1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ek77

ek77 Senior member

they probably are no skins anymore, but better check this profile pic of their event before trying to tell me that there is not a skinhead connection:

https://www.facebook.com/events/49967082744/

or their pix on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/kielweekender/photos/1204339

:D:D:D:D:D

2. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Happy to Not be the one pissing everyone off.This is about the "Originals"and whilst I welcome discussion of the "Offspring" subcultures,We all learn the hard way it is about the "Originals" Enjoy this thread for what it is.There are other places to discuss the other subcultures.I think since it is Mod to Suedehead Northern Soul is appropriate as is Soul music.I'm trying to limit the amount of time I spend off topic.These folks have been very patient with my foolishness and I'm tryin to play nicely.No need to Call anyone out.Peace and Pigeon Peas

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Thats right she was fairly skinny....She was a very famous girl from back then...The first time we met her was Wolves away. 69/70 season.we walked into this pub their was about 15 skinhead boys and girls in there ..we thought it would kick off ...she came up to us and said they was Chelsea ?? At first we was wary...and that was the beginning, She and her mates would come to Chelsea. they stayed in Kilburn a couple of times.
    You are the only person that has ever mentioned her.. however am sure Chris Brown mentioned her in Suited and Booted..could be wrong..but i did get a message off a lad who was writing a book and would do a page on her.
    She will for certain get a mention In Walking Tall.:)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  4. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Good story Lasttye.Good to put names to black and white film faces.Interesting mix flyfronted.A member of two underdog tribes.Holidays must have been fun.

5. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

[quote name="Lasttye" )
    You are the only person that has ever mentioned her.. however am sure Chris Brown mentioned her in Suited and Booted..could be wrong..but i did get a message off a lad who was writing a book and would do a page on her.
    She will for certain get a mention In Walking Tall.:)[/quote]

What's Suited & Booted/ Walking Tall ?

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

What's Suited & Booted/ Walking Tall ?[/quote]

Sorry Gsvs5 Suited and Booted is a Brilliant Book By Chris Brown who gets on here...Its about Skinheads/Teenagers 60s/70s. you can buy it on Amazon.
    Walking Tall..or is it Standing Tall? is the book now being put together by people on this site ..with all the hard work being done by MoM/Paul. and Little Queenie.

We are always looking for people to contribute stories from 68/71...but post 71 is also welcome taking into account of regional differences...and the bootboy thing.:) But no later than 72 I think.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  7. catchourbreath

catchourbreath Well-Known Member

Why such reverence towards Germany?

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

See, if you're reading what I'm actually saying, I'm sure you can fill up one CD with Northern Soul tracks that I would like. However, I could fill up twenty CDs with Northern Soul tracks which disappoint me.

10. Man-of-Mystery

Sorry Gsvs5 Suited and Booted is a Brilliant Book By Chris Brown who gets on here...Its about Skinheads/Teenagers 60s/70s. you can buy it on Amazon.
    Walking Tall..or is it Standing Tall? is the book now being put together by people on this site ..with all the hard work being done by MoM/Paul. and Little Queenie.

We are always looking for people to contribute stories from 68/71...but post 71 is also welcome taking into account of regional differences...and the bootboy thing.:) But no later than 72 I think.[/quote]

The working title is 'Walk Proud' or "Walking Proud'. :)

11. Man-of-Mystery

I'm mixed English/Irish/Welsh/Scottish by ancestry. My dad was in the RAF in WW2 and fought against the Nazis and Ustaše in Jugoslavia. I've been anti-Nazi all my life, but I have had many German friends, ride a German motorcycle, and admire German cultural heritage. I also believe that just because young men fought on the opposite side to my dad in WW2 doesn't mean they weren't brave even though they fought for a poor cause - the Iron Cross wasn't given away with cornflakes!

1 person likes this.
  12. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

The same can be said for reggae and for that matter any musical genre though..there's a lot of 'watery' tracks yes, but you have to look past them to search for the gems. Ill post ya one soon when I get time

13. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

I know quite a few Germans myself and have visited berlin and Munich in recent years and id like to think and hope that the collective madness that the Nazis cloaked that country in could not happen to the German people i think of as friends . English bellends and German neo nazis however are fucking idiots who have learned nothing from history.

1 person likes this.
  14. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Easiest thing to do is get Spotify and type in top NS 500 and you get all the tracks in the book ( http://www.goldsoul.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=68 ) most of em are great with a few 'what the fuck were the DJ's and dancers thinking moments ) ..

15. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Is there another country anywhere in the world that is as well run as any German-speaking country (I include Austria and Switzerland) ?

All are fantastic countries; but Germany is the economic powerhouse and possibly the one where it might be easiest for someone starting out to make a living.

1 person likes this.
  16. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Anyway,as I was saying,I would not have minded meeting that young Lady in the Barbers(around `68)-or any other date for that matter!!!:D:D:D

17. Pequod

Pequod Member

Lasttye, thanks for the background information, especially for dating and localization. I knew the picture before. One of my favorite pics.

18. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Tom,finding all that Gear down the Lane-would certainly have bought tears to my eyes.Would not have been able to wear though,have put on quite a few Pounds since the 60s:)

1 person likes this.
  19. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

No probs Pequod....The information on that photo was kindly supplied by Bob R.:)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  20. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Unless I'm very much mistaken, this photo is of a National Front march that was held in Bolton in Sept/Oct 1971. The NF arranged the march on a day when Bolton Wanderers were at home to Blackburn Rovers (both towns with large numbers of Asian immigrants) A local derby that would guarantee that there were lots of 'likely lads' in town. Sadly, an early example of how the right wing would try to influence/capitalize on some aspects of skinhead attitudes. Bolton is in Greater Manchester, but fashion wise would be some months behind central Manchester. In a couple of days I'll post details of a little escapade involving t'Wanderers - be of interest to you Chelsea lads!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.