1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ScootSuitnBoots

ScootSuitnBoots Member

Is this any help ? http://scootssuitsandboots.com/delicious-junction-brogues-upsetter-oxblood.php
    [​IMG]

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Gert lush...I consider myself Bristolian myself, although I wasn't actually born there, and I don't live in Bristle now. But will be coming home in a couple of weeks for a jar of Thatcher's or Smile's or something.

3. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Hi cerneabbas, What does Micky Smith write about the Man Utd game? I haven't read the book and it seems to get bad reviews. He is about the same age as me so I suppose he was at the game. I knew a Micky Smith, but didn't we all?

Had a girlfriend from Bristol in the mid 70's. A small group of us used to travel down to Torquay on a Bank Holiday and meet up with groups from Bristol and Birmingham in 'the Yacht' pub. No aggro then. just debauchery.

4. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

That's interesting and Sunderland being a seafaring town it ties in rather well. Just out of interest the term 'monkey' was historically used in Sunderland to denote something evil or otherwise 'bad'.

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Hello mate,i have seen those shoes they are not quite what i am looking for but thanks anyway.

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Whoops,my last post was in answer to ScootSuitnboots..

7. Little Queenie

Strange, Watermelon man's quote seems to have got lost in transit!

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Hello Bob the badger,Micky Smith says the same as you,Man utd got in the North bank early and stayed there (he also said that they got turned over outside and at Mile end tube station).
    The book is based on his diary so its not a literary masterpiece but bits are interesting a few descriptions of changing fashion and football related aggro in the late 60s early 70s,if you can get a cheap copy off e bay its worth a read.

9. elwood

elwood Senior member

Think you could both be right here. A couple of online dictionaries I've looked at give definition of "monkey jacket" as short, close-fitting jacket worn by sailors, waiters & officers in mess and one gives origin of that usage as 1820 - 1830 "from its resemblance to a jacket worn by an organ- grinder's monkey".

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

elwood,you said that you found this site looking for Royals,did you find any that you liked ?

11. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

The navy Blue one is almost identical to the one I had in the late 60's as I recall - exact same striping combination.The only thing is ,ours were all Nylon.These are Poly/Cotton blend,so will look/hang a little different i believe.

12. Little Queenie

Thanks Elwood, that's very enlightening. Nothing like a bunch of Skinheads engaged on an etymological quest!

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

14. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Welcome cerneabbas - I'm horrified that you had to explain to someone what a skinhead was!!

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Gsvs5,i had a jacket that was nylon, light blue (very bright)with navy and white trim,probably about 1969.
    Those Florsheim longwings look very tidy....John Simons shop is selling black Florsheim imperial for £239 reduced from £279,i wonder if they are the made in America or the made in India shoes ?

16. Watermelon man

Watermelon man Well-Known Member

Herewith, the cover of the first issue of 'Target', published by NEL in the early '70s. The 'Bovver boy' character is on the front cover, and the poster to which the giant man has referred was almost identical to this drawing.

[The sachet of brine shrimp cysts (so-called 'powder') has been removed from this cover, in case you're wondering. You had to provide your own salt, btw. Think I used Saxa, which may explain why the things died. As I said before, the skinhead in the cartoon strip was a loser, which is odd as the publication came from the same stable as the 'Richard Allen' books and the magazine offered discounts on what they called, if memory serves me, 'skinhead clobber'.]

[​IMG]

17. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

They haven't been made in U.S.A. for close to 30 years now I would say.

18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Sirryacus...30 years as long as that ?
    If i was going to pay £239 for a pair of shoes with an American or British brand name i dont want them made somewhere else,i know why its done but i think that it exploits the people who make them and the people who buy them.

19. bunty

bunty Senior member

20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Watermelon man,i really cant remember that magazine cover,as i remember the skinhead was stood by a milestone saying bovver,maybe i ate "the powder"....did the second issue of the magazine have a poster with first world war planes on it ?