1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

There are all kinds of so called "Modern" music which has nothing to do with African American musics.There is no "NEW" music anyway.It's all been done.There are only individuals re-interpreting old music forms.Just ask Bartok.

1 person likes this.
  2. Watermelon man

Watermelon man Well-Known Member

The Adam 'Crombies' are well-cut and warm but like most imitations have a lining that rips easily and in particular tears around the inside breast pocket as there is no reinforcement there. They are the same as the JtG coats. I think Adam sells them in two lengths.

That said, I'm thinking of getting another Adam coat to wear when my real Crombie is likely to get beer spilt on it. I feel vulnerable when wearing a coat that now sells for in excess of £700 (not what I paid, of course).

3. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

God you know I think I'm going to have to take a medium in Fred Perry polos this summer...and that's not the "slim fit". Mind you they do shrink seriously though.

4. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Pal of mine brought a pair of Monkey boots in Richmond yesterday .. always thought of them as rubbish / for kids who couldnt afford DM's . Whats the forums opinion?

5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Kids and birds... but anything 'retro' appears to be 'good' now.

That said, you pays your money... and nobody has voted me the god of taste.............................. yet. :satisfied:

1 person likes this.
  6. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

Ill stick my neck out and say i dont mind Monkey boots on a Bloke, although im aware they were mostly a Girl/kiddy boot.
    I do think they have a more relaxed look about them then proper boots though, Ive been toying with the idea of getting a pair myself, oxblood with yellow laces...Just to wear with a FP and cords etc when lazy.

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Monkey boots, black or brown, were being worn by blokes in S E London in 1968. I liked them, they were light on your feet. I never saw any girls wearing them, and they didn't have a rep as girls/kids boots round our way. [Yes, I know girls DID wear them, I just never SAW any girls wearing them.]

8. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Monkey boots De riguer for skinhead girls up north 1969-1971.

Not worn much by lads in our area, if memory serves me right they were more popular with lads down south in skinhead times, I think they would look good on a smart young fella such as yourself McDermott.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  9. Pequod

Pequod Member

I know the development in these two distinct styles ("peanut to peacock") just by stories. (I was born in 1967 in South Germany, where I still live today). The picture really seems to confirm this separation of styles. In my opinion a significant picture. I can not remember a similar one.

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Have we not had this Conversation before?I wore Monkey Boots ,and so did others.It somehow got around the "No Boots" Rule.I still like the look of them.

Bloody good Photo Bunty.Must be one of the last times that both "Faces" of Mod were photographed together. After that, the irreparable "Split" happened.:)

11. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Personally i like them. I find them really comfortable to wear and look fairly smart-ish. I rarely wear DMs these days as i can't be bothered to lace the bloody things. So monkey boots fit the bill for me, saying that i have been wearing them on and off since i was a child. Some people like to slate them, but i have worn them to daytime events before and no one has ever said anything to my face.

Each to their own i say.

My brothers say they used to wear them in the day casually as summer wear instead of normal boots.

12. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

I had Monkey boots in 67/68 as a 13/14 year old but by 69 they were unacceptable as we went into the skinhead era. They looked good with jeans or greens. I remember they were not that durable as the front sole used to come apart and chat to the other boot

I was thinking of back in the day when we had 1/2 inch crops and it was not all of our crowd - 3 or 4 I can still clearly see now with long hair but dressed in the skinhead clothes. No one commented on this in the gang. People think we all head close crops or shaven heads back then in 69 but in actual fact we was nothing like that

I have had shorter hair for the last 35 years than what I did 45 years ago !!

Another thing that struck me was that we never wore shorts - even on holiday. During that time the only shorts I wore were cut down Levis on the building sites

13. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I had Monkey boots in about '68 but stopped wearing them when my younger brother and his mates started to wear them. For casual footwear I would wear Clarks Desert boots. In Summer '67 or '68 there was a craze for scholl sandals in red or black.
    I didn't wear shorts in summer but Levi's Sta-Prest in '68 and Beige Levi cords in '69. I started to wear Bass Weejuns in '69. I also used to wear cut down Levi's on summer building site work.
    Most of my mates went from a no. 3 or 4 haircut to shoulder length hair in about '72.

14. PxC

PxC Active Member

Did you wear sandals along with you regular mod/skinhead gear?

15. kicksinstyle

kicksinstyle Well-Known Member

I have a pair of the Tricker's monkey boots in oxblood and I like them a lot, although they did take a long time to wear in.

16. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Yep. As so often happens on this thread. :)

17. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

18. Bob the Badger

I can't remember but I think the sandals might have been about '66/67 and may have pre-dated the Skinhead clothes.13 and 14 year olds would have worn them. It might have been local to my area. That is why I posted to see if any others would respond to this. Even at the time I thought it was a strange craze but I still bought a couple of pairs. In summer we used to use open air swimming pools and Lido's where they were the perfect footwear. Early mod gear for 13/14 year olds was all improvised.

19. buttons

buttons Senior member

Like these?
    [​IMG]

20. Bob the Badger

Exactly!