1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. buttons

buttons Senior member

Just for the record, that grease with the beard wasn't me in '72!

1 person likes this.
  2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Nice Material,would work out to £1462.Not for my Pockets though.

This was my third favourite Hairstyle on Girls-behind the Bun and the Mod Cut.

I have not worn Braces for 40 years but now find them quite comfortable now(not the narrow Skinhead ones though) :).

3. elwood

elwood Senior member

Hello Cerneabbas - bit behind here. I'd already got a pair of Loakes when I found the thread. They don't get great press on here but I've found them OK in terms of looks and comfort - and reasonable value. I was really looking to find out exactly what the Royals were that I'd wanted back in 71 but couldn't afford at the time. There's quite a lot of information on here on the subject and I'd say I've found out more than I imagined there was to know about longwing brogues.

I think you've already caught up on the Florsheim Imperials and the whole question around Made in India vs. difficulty of finding deadstock in more common sizes. (That pair on e-Bay posted by gsvs5 were beauties but too small, sadly.) Alden McNeill look good too. Neither of these are cheap (whether non-US manufacture/ deadstock) but they are the Rolls Royce option to me. In the meantime, while I save up and get distracted by so many other possibilities brought back to me by this thread - best replacement for Sta-Prest/ suits/ BD shirts/ white macs etc etc - I've still got the Loakes (even if I've damned them with faint praise).

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

elwood,I totally agree with your post,i would go for one of the American brands Florsheim,Allen Edmonds or Alden (made in the USA) but i also have to take into account availability and cost.
    I am not going to bash Loakes i have two pairs of their boots and they are fine (the Dannite soles are great) but the Royal is a bit too square on the toe for my taste so i am going to wait. Various British makes have been mentioned but they seem to be out of production or out of my price range,i reckon that if someone produced a shoe like the old Royal at a reasonable price (made in the Britain) they would be on to a winner.I have found the brogue subject very interesting,i never saw brogue boots worn "back in the day" but i have a pair now,i also have some Barker semi brogues (a few years old now when they were made in England) i had them double soled and i think that they look smart.I also bought two pairs of Pierre Cardin longwings one pair tan and one navy blue,they look nice and are very light they were not that dear so i dont expect them to last that long.

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Man-of-Mystery,I used to wear monkey boots throughout the 70s and i have got 2 pairs now,one pair about 12 years old lovely and comfortable,very shiny but the soles are very worn, the other pair i bought this year and they are very stiff but i like them.My mate used to hate them in the 70s he always said they were for lads who couldnt afford Doc Martens but i always liked the shape and thought that they didnt look as cumbersome as Marten boots.In the end its all down to choice....except of course that you and i are right !

6. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Got a pair of the burgundy Loake Royal Brogues, recent vintage. Gotta say I like them more than the pair of deadstock made-in-the-USA cordovan Florsheim Imperials I have. More comfy and look just as nice. Also have a pair of Alden cordovan longwings, but they were so dear that they're a bit more of a special-occasion brogue. Out of the 4 or so pair I have, the only ones that get more use than the Loake is my black leather Alden longwings with a thin commando sole(it gets icy in Boston!).
    I'm sure back then it was different, what with disposable income going to multiple bespoke suits and all the right labels, but pound for pound the Loake Royals are a great value in my humble.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Botolph,A very interesting post from you and praise indeed for the Loake Royal.As i said i am not going to bash Loakes,for availability and value for money you are right they cant be beaten, if the shape of the toe was a little rounder (not bulbous round) i would be going for Loake.I suppose that i am guilty of wanting something a bit different to what is readily available locally.

8. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I know what you mean about the toe to the Royals. I feel the same but they are value for money.
    This bloke loves his Royals and mentions the pointier toe.

9. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Here's my Robinson's brogues out of Carrickfergus. A bit of a rounder toe, and also a very nice pair of shoes. Took a bit longer to break in but they're very nice and have a hell of a double oak sole.

[​IMG]

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Botolph, They look superb,just the shape that i like. I am going to have to look at some more pictures of the Robinsons and compare them with the Loake Royal. I have been thinking this afternoon about what you and the others said about the Loakes they are good value and you all seem happy with them,one reason i joined this site was to ask people on here for advice i would be stupid not too take it.

11. Basset

Basset Senior member

Spot on, i can still hum the theme tune

12. Oneflewover

Oneflewover Well-Known Member

13. Basset

Basset Senior member

14. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

Me too...I will ask around see if i can find out but tracking down names now seems the hardest task..

15. McDermott

I tend not to wear a belt with sta prest and tailored trews so much but jeans usually. I used to wear braces more often then i do now, but when i do now it tends to 9 times out of ten be plain black, although i quite like a stripe like the early style too. Im not a big fan of 'clashing' loud colours (eg, red shirt bright yellow braces..bit too cartoonish ??).
    Also agree Re: shirt sleeves. Im not a fan of these extremely tight very short shirts that are now worn...Heres me in Leeds last weekend, Right Shirt sleeve length for me and plain braces. Also doing that great british tradition we've talked about of the noble cooked breakfast [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you expand on the Snakebelts and when they became popular, my friend found a 'deadstock' stash of them and has promised to pick one up. I have always liked them but never got round to buying them.

2 people like this.
  16. McDermott

Yes a good spot ! Nearby yourself ?
    Having a 'Bagel nash', £12.50 a bagel with some filling in it, or whatever ridiculous price it is..on the Lunch break.

17. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Figured out the multi option.
    Love this guy's vids thanks Bob the Badger.The guy describes this as a MOD shoe.Is everyone in agreement on that one.
    Gives us a pic of you with those shoes Botolph.They really are something to talk about.
    No mistaking this pic.An english skin eatin an english meal.This could be a tourism advert.Makes me want to fly there right now.

18. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Mr McDermott that is one of the finest Full English I've seen in many a post hangover sir !I'm sure you made a bigger dent in it than I could ever wish,but there is saliva on my keyboard.
    I remember the snakebelts as being a boyhood staple and it was carried on into long trouser/jeans through '69 for us kids.They came in various combinations of coloured striped elastic.(Much like the Military Nato watch straps we wore ) as I recall,but would never have been worn by the older lads.Though nostalgically remembered,they are definitely for the youngsters.
    Nowadays I find myself using a vintage Leather/Brass Buckle, Boys Brigade military style belt to hoist my jeans.
    Nostalgic and fun (and copied by everyone from Stone Island to Versace ).

19. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I could never get into the concept of tomatoes and beans tainting the rest of the great breakfast.

20. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I always had snake belts, late 60s very early 70s. Probably up until I was about 8 or 9. I believe they all came from India....
    [​IMG]