• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score

I can still see an incident where walking through the market one our our lads would always insist on wearing Levis at half mast with shoes and a market trader shouted out "oi ave yer trousers had an argument wiv yer shoes"?  This embarrassment made me cringe as the 40 year old greengrocer was too big to have a go at and you could not give any lip because he would have not hesitated in lobbing a rotten apple / orange at you which would have resulted in further embarrassment.  At 16 you were very sensitive to any embarrassment because we thought we were so  cool and the business.  This is probably why I have always loathed the half mast jeans/trousers with shoes.  The incident just sticks in my head!!

I think it used to be worse being insulted by little kids with such snipes as 'Why don't you put jam on your shoes and invite your trousers down for tea?' God I used to squirm at that.

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score

Yes remember that one as well !!!!:):):)

speaking of insults from the general public, I've been called "Urkel" a few times by little kids when I was in school because of the braces, buttondowns and the short trousers. I don't know how familiar you Brits are with American sitcoms, but he was an annoying character from a show called Family Matters which aired from 1989 to 1998. Here's a picture of Urkel. I swear if I didn't know any better I'd say the producers of this show nicked a bit of the skinhead style.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would get home sometimes and my Mum would say some of your mates knocked for you, what one's Mum ..i would say, I don,t know you all look the same, dressed up like little old men Mum would say.:D

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

speaking of insults from the general public, I've been called "Urkel" a few times by little kids when I was in school because of the braces, buttondowns and the short trousers. I don't know how familiar you Brits are with American sitcoms, but he was an annoying character from a show called Family Matters which aired from 1989 to 1998. Here's a picture of Urkel. I swear if I didn't know any better I'd say the producers of this show nicked a bit of the skinhead style.

Yes,I remember seeing that Show,and you could be right Darksideoftheforce. :)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I first had my Hair done(No.4),my Father said "All you need now is a bloody number".He had been on to me for months,to get my Hair cut. :)

flyfronted

Reaction score
' Do you want some fruit to go with that Bowl ' was another jibe the old fellas would chuck at you.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I would get home sometimes and my Mum would say some of your mates knocked for you, what one's Mum ..i would say, I don,t know you all look the same, dressed up like little old men Mum would say.:D
Priceless! :happy:

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score

I think it used to be worse being insulted by little kids with such snipes as 'Why don't you put jam on your shoes and invite your trousers down for tea?' God I used to squirm at that.

On the terraces the greebos (fellow fans) used to chant at us:

'Skinhead, skinhead over there,
what's it like with no hair?
Is it hot or is it cold?
I don't know cos I'm not bald.'

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

On the terraces the greebos (fellow fans) used to chant at us:
'Skinhead, skinhead over there,
what's it like with no hair?
Is it hot or is it cold?
I don't know cos I'm not bald.'
D'you remember certain 'big' clubs had a fair amount of greebos even when skins were taking over the world?

Ones that come to mind - circa '69/70 - were Stoke, and Forest; yet others, from around the same Midlands area, like Derby and Coventry embraced the new regime.

And the Birmingham clubs all seemed to go for the skin look, as did clubs in Liverpool, Manchester and even Newcastle.

Or am I being selectively bigoted??

Last edited:

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score

D'you remember certain 'big' clubs had a fair amount of greebos even when skins were taking over the world?
Ones that come to mind - circa '69/70 - were Stoke, and Forest; yet others, from around the same Midlands area, like Derby and Coventry embraced the new regime.
And the Birmingham clubs all seemed to go for the skin look, as did clubs in Liverpool, Manchester and even Newcastle.

For obvious reasons it always seemed the London clubs had the biggest following of skinheads, certainly remember seeing Sunderland fans who were almost to a man of the hairy persuasion, and yes Stoke definitely had a load of big hairy blokes - also recall Tranmere turning up again a load of hairies, but Preston in the same season all totally shaved heads.

In Bristol, Rovers had a large following of greebos, in fact the 'leader' of our End was a hairy and it didn't bother the younger skinheads at all, but City were virtually all skinheads, can't remember them having any greebos come to think of it.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
It's no suprise Ed Vaughan that is where a heavy NWOBHM presence emerged in the next decade.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going away with Chelsea up North 68/69 Season, It was a glorious time.. London skinheads... The Northerners just did not know what hit em, The girls loved us, we felt like superstars.:D

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember when I walked in to our house with my mate 'Cockney Bob', and my mum said, "You look like you both went to the same Borstal!"

buttons

Reaction score

I remember when I walked in to our house with my mate 'Cockney Bob', and my mum said, "You look like you both went to the same Borstal!"

So even though it'd been a neat haircut of the Mods in previous years, at what point did it become a hooligan's haircut? (without going back into 19th century fighting gangs etc)
If ye mam connected it with borstal, it must have already gained a bad reputation, even though the term 'skinhead' had probably not gone mainstream yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics