1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I haven't been to the Kent seaside in years so it is sad to hear that it is so run-down. Southend has been re-vitalized in the last 10 years and Brighton & Hove is still worth visiting.

2. Bob the Badger

The A & N stores that we used closed a long time ago. I bought jungle greens and officer boots from them. My drill trousers (or drills as we called them) didn't have any thigh pockets but I think the back pocket had a flap.

We carried small glass bottles of brut in our suits. One Christmas a mate got a big bottle of the stuff as a present but it was just when we were starting to use Aramis and he was left smelling of Brut when we had moved on. I then went 'upmarket' using Channel.

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Aces and Eights. You mentioned Henry Cooper,i sat down with a beer and watched Cooper v Bugner on youtube last week.I prefer watching 70s boxing especially with Ali or George Foreman and 70s football matches...i suppose because it was "my time" but i can relate to it better than modern sport.

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Bob the Badger. I have seen officer boots mentioned before,what did they look like ? Also did you ever see anyone wearing those brown leather American air force jackets ?.

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Bob the Badger, little bottles of Brut ,:) about the size of a index finger, forgot all about them, and yes we also carried them in our suits, The first time i got hold of Aramis was off a mate who acquired a few bottles. overnight like most things Brut was dead.:)

Just to add I was in Selfridges some weeks ago Aramis was being promoted I took a sniff and thought what a awful smell,:D Still like the smell of Brut though, but would not wear it these days, mostly due to so many nice smells out there. A classic CK1.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  6. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

That must have been the Skinhead revival mob of 79 then as we had no Skinheads at the Bridge between 71 and 79 . The main hooligan gang at Chelsea in the 70s were non skinheads and called the North stand - all of em sported green MA1's from around 77- 78 . Lonsdale t shirts ( from the londsdale shop on fulham palace rd ) were also first sported around 75 /76 by the soul / clubbing fraternity first as well .. these were also copied later by the boneheads .

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

My Alpha MA1 that I got from the States, This pic was taken at a Oi Gig...where most the Lads was wearing MA1s,:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Lasttye.They are tidy jackets,it was impressive to see loads of lads wearing them when i hadnt seen them before.About 12 or 13 years ago i went with my son to the "War and Peace" show in Kent,its for reenactors and there was a massive military vehicle show.There was also masses of stalls selling military surplus and military style clothes and kit,there was merchants from all over Europe.I spotted one bloke selling M1 style jackets in Flecktarn camouflage (what the German army wear now) so i think thats unusual i will get one,my boy said dont bother,but i got one.I took it home put it on a hangar and hung it in a cupboard and its stayed there ever since,never worn it !

9. Bob the Badger

These boots are similar, but not identical, to the officer boots that we wore around 68/69. Mine were a brown/burgundy colour. I didn't get on with them because they were not as comfortable as DM's and you couldn't really run in them. We seemed to spend a lot of time running backwards and forwards on meeting up with rival gangs. The officer boot wasn't suitable in that situation. Sometimes, as MOM says, called grandad boots.Those who had the black ones wore them to school with blackeys in the heel so that they could slide down the school corridor and impress the girls (at least that's what they thought).

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

flyfronted.Just to add when i went to the Chelsea v West Ham match (in 1980 ?) half the crowd seemed to be wearing the flight jackets !

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Bob the Badger.I didnt ever see boots like that down here,but i did have a pair of black oxford shoes with a toe cap seam like that,i remember people saying that they looked like grandad shoes,i could get a good shine on them though.I remember the blakeys,when we got our shoes reheeled they would cut a steel piece into the back called it a quarter tip,there was also one they did at the front that they nailed on.

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

War and Peace carneabbas been there a couple of times, its the Worlds biggest Military show ..people camp there for a week....fantastic time if the weather it good, you can buy anything there including Tanks,:D
    I camped down there one weekend, the evenings have loads of bars and a main hall disco people dress up from Romans to Vietnam clobber on..a true education,:D

The MA1 in the 80s was standard kit for Skinheads and off duty Soldiers.

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

The Brighton Police wore white helmets during the summer to reflect the sun. This ceased in 1968. It was also to give a 'good guy' image - that also ceased in1968

When I was about 10 about 1964 we was down Brighton for the day and my dad pointed out a group of white helmeted policemen and the Sergeant among them was around 6'6" tall and very heavily built and my dad said they won't stand any nonsense from those Mods & Rockers. we did not see any action as I suppose as a family my dad steered us in the right direction. But I remember thinking that I hoped that big old copped got a thump as the Mods 7 Rockers were my heroes even at that age

15. Aces and Eights

There were great fighters in the 60s & 70s and I think people were genuinely interested then because there was only 1 world title per weight. Now days I haven't a clue whos champion

Henry and his brother George were both from round my way and locals that knew them said they were decent blokes. It was said that when they were younger George was the more promising boxer

16. Aces and Eights

The small bottle Brut also had the silver chain and plaque around its neck. It was 10 bob in 1969 an absolute fortune

17. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

OK Re jungle greens.Late 70's early 80's had them as they were "punk rock" easy and cheap to get.My ex wore hers with DM's(low and high) .Bought a new Green (with orange lining) Flight jacket in 1991 ,lost it sometime,wish I still had it.Excellent jacket.Looks cool and useful(my main reason for wearing Military gear).Don't favor ironing jeans or greens. Lasttye,nice pic,good to see one of the originals goin' to an Oi show.Your never too old to Rock and Roll.

18. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

OK here are some longwing brogues to compare. Pardon my photography skills and the photos' sizes.

Alden w/commando sole:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Robinson's w/double oak sole:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loake Royal w/oak sole:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Original Florsheim Imperial grain leather with oak sole:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Bob the Badger

Now that's just showing off! [​IMG]

I like all of them.

What jeans are you wearing?

20. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Botolph lovely collection of shoes mate ..