1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I spoke to the Guy(about 20 years ago) and he did run "Harringtons" in Guildford.I only know what he told me.I am thinking of going to the place again-as it has been quite a while,since I was there.

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Roytonboy-Always interested in reading about the Scene,from other parts of the Country.There maybe 18 months/2 years difference in the timing of the "Look" but at least it was done.:)

3. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

They've got Bass weejun's on sale for 39.99 right now at 6pm.com two different colors, I don't know if they ship worldwide though.

4. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

roytonboy.Great post.Thanks for dat.Looking good Bob the Badger.Nice to have someone on here that can point out themselves in the old news photos.Very cool.

5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I remember that in the Daily Sketch. It was because of headlines like this that Yell took the piss with a headline reading 'DRUG SQUAD PROBE SEX IN SKINHEAD VIOLENCE'.

[​IMG]

6. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Come to think of it, the police were probably acting unlawfully, nicking bootlaces and braces. I remember thinking that at the time, but none of us mouthed off about it.

Apart from talking my way out of getting nicked for trying to bunk into the cinema in Lewisham through a back exit (which wasn't really 'mouthing off' apart from the fact that I remember grinning at one of the coppers and saying, "Come on, mate, if someone had really seen us from a window, you wouldn't be just talking to us, you'd be taking us down the station"), the only time I can remember anyone complaining about something was when my mate Mark decided he was going to march into the police station to complain about something. I remember going with him. I remember he was as angry as hell. I remember his complaint wasn't listened to.

But I can't remember what he was actually complaining about! I must be getting old.

Does anyone else from 'back in the day' remember any times when someone actually 'talked back' to a copper?

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Two of my Mates did(Hastings)and got thrown into the Van.I can still hear their Heads hitting the back....:)Me,I never talked back at Coppers:rolleyes:

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I had one or two rough Girlfriends but never violence,in our relationships!!!!!:)

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The last Message was supposed to go with this one.Bloody Computer-fixed it with a Hammer.Does that go under "ExSkinhead Violence"?.

10. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

browniecj - on the day of our trip Blackpool on Easter Monday 1972 it just happened that Blackpool F.C. were at home to Middlesborough that day. We saw the Boro mob chase some of the locals down the prom just after they has come out of the railway station. The Boro boys were all wearing denim jackets, jeans and Doc Martens, just as we would have dressed 18 months before that. Oddly though, I noticed a couple of them were carrying rolled brollies! (Must have just read the 'Suedehead' book by Richard Allen!)

11. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

At the time we thought the police were taking a bit of a liberty but we just went along with it. We just wanted to get down to the seafront and have a laugh. I remember there was some fuss in the papers regarding the legality of what they did but the Southend Police (and Essex Police in general) were hard cases not to be argued with. We ran into M & S, generally caused havoc,and knicked balls of string to tie up our boots.
    On one occasion half a dozen of us were arrested running on to Dagenham East station. The police had two cars and dogs and we were handled roughly. The police station was next door to the trains, about a 100 yard walk, but they put us in vans to transport us. The only crime we had committed was for ticket evasion and we didn't have a clue what was going on. All dressed up, suited and booted , we were accused of a car garage robbery and there was a witness that said it was us. She even pointed me out directly. We knew we were innocent so there was a bit of back chat and one mate told to get rid of his chewing gum just spat it, at a distance, straight into a bin. Classic. The copper went wild but just at this point the real villains were brought into the station. They were Irish didicoys and looked nothing like us. We were told to go on our way without so much as an apology. We 'dined-out' on that story for years.

12. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Hello. I am the member formerly known as Brideshead. I have been having problems with my password so have registered with my new name.... Will it work?

13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Ooooohhhhh... get you, honky-tonk! (Shades of Dick(!!!) Emery.) :satisfied:

16. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

in 74 i got nicked outside Stamford Bridge by a Gavver on a horse who ( wrongly ) thought i was taking the piss out of him - i got pulled along by my hair for 200 yards by him and his horse trotting and then he slapped me around the face when away from the crowd with his short whip .. got a £200 fine as well for 'obstruction ' . My black mate would get 'nigger this ' nigger that ' off the OB on a weekly basis .

17. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

In late '69 whilst playing cards for money with some mates (3 card brag) one of the boys mentioned that he had heard a rumour that the Mile End Mob were planning to burn down the travelling fair at Barking Park. We decided to go along as observers.

When we got there hundreds of kids were roaming around. I remember that my crew were dressed in Harringtons but at the park most of the East End boys had a military look and were wearing flying Jackets etc. Police were there in force and eventually we were shepherded towards the exits followed by 30 odd fairground workers. Then it kicked off. I was chased and caught by two gippos. The police looked on as I took a beating, but I stayed on my feet and managed to run across the dodgem ride and get away. My mate Les got cornered by two OB and as he was about to get arrested he realised he could lose his new apprenticeship job down at Fords so he lashed out hitting one of the coppers and knocking his helmet off.. He got away and jumped on a bus that was passing the park gates.

Luckily they never got him and he kept his job. I returned to Barking Station with plenty of cuts ,bruises and a black eye, but in one piece. I was treated like a hero and I got a buzz from the reaction of others but in truth I just got caught out.

18. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Great story B the B...Thats what being a Skinhead was all about...:D

Flyfronted...Any Black mate with us would get the N word off the Old Bill...The Black lads was so use to it ..they never took any notice...Back then its was a Racist society ..no one knew any different....Thats the way it was.
    The West Indians had it hard back then...these days I go into old West Indian Houses, Little Union Jacks with pics of Lady Di are seen. Of all the immigrants ..the West Indians are the most integrated and patriotic.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  19. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Edit: Don't post pissed. :embar:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  20. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Great story Bob the Badger.Lasttye interesting quote about the west indians.I vote it goes in the book.