Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

That is how I got my Push Bike.Could not afford a new one,so we toured the Waste Sites.Believe me,I looked after as if it was new.

I think in `70 the Skinhead Cut was banned in Schools.Remember reading in a Paper,where a boy got sent home because of it."Come back when it had grown out".3 years later the Hair was longer and the Boys were still getting sent home from Shool-"Get your hair cut".No pleasing them,in those days....:)

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Great pic, Bunty. Now here comes my usual question... who owns the copyright?

3. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Ed, you have got me down memory / felony lane now. When we were around 15 we started buying up old British motorbikes for around £5 a piece to use on waste land and to be like our hero Steve McQueen. We would be dressed in Levis/Jungle greens, high leg commando boots, Fred Perry shirts and suede zipper jackets (monkey jackets) during 1968/69.

We were never Greasers or looked upon as. These bikes were never used on road as we were just interested in rough riding off road. No tax, insurance, mot etc - pure freedom.

We would also badger older folk for their disused machines laid up in their sheds/gardens and sometimes have a result for the price of a few packets of fags. These same bikes now command several thousand pounds in the same raw condition.

Oh what to know what to keep from your past to sell on when your older - Hindsight what a thing to have!!

4. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

More music than fashion - nip in and out to take what you want.

!

Start 2' 40', then 9' 20" - then wherever... :nodding:

And for our London chums, catch Darcus Owusi - aka Darcus 'Howe' - in a previous role. (5' 5")

FWIW: I think he's a knob - just my opinion, of course. :satisfied:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

5. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

^ I was at that concert.

Great to see Mike Raven THE DJ of the period from about 10:15. He was a fascinating character. Oxbridge ex-army officer and former ballet dancer. He always had all the records though. Mostly forgotten now; but he really was the top man and he knocked the DJing on the head when he got bored with it.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I was there.Great Concert,we helped with the "Revolution".

Used to listen to Mike Raven on the Radio(I think it was Sunday Night).I saw him "Live"at one of the Clubs I went to.

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I had a Triumph 250cc in 1970(on L Plates).Always wanted a 350cc,but never got it.:)

8. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Skinhead on a Motor Bike, That would have been a sight to see,:)

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

It seems,there were a few about-though at the time I did not know that....:)

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

As far as I know(even though in some Books,it states)the only Grandad Shirts I saw worn-were by Hippies.I have seen it written that the early Skinheads look like Eastern Europeans.What absolute B*ll*cks.The Skins were Mods so why look scruffy-even with their Boots etc.I even dispute them wearing British Army Fatigues(Skinheads,Nick Knight-Jim Fergusons` Drawings) in the early stages-maybe in the North they did!!!! Slade were not f*cking Skinheads,how many more times has this got to be said!!!!!:slayer:

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I am sitting in a dark room :D

13. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

I used to record his shows on reel to reel tape. Records were expensive in these days but live music was cheap. The reverse of nowadays. Raven was never a phoney and he did not do jingles like the dreadful Emperor Rosko and other soul DJs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Raven

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Back in the mid 60s I think a 45 would cost 6/3p.I would go into a local Record Shop(there was a Girl who I really fancied working there.Alas She was about 3 years older),about `65/`66,who was a Mod-so She would recommend and play stuff to me(in the Listening Booths).That was the thing in those days,there was always People who could recommend Records.This is why(I think)I can listen to a wide Range of Music.

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Rosko was good "Live".Saw him quite a few times.:)