Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Heyska

Heyska Active Member

Hehehe, thanks Ed. Definitely on the right side over here. Using my free time to have a nice wardrobe setup when I get back. I already have a Harrington, two FP polos, a few pairs of Sta-prest slacks and two nice check button-ups waiting for me when I get back. =) My wife laughs when I tell her that this deployment is putting money in my suit fund...

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Hello Heyska,welcome aboard.Take it easy there,Mate.You are getting a good start on your Wardrobe.

I never really watched TOTP during the 60s,always felt it was a very pale imitation of RSG.Now I am an old git I have watching(for the upteenth time)"Sounds Of The 60s" on the Yesterday Channel.What has surprised me-bit late I know-was the slowness FlowerPower" had on the Groups.Looking at the ones done `67/`68,you can still see the Mod Look still in Dress,complete with longer Brushed Back Hair.Mike D`Abo could have been one of the Mods we have spoken about,earlier in this Thread.On one occasion(singing the "Mighty Quinn")ne has a short Leather Jacket,Crew Neck(Cable Stitch)Jumper and a BD Shirt.

A Question I would like to ask the Originals.Did you ever go and see Groups like Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band and Jimmy James and the Vagabonds.These were popular between `66 to `69.I remember going to see Geno on quite a few occasions.Jimmy James not so much.I remember also going to see the Foundations(`68),they were good "Live".My last Pop Record I bought was the Equals,in`68,"Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys".

I know this a bit off Subject,but I think "Tools"have had enough exposure.:)

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

sorry there is some mistakes in the last Entry(more than usual anyway),my Computer has gone funny on me.I will have to wack it with a Hammer-whoops "Tools" again.:D

4. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Jimmy James ? Yes above Burton's in Uxbridge. Heading out of town again. Red red wine and all that.

From google (not written by me)

http://www.francisfrith.com/uxbridge/

Exciting And Interesting Times

Windsor Street c1965
    Enlarge photo | More about this photo
    Not sure if anyone reads their comments later in life, but in response to one, it was Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers. Cliff lived in Long Lane, next door to where I lived when I was 3 or 4. We lived in the flats on the corner of Sutton Court Road. Though me and my mates lived in Hillingdon, Uxbridge was the place to be. Skinheads at this particular time in our lives (Ben Shermans/Brutus shirts/Harrington jackets) my first two-tone tonic suit brought from Temples in the High Street. Plain cap, brogue shoes and staprest trousers - we were the dogs!!! Levis at sixty five shillings a pair. Our evenings out included visits to the following:- Uxbridge Burtons, listening to amongst others Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band and drinks in the pub below, I think it was the Queens Head? The Pinn Inn (in the RAF camp) Top Rank Watford, New Penny Watford, Cheeky Pete's Richmond, Boat House Kew, South Harrow/Slough bird's nests, King's Head Harrow-on-the-Hill, Hammersmith... Read more

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  5. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Another place we used to go to was the Hammersmith Palais occasionally. I think it was cheap on a Sunday and promoted some sort of au pair night.

A big place but really crap music. Ray McVeigh and his bleedin Orchestra. You would have thought they would have been given the sack by then but some of those big dance halls did not really know what they were doing. Maybe they were hedging their bets in case of a ballroom dancing revival ?

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Remember Cheeky Petes in Richmond,Twickenham Bird Nests Pub-never went out to Uxbridge though.

Ah!Ray McVeigh,he went on for years.Did the Hammersmith Palais on a few occasions.With a Motor,you could get around a bit.Always wanted to see what was going on-checking first if there was any animosity beforehand(was going to the Cats Whiskers,Streatham one night-found out there had been trouble between some of the Boys we knew,and Streatham.Gave it a miss for a few weeks).Gathering Intelligence then saved us getting a kicking,anywhere.

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I never saw Geno or Jimmy James. Most of the places I went to (up North) played records or had a 'house band'. I do recall the 'one-nighter' tours that came around - you had to see all the acts on the bill to see the one you wanted to see. So I ended up seeing acts as diverse as Cat Stevens, Spencer Davis Group, Englebert Humperdink, The Tremoloes, and Jimi Hendrix. The big surprise was Englebert - as soon as he had got his corny ballads out of the way off came the jacket and he launched into 'Land of 1000 Dances'.

8. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Johnny Johnson and His Bandwagon - Blame it on the Pony Express was one of the regulars 'oop North', here.

Few others at various 'Town' venues.

Biggest ever was Stevie Wonder - 70/71 - and the Temptations.

Still enjoy some of the older Motown.

Bizarrely, in 1969, we turned up in Manchester city centre - after going to see 'If' at the flix - and happened on a free Procol Harum concert at UMIST - hippy central.

We were badly outnumbered and kept the heads down. :embar:

Just googled it: http://www.procolharum.com/99/ph_690607-umist.htm

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  9. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

I saw Geno Washington about four times at Chelmsford Corn Exchange in 1968 and 69 - fantastic.

Going back to shoes. Cheers Ed. I always enjoy talking to John but don’t get into his emporium as often as I would like.

Yes, it’s all very well saying that the Loake Brogue isn’t up to the mark, but where does that leave those of us who try to approximate the look of 1969/70 in the 21st Century? Roy, I know advocates Allen Edmonds and John Simons favours the Florsheim Imperial long wing (which he sold me). Both options are pretty expensive here and of course the Florsheim is no longer made in the US and could also be said to be ‘disappointing’ in some respects.

I now realise I was wrong to say ‘forget Loakes’. Their 1880 models and equivalent calf shoes are of a very acceptable quality albeit of course not really in the classic skinhead styles. I see Loake, like many other British brands are latching onto the current interest in mod/skinhead in the way they are projecting some of their products.

http://www.loake.co.uk/

10. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

I remember that Top of the Pops clip well as I at 14 wanted to have the Mike D'Abo look. Another gut was the late Barry Evans in Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush - an iconic film of that late mod time

11. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

... and being in the 'Mob', you're still trim enough to look good in it. :nodding:

Check the site out and you'll see that even some of the errrr... more mature gentlemen :satisfied: can turn it on too. (Not me, I hasten to add.) :embar:

Safe home. :)

12. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

13. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Actually they showed this photos in a documentary, and did a pan shot over these. I had to photoshop and cut all the pieces together to get 'em to it's original state.

Great stuff, especially of that Gerry fella from Newcastle sending his old photo's to this site, in a nice chronological way from the tale end of mod into skinhead and out again in style of Bunty's bro. Definately a page to keep an eye onto.

(Cullercoats Harbour)
    [​IMG]
    (see quote down below)
    [​IMG]
    (This one was doing circles a bit longer showe up in this thread a couple of times as well, but eventually led Gerry to that site, where he send all of these. Taken in Butlins, wearing the same Fred Perry tennis shirt as in 1968 :p)
    [​IMG]
    (this one posted earlier, Gerry with Newcastle fans in away day action)
    [​IMG]
    (New Years Eve up in Newcastle)
    [​IMG]
    (Both taken in Butlins)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (another shot of Newcastle fans in away day action)
    [​IMG]

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

lucky!! I have the Geno W & Ram Jam Band live cd recorded in 60s and you can just hear the energy, can only imagine how much moreso it was if you were there live

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I saw Geno mostly in smaller Clubs(I think the Marquee being the first time`66/`67)).He really knew how to work the Crowd.I can still hear the Chants now-"Geno,Geno,Geno!"Saw him at Guildford Civic Hall,around `69 and it seemed to have lost it a bit-still good,but.with a larger Venue,dunno maybe it was me....

Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon,forgotten about them.Saw the Group at the Civic Hall,brilliant Concert.Wanted to see the Showstoppers but missed them.

Remember the Pop Concerts with the "All Star Line-up" - the one I saw that I can remember was the Small Faces,Dave Berry,The Hollies,Crispian St.Peter.There was a later one with Leapy Lee"Little Arrows" but I cannot think of the other Groups.