Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Nice one Jason, the first one, Agro, Agro. According to Chris Lane is the correct spelling, and not Aggro. It's the first time I've seen it actually spelled like that though. Here's some more, unfortunately it's harder to read: (Curious about the first one, Greaser turned Skinhead? Joining the winning team or what [​IMG]) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

Going to take me awhile to read through these newspaper articles, but I did come across the old subject of color coded laces in the previous page. I used to get alot of crap from punk types about colored laces. I often wear my boots with white or red because frankly they look good with wathever color sweater or shirt I happen to be wearing at the time. To me its just a fashion style. Once this 'anacho-punk' girl of about 15 decides to lecture me on what red and white laces meant. Having worn boots longer than she's been alive just had to roll my eyes and walk away tired of explaining to people that I personally could give a rat's a$$ about the color coding bull$shit drama .

Anyone else feel the same way?

3. loempiavreter

The laces in my boots don't stand out, they match the colour of the boots. I prefer it that way.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

since I first got into skinhead thru Oi, and not reggae, I've always had a preference for white laces. All of my friends who were skins before me in the 80s had white or yellow laces so I've leaned towards that. But self color is definitely more 60s old school

5. Darksideoftheforce

since I first got into skinhead thru Oi, and not reggae, I've always had a preference for white laces. All of my friends who were skins before me in the 80s had white or yellow laces so I've leaned towards that. But self color is definitely more 60s old school

The same here. I think most 80s and 90s era kids that became skins got into it through Oi and from there they just gradually drift towards the more traditional reggae ska and soul. I knew a skin in high school who wore rasta colored laces with his docs.

6. Big Muscle

Big Muscle Senior member

Nice articles, it would be good to know the year of newspaper release.

7. Darksideoftheforce

In one of the clippings its dated April 13 1971 or 72.

8. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

Going to take me awhile to read through these newspaper articles, but I did come across the old subject of color coded laces in the previous page. I used to get alot of crap from punk types about colored laces. I often wear my boots with white or red because frankly they look good with wathever color sweater or shirt I happen to be wearing at the time. To me its just a fashion style. Once this 'anacho-punk' girl of about 15 decides to lecture me on what red and white laces meant. Having worn boots longer than she's been alive just had to roll my eyes and walk away tired of explaining to people that I personally could give a rat's a$$ about the color coding bull$shit drama .

Anyone else feel the same way?

I remember having an argument with a similar type of girl not only about laces, but also about spiderweb elbow tattoos. Apparently they mean you committed a hate crime... [​IMG]

9. loempiavreter

The ones I posted, I don't really know, mentioned on some, but it's all from the first generation though.

For the ones Jason posted (in the exact same following):

3 September 1969

31 March 1970

1 April 1970

25 May 1970

26 May 1970

1 September 1970

15 December 1970

22 December 1970

21 June 1971

9 August 1971

21 August 1971

31 August 1971

14 November 1980

15 November 1980

21 April 1981

22 July 1981

22 April 1982

14 August 1982

10. Darksideoftheforce

I remember having an argument with a similar type of girl not only about laces, but also about spiderweb elbow tattoos. Apparently they mean you committed a hate crime... [​IMG]

Yes I've heard that one too. Also red laces apparently means you've 'killed' somebody in a hate crime. :O

11. C3PLOS

C3PLOS Active Member

Not sure if you've been here yet, but found some cool photos on this blog that you guys might dig:
    http://hipteens.blogspot.com/2010/11/sorts.html

What the heck? Why do I have more luck finding skinhead photos than I do finding (non-Brighton Beach) Mod photos!

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

What the heck? Why do I have more luck finding skinhead photos than I do finding (non-Brighton Beach) Mod photos!

if you're on facebook check out this group called Original Modernists 1959-1966

probably the best collection of mod photos in one place on the net. No "targets" or any of that other cliche nonsense.

13. C3PLOS

C3PLOS Active Member

if you're on facebook check out this group called Original Modernists 1959-1966

probably the best collection of mod photos in one place on the net. No "targets" or any of that other cliche nonsense.

This one sounds familiar, but not sure if I'm on it. I'll have to check when I get home. And thank you... I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought targets were cliche!

14. OHT

OHT Senior member

I always have been told that the spider web tattoo(usually on the elbow) was an old school prison tatt(ex: Each ring represents the years you're doing/you've done behind bars and the shaded cobwebs are a symbol of growing old behind bars).
    Probably the most retarded thing I've ever heard in association with skinheads is about this Fred Perry Polo:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Apparently, the colors of this polo are a "hidden code" to symbolize Nazism(Red, White & Black, referring to the Nazi Germany Flag...)

15. Southlondongent

Southlondongent Senior member

...Fred will be spinning in his grave. [​IMG]

Oh, and C3PLOS....you're not [​IMG]