Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

Looks good. Personally I don't mind the collar at all on the MR shirts.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I understand what your saying but,the question of "politics"is gonna come up from the folks who don't know and want to learn.Some of the originals have told stories which illustrate that "politics"wasn't part of the movement(how could they be,they were teens into fashion and the definition of cool,what does any teen anywhere know about politics?)Every new person looking at this thread who are not skins are gonna want clearification on this subject.Unfortunately this devide is going to remain as long as there are "boneheads" around.I think it's important educationally to address the issue when the uninitiated ask.I think it also keeps the 'boneheads" from thinking this is a place for them.There is usually more to a "subculture"than just fashion(what influences said fashion choices)And if you make this just about fashion then you ain't tellin the whole story(the working class angle is important to this subculture)Someone recently told a story about jamaican gangs and asian gangs getting into it.I thought that was an important story especially for those ignorant folks who think your all Nazi's.You original skins are very important to the young folks who want to know.Original Skinhead culture has influenced so many other cultures that your gonna get all kinds of people on here who are tracing their own subculture back to yooz guys.Cheers

3. buttons

buttons Senior member

Couldn't resist ....
    [​IMG]

London '69 I believe. mind you, he did say he thought it was someone else's jacket he was wearing.

4. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Two things.Found this photo.Do you folks think it's original?I'm wondering cause of the car.
    [​IMG]
    Also this guy looks like he's put a Levi's tag on his Denim jacket.
    [​IMG]

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Interesting,bought back memories,of when I was a Kid.Never went "Hop Picking" but went with my younger Sister to a Farm-Harvest Time.Hard work but great being in the Country.One thing that was not too well advertised about "Hop Picking",was the rise in unwanted Pregnancies.Read the original "Call The Midwife" and there is a whole Chapter on that(it never made it into the Series on B.B.C.).All true Stories about being a Midwife,during the 50,in the

I am wondering if this had anything to do with "Cock Sparrer".

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Its funny how the Patch(being sewn on the Front)was popular in the West Country and the North.Was it because the West Country Skins copied the North?
    I was the same as Ace of Eights,wore my Levi Jacket(`68 onwards)with Jungle Greens or Cotton Trousers-never with Jeans.:)

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Ace and Eights-need to change my Glasses-sorry Mate!!!!:D

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

You've just reminded me, Roy, about a conversation I had back in about '69 with a mate who supported Chelsea. He was talking about the way some rival fans, if they were coming to a Chelsea match and were coming on their own, wouldn't wear scarves or anything to show where they were from. Anyhow, one day Chelsea were playing a team from up North, and this bloke I knew was hanging round with a handful of his Chelsea mates, and they saw this lone figure of a skinhead in a Levi denim jacket. Now, to them a denim jacket said 'North', but they couldn't see a scarf or anything. So one of them decided to see what his accent was, and called across, "'Scuse me, mate - you got the time?" The lone bloke looked at his watch and said, "Yeah, mate, it's abou'..." and as soon as they heard he had a London accent they left him alone. That was one of the very few times I heard of a skinhead from London in a Levi jacket.

9. Man-of-Mystery

The photo wasn't taken in London, though. It was in Bath. And yeah, it was someone else's. :)

10. Man-of-Mystery

That was the pic cover of the 'Sknhead Moonstomp' single, I believe, and the guys were from Blackpool, but after my time.

I'm laughing a bit about this subject because Bristol has been given an honorary Northern status, as regards Levi jackets. :D

11. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

or he was just breaking it in for a mate!! as you do

12. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

No probs Colin my eyes play tricks too. Some members on here have refered to me as A&E which is easy to write but I get visions of Accident & Emergency and the images of my local hositals are quite frightening thoughts !!

13. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Doesn't surprise me at all M-o-M, this thread has always been a tad 'Londoncentric' don't you think? :nodding: I've always thought the North/South divide is a misnomer, it should really be a London/Rest of the country divide, so if that means us Worzels being lumped in with our Northern chums so be it.

OK we all know that London is the centre of the universe :worship: and that all fashion/trends/cults emerge from this great city (although the Casual scene may dispute this) but just because you Cockney geezers haven't seen a particular item of clothing/footwear/headwear it doesn't mean that it's necessarily a bad/Northern thing and to dismiss it out of hand surely?

Oh well, let's get me wellies on, start up me tractor and go out and dig up some mangel wurzels. Ooooh, aaaar.

14. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

You are right Pressure Drop, this is often Londoncentric. The divide is as you say too. I lived on the very fringes of London and my recollection is often at odds with Roy's, for example.

In the case of denim jackets I recall they were popular in my area (and the cord equivalent) but much earlier and as part of the hard mod look - as it has since been labled. Come 1969 they were 'out'.

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

As i said we would not be seen dead in a jean Jacket, Up North the uniform was Jean Jacket, fuck off baggy jeans, and dirty boots, all of them dress like this . We would put on our best casual kit to go to football, Dressed to impress,:) the problem was if you got separated from the main mob, and got caught.. the Northerners would mug you for all your kit, Crombie, Sheepskin, Brogues, even the shirt off your back.:D

In saying that i bought a Levi Jacket around 73 long after the Skinhead fashion ended, I had a American Flag on the upper arm. I have a nice 60s Levi Jacket at the mo, No side pockets, and shaped into the body like it is fitted.