1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

What is interesting from the photos is that some wore braces, but most didn't. Not all the time, anyway. That was us. None wore a belt with their sta-prest. Today I always wear a belt but back then didn't. As kids we wore the snake belts with short trousers up to 10 years old. Didn't even wear belts with jeans. Shirts were usually tucked in. Today most fatties have to wear their shirts untucked. Long sleeved shirt sleeves were folded back twice like the girl in the top photo but I never folded the shirt sleeve to look like the guy although I have to say his shirt looks like a beauty. My short sleeve shirts were the baggy American ones or 'doctored' long sleeved Ben Shermans.

2. Bob the Badger

I am with you on this. I wouldn't buy a Ben Sherman today as they are made outside the UK. The original shirts (made in UK and Northern Ireland) were good quality and I think matched some of the American import shirts. I would buy a made in England Fred Perry, but not a cheap import. My mum bought me my first Fred Perry in the early sixties. They were a popular cheap tennis shirt for going away on holiday. Not sure they were of the highest quality even then but they were made in UK as opposed to Hong Kong or British Empire. Most Brands are trading on past glories.Most things with a logo on are rubbish.

3. Bob the Badger

I am a big fan of Desert Boots and Clark's in particular. I have about 10 pairs and they are my everyday shoes for knocking about in. I regret that Clarks now make them in Vietnam but I still buy them. To me they have a classic look. They are superior to 'trainers' and other casual footwear and can be worn in most situations without feeling out of place. Much smarter than the alternatives. I have other Desert Boots and I think some Italian ones are quite good. Cheaper brands last five minutes and named brands are an expensive rip off.

4. Bob the Badger

Looks like I will have to buy the book then. At that game the Mile End mob left just before the end and we thought, up in the kids enclosure, that they had 'bottled' it by making an early exit. I learned later from a cousin who was part of the mob, and from the same area as Micky Smith, that they planned an ambush outside. Most of the firm were already in there late teens and were mods or pre-skinheads.I was always amazed , pre-internet and mobile phones, how such large numbers would turn up at a given time and place like a 'flash mob' today. Word of mouth spread like wildfire. I remember a rumour, back in the day, that went around London in an hour or so that Jimmy Greaves was dead. Totally untrue and a brilliant wind-up.

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Bob the Badger, You mention doctoring Ben Shermans into short sleeve shirts,thats a coincidence because only this week i was talking to my "young lady" about getting some Marks and Spencer long sleeve button downs and having the sleeves altered.In my opinion the modern short sleeve shirts are far to short (sleeve length),it is also another reason why i dont like a lot of the present day polo shirts.The polo shirt i have been buying lately is the Hanes beefy polo,it is a 3 button polo with decent sleeves,in a good variety of colours,washes well,fairly thick material ,easily available and about £15 delivered to your door (no logo either),i expect someone will say that they are not as good as they used to be as well !
    Dont get to excited about the Micky Smith book,it is one that you can easily put down,but it might be interesting for you.
    Yes the word did go around in those pre internet days,i remember hearing a rumour that West Ham had sacked John Lyall....
    unfortunately it was true and things were never quite the same after that.

6. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Dormeuil has done some very Modernist Mohair cloths this season but they have cut down on the Tonik Mohair selection again now, its just black and midnight blue.

[​IMG]

The iphone makes them look dull or really bright but they are really nice. I especially like the rust color and the green.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  7. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Great find McDermott.We have not seen these photos here before.Looks like someone had a decent camera and knew how to use it.

8. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Check out this guys blog,very cool.The clothing is Top Notch (although way out of my price range) I'm sure you do very well in Union Sq.Mr.Reeves.

9. Basset

Basset Senior member

10. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Checked the price on these.I think it's high because the workers are probably Union and we know that Union made in the US is great stuff but the price is related to the high hourly wage the Union workers get.My only reservation with any of these is the crepe sole which wears down in the city (pavement and cement) Thats why I went with the Clark's Bushacre 2 with synthetic sole.Lasts longer on the pavement.The blue suede is always cool as well (had a similar shoe back in the day Italian made)

11. Basset

Basset Senior member

I know what yer saying, the sun is a beast of mixed blessings.
    Lads at my school had to do needlework, i remember having to make a denim waistcoat complete with wonky stiching, the urge to put the foot pedal of the sewing machine to the floor was to much [​IMG]

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I believe these are made in the UK by Sanders.The lower cut style were favoured by Steve McQeen back in the day.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  13. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

So the shop is in Atlanta but they are made in the UK? Wouldn't the Union made still apply?

14. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I am trying SO hard not to mention Hartlepool.

1 person likes this.
  15. Man-of-Mystery

What's more amazing to me is that I actually met 'Buttons', the guy in the photo below 'Bovver Boy'. I knew someone who knew him.

16. Man-of-Mystery

Nice shades.

17. Man-of-Mystery

From 'Rent-a-Ghost'?

18. Man-of-Mystery

We've been down this route before. Blokes' boots in 1968, certainly in S E London. I actually preferred them because they were light on your foot, and I would still wear them if I could get a pair in my size.

19. Man-of-Mystery

Precisely. The lad's captured something of the orignal look, but you just wouldn't see a T underneath.

20. Man-of-Mystery

I'd like to get names (who owns the pic) and any other details like when and where it was taken. The girl on the right has a typical 'grown-out crop'. Girls round my way used to brush their cropped hair back when it grew longer. This was sometimes between crops, and into 1970 it was as they were growing crops out into a different style.

Last edited: May 10, 2013