D......I can still remember the shrieks of terror as 'Tesco Tearaways' flares were caught in the cog and wrapped around the chain, so we used to wear football socks and tuck all that surplus denim into them. Neat eh?

Last edited:

yankmod

Reaction score
Can anyone tell where these guys are from by the ''football scarf""

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is what I've heard too Brideshead, Levis jackets stayed 'in' right from early mod ( for a good look it was apparently worn well washed out and teamed with trousers, shirt and casual shoes....anyone else wear it like this? Brownie?) The lads around here got around a lot and pinched clothes ideas from other crews all over the place, not just London. Then claimed them as their own. Sneaky buggers.
Aces and Eights - going back a few pages, you'll be pleased to know that 'cow horns' were still very big news in the early to mid 70s as stated by Harrysgame, but did you wrap fur around yours? :D......I can still remember the shrieks of terror as 'Tesco Tearaways' flares were caught in the cog and wrapped around the chain, so we used to wear football socks and tuck all that surplus denim into them. Neat eh?

Bunty,.My Levi Jacket was new(dark Blue to start with)then it became more faded,this became the norm,again really faded ones being worn with Jungle Greens..I actually remember seeing them worn with Levi Cords-especially the Beige ones.I do not know about the Trousers and Shoes bit,until I started going to Northern Soul Dos.I will rack my Brains!!!!!! :)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to look for Ace and Eights` Photo-of his Brother and Mates.

el norte

Reaction score

Can anyone tell where these guys are from by the ''football scarf""

That photo was posted earlier on this thread. Said they were Barrow but pretty certain they're not.

Still, they're definitely scruffy enough to be from up my way :D

Last edited:

Aces and Eights

Reaction score

My wife has found this photo from her brothers effects from when he passed away 30 years ago. This was taken around 1965. we are not sure if this is Margate or another seaside resort around the Kent or East Sussex coast. they look to be wearing Levi jean jacket, fly front mac and button down shirts.

These lads would have been from the Lewisham South London area

Is that a portable record player in the front of the picture?
Colin - this is the photo you are looking for - the 'trouble and strifes' late older brother

Back on page 563 Ed has enlarged and refocused it for a clearer picture

Last edited:

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
Aces and Eights - going back a few pages, you'll be pleased to know that 'cow horns' were still very big news in the early to mid 70s as stated by Harrysgame, but did you wrap fur around yours?
biggrin.gif
......I can still remember the shrieks of terror as 'Tesco Tearaways' flares were caught in the cog and wrapped around the chain, so we used to wear football socks and tuck all that surplus denim into them. Neat eh?

Bunty - in the 60s we could only dream of owning a bit of fur - we had Esso tigers tails and yer dads bicycle clips !!

ek77

Reaction score

That was the pic cover of the 'Sknhead Moonstomp' single, I believe, and the guys were from Blackpool, but after my time.
I'm laughing a bit about this subject because Bristol has been given an honorary Northern status, as regards Levi jackets. :D

it was the album and not the single.. ;)

bunty

Reaction score

Here is Mike Nesmith in his Levi's Denims

When my Missus said she was leaving because of my obsession with The Monkees, I thought she was joking. And then I saw her face......

Well remembered Brownie - that fantastic photo, fella second left - is that leather or denim? Thanks for putting that up again Aces and Eights.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

or he was just breaking it in for a mate!!  as you do

Y'know, that's a bloody awful jacket, when you stop to think of it - the bleach patches. I'm trying to remember why I borrowed it. Maybe I was cold. I would never have worn it in London. I was either cold, or I was showing my mate how we used to wear them when I lived up North - two buttons done up. That two-hands-in-the-arse-pockets thing is very 'North' too. Maybe I was having a relapse. :D

The past seems to become all hazy...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doesn't surprise me at all M-o-M, this thread has always been a tad 'Londoncentric' don't you think? :nodding: I've always thought the North/South divide is a misnomer, it should really be a London/Rest of the country divide, so if that means us Worzels being lumped in with our Northern chums so be it.
OK we all know that London is the centre of the universe :worship: and that all fashion/trends/cults emerge from this great city (although the Casual scene may dispute this) but just because you Cockney geezers haven't seen a particular item of clothing/footwear/headwear it doesn't mean that it's necessarily a bad/Northern thing and to dismiss it out of hand surely?
Oh well, let's get me wellies on, start up me tractor and go out and dig up some mangel wurzels. Ooooh, aaaar.

Well to be fair a lot of things, most of them in fact, did start in London, and Londoners had access to a lot of fashions first. But a few things seemed to happen independently outside London - mainly the things that Roy says we wouldn't be seen dead in - and some things never seemed to catch on outside London (I remember the looks I got on my first trip back to Blackpool, when I was wearing a pair of jungle greens!).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads