• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought Van Heusen in Lake Tahoe . Polycotton or 'permanent press' as it used to be called. Present day Ivyists turn their noses up at anything not pure cotton but these are great indestructible shirts. I do not know about Troy shirts but on FNB, Mercer seems to be the 'go to' brand or old stock Brooks -not so much of the currently offered items. Lands End occasionally gets a mention.
By the way, I referenced your post on Film Noir Buff and you get consequently get some flak there for the perception that you are knocking JS.... and also for being a skinhead. FNB posters are more rumpled Ivyists and many look down on skins, even though skins were JS biggest customers.

I have just read all their Comments.I see they have invited me over-one even said he would come on here.I have ruffled their Feathers haven`t I?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$995 is a lot for a raincoat.
I have had shirts from O'Connells - deadstock Madras. Did not bleed like the Madras shirts I used to have. Maybe the vegetable dyes get set after they have been stored for a long time.

The thing is,I looked at the Firm who makes the Raincoars over her,and they look totally different.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have just read all their Comments.I see they have invited me over-one even said he would come on here.I have ruffled their Feathers haven`t I?

Yes but they will not come on here though. Many like things like shetland sweaters which used to be cheap as chips in the UK in the 1960s - the sort of thing you could get in BHS. They tend not to be so interested in looking sharp.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see, van heusen and hathaway are indeed very cheap here in the states and almost given away in their used forms, I know brooks brothers is not cheap but I often find very nice ones used for a couple bucks a piece as well, I often run into vintage van heusen ties as well some wild patterns from the 60's for sure, did you ever get a brand called Pebble Beach of California there in the 60's/70's? I see it pop up every once in awhile but there isn't much info online, its obviously based on pebble beach golf course area around monterey california and usually golf related but a lot of their stuff would have tied in a lot with the ivy league look for sure.

Some of the Shirts are new-in the UK,their Prices are higher than in the States(obvious reasons).I have a couple of Brooks Brothers Vintage,which were Dead-stock-the quality is better than the newer ones.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes but they will not come on here though. Many like things like shetland sweaters which used to be cheap as chips in the UK in the 1960s - the sort of thing you could get in BHS. They tend not to be so interested in looking sharp.

I like your Style Mate.:)

Raff72

Reaction score
On a different note. I fly out to Bangkok in a couple of days. Does anyone know of the best place to get hold of some decent tonik or sharkskin lengths?? There is a seller on ebay that is selling what he calls tonik but it is polyester/wool/mohair rather than the original blend.

Also, I'll report back on prices and quality etc and if anyone wants to take a punt and have me get the beginnings of a suit made for them I will do it for the price of a bew beers (which cost about 35 cents each). I would recommend that you get it finished closer to where you are as there will always need to be some finetuning done.

I have found a place in Cambodia that is run by a guy who worked in Vietnam for decades so I will be giving him a run as well. I know it isn't ideal but it has got to be better than one of those ****** off the rack "mod" or "skinhead" suits available from the usual suspects.

I'm also going to get myself some other stuff done like decent shirts and mebbe some sharkskin harringtons.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a different note. I fly out to Bangkok in a couple of days.  Does anyone know of the best place to get hold of some decent tonik or sharkskin lengths?? There is a seller on ebay that is selling what he calls tonik but it is polyester/wool/mohair rather than the original blend.

Also, I'll report back on prices and quality etc and if anyone wants to take a punt and have me get the beginnings of a suit made for them I will do it for the price of a bew beers (which cost about 35 cents each). I would recommend that you get it finished closer to where you are as there will always need to be some finetuning done.

I have found a place in Cambodia that is run by a guy who worked in Vietnam for decades so I will be giving him a run as well. I know it isn't ideal but it has got to be better than one of those ****** off the rack "mod" or "skinhead" suits available from the usual suspects.

I'm also going to get myself some other stuff done like decent shirts and mebbe some sharkskin harringtons.

When you get back,naybe some Pictures.Sounds interesting though.

Basset

Reaction score
Evening all, just caught up, as ive been away, good reading as per, someone brought up pub rock, Brideshead i think, anyhows a few pub rock/70,s pics

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a place to find slim fit v-neck sweaters (jumpers) with saddle shoulders?

Last edited:

Raff72

Reaction score
Will do mate. Looks like I am gonna have to settle for some of this dodgy tonik off evilbay. At least it is cheap... What other stuff do you think would be worth getting made?? I actually did a good whack of a Tailors apprenticeship when I was in my teens (too ******* stupid to see the bloody thing through, could've really turned that opportunity into something beautiful).

I am going to see if I can spend some time training with anyone who will give me a shot either in Thailand or Cambodia. I would probably have more chance in India but I will only be there to oversee the finishing of some Lammies I am doing for some mates.

Now, what are people's thoughts on side vents versus a centre vent?? I know that some people say that side vents are for mods but I actually like the way they look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads