• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

buttons

Reaction score

Had the pleasure of meeting mr. Buttons over here, when he honored us with a visit @ our little weekender in Eindhoven, here in the Netherlands:

Great fella! Was a pleasure meeting you mr. Buttons!

Was a pleasure, mate - great weekend.

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score

I remember moc's being worn in the 80's never wore them myself, i did used to wear those chinese slippers/karate daps, black canvas/velvet, orangey brown plastic sole, god knows why, i suppose i was just doing what me mates were doing

You've blown it now Mike, the less enlightened are all wondering what daps are now!! :D

flyfronted

Reaction score
Speaking of Brogues - had a look yesterday at the king of shoes George Cleverley's shop in Burlington Arcade ( http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2011/05/shoes-of-week-george-cleverley.html)
wonderful place that had me drooling as did the most wonderful Crombie ive ever seen in The Son of Stag shop at Trueman brewery . Velvet collar , Cashmere and just cut so right - sadly the price at just under £800 put me out of the game ,, a great shop though for traditional ( 50's 60's ) US mens clobber worth a trip for those who have not been .

Last edited:

flyfronted

Reaction score
Ah! so.
biggrin.gif

I think the Term "Toppers" also referred to Two Tone Lace-ups in a Patent sort of way.Had a pair of Beige/Brown-thought I looked the D.B.sssss:)
No mate , Toppers were worn with Ruperts , South Sea Bubble jumpers etc . thick crepe sole ( im told by people who say they know ) were a fashion 70s version of the teddy boy Brothel creeper . all the london football firms wore em .

Bantam

Reaction score
No mate , Toppers were worn with Ruperts , South Sea Bubble jumpers etc . thick crepe sole ( im told by people who say they know ) were a fashion 70s version of the teddy boy Brothel creeper . all the london football firms wore em .

In Bradford we called them Smoothie Topped Wedges.
In early '74 I had a black and brown pair with white crepe soles, lethel on wet Yorkshire flagstones

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Then I would not have known them-was never in the ICF.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While those from the land of the 'Weej' prefer 'gutties'. :satisfied:
In Edinburgh, they were, somewhat obliquely, known as 'rubbers'. :paranoia:

Ed, in Embra if you told someone there was a crèche down your street they'd want to know how many cars were involved.

Even the clocks sound smug in Embra!

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Ed, in Embra if you told someone there was a crèche down your street they'd want to know how many cars were involved.
Even the clocks sound smug in Embra!
You'll have had your tea, then?

It's taken years - an I still call it 'home' - but I don't miss the place now.

Last abiding 'skin-related' memory: walking from Easter Road, on a New Year's Day in 1970, having watched the Hibs v Hearts traditional slash/murder -fest.

As a Rangers fan, I was merely observing :satisfied: and was probably the only under 16 with really short hair, BS shirt, black Oxfords, Levis and parka - by the cringe it was cold. :slayer:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads