• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
A conversation(over the weekend)started me thinking about the Dr.Marten Shoes.I remember seeing them being worn with Levi Sta-Prest.I had a pair around late` 69.The thing that triggered this train of thought,was the Toe Shape and Colours.If I remember correctly,the Toe shape was nearly identical to the Royals.When you looked down the Sole overlapped the Upper,giving it a slightly wider "Look"(as the 70s progressed so the Toe Shape got wider).There was no yellow stitching and they could be "shined-up" really well.I used to polish them but not my Boots.I wore them with Jeans and could get into Places(Pubs)that had a "No Boots" Ban.In fact this is what made them popular-mainly with older Skins-they were less inclined to wear Boots all the time.If I remember correctly there was Black,Burgundy and Brown.The Brown ones never really sold,so I think they were withdrawn.
Yes I remember wearing DM shoes with Sta prest in 1970 and looked smart as a chunky shoe. I think you are right they were more tapered than rounded. Also several people talk on here of polished up DM boots but back in the day they were not buffed up because they were our work boots and used for that purpose and it was our going out shoes that were polished up. Back then they were a tool for working to look good in not a fashion item. I think this is where we differ from the younger contributors our DM boots were worn for a reason to be better and more comfortable than older workers at the time with their hobnail boots / ex army boots.

flyfronted

Reaction score
What about 'Interlace ' shoes , i brought a pair at the Shoe Box in Shepherds Bush a big Suede head shoe from my memory .

Little Queenie

Reaction score

Can anyone please post that photo, from Margate '70 I think, of the lads kicking over some motorbikes outside what looks like a guest house? I'm buggered if I can find it anywhere. We just want to inspect the main perpetrator's strides. Ta.

But are they the RIGHT trousers, Bunty?

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Sounds about right for "Bespoke"Tailoring.Just wondering about Purchasing Cloth myself,and having something(Suit or Trousers) done.Would he be willing to do that Brideshead?

I imagine he would, brownie although I have not asked him. You could give him a call:

Roger Crawford 07801 817163 or 020 8478 1095

Shep

Reaction score
I was talking to an original 1980's skinhead last night. He told me to wear leather laces in my Mikkel Rude solovair boots. He said this was really common in the 80's and made the boots look great.

I've never seen leather laces in Dm's,solovair boots.

Has anyone else heard of this?
An original 80`s skinhead? A real,true one? Wow,I`m impressed
worship.gif

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
An original 80`s skinhead? A real,true one? Wow,I`m impressed
worship.gif

I was being polite. I should have said a 'bald punk'. Thanks for the bow, but really no need, they are ten a penny..

Last edited:

ek77

Reaction score

A conversation(over the weekend)started me thinking about the Dr.Marten Shoes.I remember seeing them being worn with Levi Sta-Prest.I had a pair around late` 69.The thing that triggered this train of thought,was the Toe Shape and Colours.If I remember correctly,the Toe shape was nearly identical to the Royals.When you looked down the Sole overlapped the Upper,giving it a slightly wider "Look"(as the 70s progressed so the Toe Shape got wider).There was no yellow stitching and they could be "shined-up" really well.I used to polish them but not my Boots.I wore them with Jeans and could get into Places(Pubs)that had a "No Boots" Ban.In fact this is what made them popular-mainly with older Skins-they were less inclined to wear Boots all the time.If I remember correctly there was Black,Burgundy and Brown.The Brown ones never really sold,so I think they were withdrawn.

like these??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads