Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Haha Shep I guess that explains where my dads taste for those moccasins comes from 80's Trends, as for the creases in the jeans I've ran into plenty of 70's Levi's with such creases so it seems to have been quite the trend back then, as for that bomber jacket is it leather? looks pretty cool I got one quite a few years that is reversible black nylon with the reverse safety orange, love how the American and English Trends fed off each other.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  2. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

These were not a skinhead item but I have had several pairs over the years starting in around mid 70s. So easy to wear and slobber about in with a pair of jeans. Weird because I have literally just bought another pair in the market

3. Aces and Eights

Found this - "Mr Popcorn" on youtube brings back happy memories from the day. Needs to be played loud and if your feet don't start tapping then you must dead or seriously deaf

4. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Had the pleasure to see Laurel Aitken and another of my favourites Derrick Morgan "Live".Both great Shows.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Will not be in my size though!!!!:)

7. gaul

gaul Member

I'm planning to buy my first pair of brogues, black Loake Royals from Jump The Gun to be precise! But considering that I can't try them on and I never got shoes of that kind, I have no clue about the sizing...any suggestion??

8. bunty

bunty Senior member

Here's that photo Brownie, it's been variously labelled as 'Mods at Margate', 'Skinheads at Southend' etc.

They look very much like late 60's (much older) Mods would you say? Non button down collars on show and the lad kicking over the motorbikes has what appears to be baggy trousers on?

[​IMG]

Another photo of the same group (Sorry, I know we've seen this one before) The hat from the top photo has sustained some battle damage :D

[​IMG]

9. Aces and Eights

I bought 2 pairs a couple of years ago from a London shop and I think they are a F width as standard. I am a 10 and the fit on both pairs was generous and comfortable - not loose - a decent fit

10. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

11. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Nah, its tiny Col, if I recall correctly 30w 38c. But its a reet bobby dazzlet though ;)

Not skinhead at all, but nice to see great cloth.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The Car in the Background(2nd Picture)is a Renault Dauphine,which was in Production until `67.So it could be `68ish.The top Photo,the Guy is wearing Cotton Trousers-Stone Colour.TheCable Stitch Sleeveless Pullover(he is wearing) I had,in Pale Blue.Thanks Bunty,I knew I was not going mad!!!! :)

There was a Mod in `64 who wore a White Straw Hat-funny how they used to turn up.

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

14. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Got 'Mr Popcorn' and 'Landlords and Tenants' amongst others on The High Priest of Reggae album from about 1970? Also had the pleasure of seeing both Laurel and Derrick Morgan together in Reading Town Hall a few years back.

I managed to go backstage and had a chat with Derrick - I told him how my book 'Bovver' started with a mention of him and his record Moonhop, and how much it had influenced me in writing the book. I had a copy with me and asked him to sign it, he took the pen but sadly he's virtually blind now and couldn't focus on the title page where I asked him to sign, consequently he started writing on the edge of the page but then his hand wandered and he missed - there's now a table somewhere in Reading Town Hall with 'rick Morgan' written on it. :angry:

15. Bantam

Bantam Member

Got a pair of Loake smooths, exactly the same as those, different shade of oxblood than my Loake Royals and Loafers.