Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I believe they still make something similar they call it the Levi's Classic Bomber Jacket nowadays, only comes in Navy Blue and Black now.

2. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Tape on The Head? Strange, i dont get it

3. Basset

Basset Senior member

Seen a few of those on fbay over the years, usually described as sta prest jacket, ive no idea regarding the year, as in 69 i was still pooing me pants, come to think of it the other saturday........ [​IMG]

4. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Although grooming and style do develop with age, they have to start somewhere: I can't believe you just suddenly woke up looking well-dressed, Mr. Brideshead! I think it's not so much about the clothes you wear, but how you wear them.

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Ummmm,yes Bassett.Glad you did not copy too much from Dave Hill.:)

Interested in the beginning ,with the Skinhead History.Probably mirrored all over Britain,as I know we used to hang around a Coffee Bar(with decent Music on).Not too much in the Football violence though.I have written before that I walked away from the Aggro side(around `69),when I saw Darts etc., being thrown.No Team is worth losing an Eye.The later bits about the 70s Music Scene was interesting,as this also mirrored what was going on- in East London.Except you had "Lovers Rock" thrown in as well.

6. Basset

Basset Senior member

Think i told you i bottled the crop and just asked the barber to cut it real short, which he did, but he left me with a long fringe, i said i wasen't having it, he messed about and still could'nt get it right the buffoon, " something for the weekend young un" no thanks i replyed but if you go shopping buy some glasses and a level, you couldn't get big silver shoulder pads in 78, shame [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

7. albion

albion Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for an off the peg Tonic/2Tone suit?
    Bespoke is a bit too out of my price range at the moment.
    Cheers.

8. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

9. albion

albion Well-Known Member

Cheers, i'll check them out.
    There's a very useful self measure tutorial on the Thick As Thieves website.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Very Smart,Get Smart.:),very "Mad Men"!!!!

11. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

The cord ones were big in the NW 67/68 and a few guys with good pay packets had the leather and suede ones (I owned a leather one for all of two weeks. I bought it from a bloke for £5 but soon after there came an agonised message from his mum to say that it was a knock-off and the real owner had threatened to rearrange his face if he didn't get it back!).

I currently own a black one. It is a recent one and has side-pockets so it's not a replica of an original. But now you mention it I do recall vaguely the ones you're talking about. In my mind's eye I can see one of the Lee brothers from Blackpool in an off-white one. I can't recall seeing any at all in London.

12. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I believe you'll find that was a joke. :)

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

They were about but not in great Numbers.

14. Gorecki

Gorecki Well-Known Member

cheapest online place to get me some 3989 in oxblood or burgundy?

15. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Don't see any reason not to mention prices on the board here...

The trousers start at £195 unlined - I specified part lined (front to the knee) at £205.

Suits come in around £750, I gather.

My main interest was in trousers at this stage so I focused on a couple of fabric books which included the dogtooth and a range of other larger and smaller dogtooth checks. My tailor said regrettably it is very hard to find any thing but black and white. In Prince of Wales check there were many different options and weights of cloth. I did not ask about mohair.

All the cloth comes from English factories and all the cutting, tailoring and finishing is done by my tailor and his small group of associates in and around Ilford.

I had the first consultation (at his house actually) then went back for a fitting after two weeks. There were some small alterations and I collected them after another week. The matching buttons took a little longer so he fitted horn buttons first. I wore the trou a couple of times and then took them back for the matching ones and one further tweak (he made the waist smaller by ½ inch).

He is a very nice man BTW!