Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Hey that's one of my all time favourite songs. Going to teach it to my Mongolian students next week.

Can't stand Engelbert Humperdinck though.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Englebert Humperdinck and Lawrence Welk are a scourge on anyone looking through old records to buy, you are guaranteed to find at least one record by both if you are going through a thrift store or any pile of old records even if the person doesn't listen to that stuff it mysteriously manifests itself in their collection that is for sale.

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Hey don't mind me asking, how much is a pint of bitter or lager in the UK now?

4. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

South London / North Kent Fosters lager is £3.30 in a normal pub but around £3.00 in a Wetherspoons. Stronger brands are more expensive. Bitter not as popular now and not much cheaper than the lager although Wetherspoons do deals

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Thanks for that Aces. Last time I bought a pint in a British pub was about 4 years ago, Wetherspoons in Bristol. Courage Best, think it was around £1.70-1.80 if memory serves. BTW I pay equivalent of 50p for 500ml of Beijing Yanjing beer in the local bars, which is a 4% lager. It's OK actually. :) That's when I'm not drinking the local fire water.

6. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

I think it was and has continued to be a youth subculture thing in general and was by no means exclusive to skinheads - in fact by about 1969 we had dropped them for the time being. The only one I had back then (in about 1967) was a light beige needlecord Wrangler which I very much liked as an alternative to denim.

As MoM mentions there was no compulsion to always wear the branded items. I was reading a 1962 interview with a young Marc Feld the other day and noted in particular that his group of friends advocated the best tailoring, but when it came to shirts, for example, they were not averse to buying one in Woolworths and having it altered.

I recall a similar philosophy. Tailoring had to be special, preferably bespoke (as opposed to MTM) but not all of us could afford that. Denim too, was taken very seriously and I recall only Lee and Wrangler were ‘permitted’ alternatives to Levis. Knitwear was normally from M&S as were socks and underwear. Shirts would be Ben Sherman, then US imports. Some latitude was allowed with footwear – I recall getting away with wearing Solatios in the Royal era and some friends wearing English brogues.

Accessories provided a lot of scope – a cotton handkerchief from Woolies for 1s 6d could work very well as a pocket square. As we know Harringtons came from Millets and I even had a beige gabardine raincoat from there too!

But denim style jackets for us at least had to be from the 'big 3'.

7. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Been lurking on here for ages and thought i need to jump in .. im 54 and a child of North Kensington . Remember my older cousins in Levis and Gibsons/ Smooths and then up the Loft at QPR watching the teenagers in sheepskins n shermans . Could never afford a pair of Levis or Royals and even my harrington was a jeckyle version from Bush market .. amazing forum and the pics are brilliant . Best Skinhead mob i ever saw was Eccles gang at QPR in 68 - petrol blue sta prest , cherry reds , braces and sheepskins ... the kids in this vid are Arsenal and its from 68 /69 season

8. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

I was in a weatherspoons just the other week, and was surprised to see one of the real ales at only £1.30 a pint, that was late on a Saturday night too.

Wasn't a bad pint tbh.

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Hello flyfronted,welcome to the Team.:)

10. sivanpunk

sivanpunk Member

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Interesting Article.Cannot say if I remember hearing about Neat Change(though the Who Type Photo does look familiar).There were so many Mod Bands that were up and coming(`66/`67).I used to read the Adverts for the Marquee-but it would be for Zoot Money or Herbie Goins or Geno Washington.I saw the Syn there(with the Skatalites)in `67.First time I saw a Group in full "Flower Power" Gear.When their Record came out,I was into Rocksteady so I would not have taken any notice of it

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I have just ran through the Marquees`List of Dates,to see when I could have gone (mainly during the week).I would have been there on a Thursday seeing The Syn and The Skatalites(even though there is no mention of them,at all)in `67-and Neat Change were on the Saturday.Would have been interesting to see them!!!!

13. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

14. sivanpunk

sivanpunk Member

no probs! i did remember seeing some familiar pics in the article much earlier in this thread, so i wasn't sure.

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I hadn't seen it but I'm not as 'mature' or as long-established on the forum as some of our chums. (I said 'mature' - not old.) :)