Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Thanks for the heads up!

2. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

I don't think South Sea Bubble have been much mentioned here. I recall in 1971 that slightly flared South Sea Bubble cotton jeans were pretty much de rigueur in my area. Worn with a Village Gate roll neck in Shetland wool and , as you say, Toppers shoes - great!

3. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

... or a multi-patchwork-style crew-neck?

Not a million miles from this... but brighter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

4. Basset

Basset Senior member

Spot on Mike, the Turnpike or the star as i call it is one of them sizzler chain jobbys, i live just down the road not far from the Archers, also boarded up, worked in the Inkerman circa 84 whilst it was having a refit

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Fantastic.

6. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

They were similar to the 80's Armani jumpers the Casuals wore circa 84 . All the clobber i wore was sourced via the terraces at London football matches , To young to go nightclubbing it was my catwalk so to speak . Ruperts - now were they American golfing slacks originally ?

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Talk to Lasttye about them.He remembers them(or was it later you were talking about?)

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

If I remember correctly,mine was Beige,Brown and Rust-wore them with Beige "Bags".:)

9. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

I had a dark blue , light blue , grey combination . Wore it with pastel bags and a very small leather belt . Was the start of the mid 70s Soul boy look that a lot of 'too young to be a proper Skin kids got into from 75 , pretty sure the Great Gatsby film was out and a big inspiration to a lot of 70s clobber that if you look hard enough really is copies of 1930's clothing . Anyone got a pic of Toppers ?

10. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

No the OG's from 72 ish i think . I got mine in a menswear shop on the North End rd . Very much a 'London football boy ' look but with most clothes that youth cults appropriate not meant for teenage boys in the first place . Looked good with spray painted DM's ( we sprayed ours silver then put little stars on them and did another coat in blue - peel off the stars and a lovely dark blue n silver stars combo appeared ) .

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

They had Pictures of those-taken at Selhurst Park.

Remember the "Gatsby Look",even down to the Beige Cap(as worn by Robert Redford).Thought I looked the Dogs B*ll*cks!!:)

12. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Just finished reading the George Marshall "Spirit of 69" and Nick Knight "Skinhead"books.The photos collected for M.O.M.s book are the best collection of Original's I've seen,that's a selling point.My humble opinion of the structure of the M.O.M.book would be like the book "Please Kill Me"about the Punk rock movement.If you are not familiar,the whole book is quotes from the people who were there.This thread already has that structure with the Originals Firm telling of their personal recolections.This type of structure would be different to any "Skinhead"book i've seen.I would definitely leave out the revival and 2 tone and Oi like the 2 books above delve into.Just my 2 cents.I do hope M.O.M.has help wit dis project as it must be a lot of work for one chap.

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

M-o-M has a very able Assistant in Little Queenie.The other Skinhead Books were by People who were not actually there,only heard about it or only took Photos of the second Lot.I am not saying it is going to be a "Best Seller",but I hope it will give a truer insight,into the Skinhead World(of the 60s).Telling it as it actual was! :)

14. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I had a feeling Little Queenie may be helping.Brooks Brothers is having a sale.Some decent BD shits 50% to 70% off in some cases.http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSortOrder.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=306

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Didn't we - or just bollox? :satisfied: