Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Les Skuse is probably the best known British tattooist and I have seen plenty of info on him on the web

2. Aces and Eights

Gang fights between rival skinheads was rife in the day. I was stabbed in my left hand when stopping a broken bottle to my face. The times you smashed a light ale bottle to use and you was left with a 2 inch useless neck of glass but this occasion the fellas bottle broke correctly and I had to respond quickly and I rather have severed ligaments than a scarred face. Later with years of martial arts training you learn to amend your automatic reactions to various attacks / threats to block and counter attack. I think there was more of a litter problem years ago as I recall seeing more half bricks and bottles lying around then rather than now. Or is there just more plastic now? The other time I was stabbed in the skinhead era was another gang fight and I was knifed in the backside. I did not know I had been stabbed due to the adrenaline rush until it was all broken up and I could feel I was wet and my strides were all staining. I had to leg it home and get my Mum to clean and patch me up. Very embarrassing but was a great laugh and talking point in the pub when met up with my mates the next day. Was painful to sit down for a week or so. At the end of my teens I started doing door work in pubs and local discos and the drunks were never a problem as they were too pissed to connect punches and just threatened to stab and shoot you to boring point. The dangerous ones were the little sneaky ones who tried a sly punch from your blind side. The only good side of door work was pulling sorts

3. Aces and Eights

I don't recall us wearing any sort of hat at all. The black lads had their narrow brimmed trilby's and pork pie hats

Tamma Shanties ( tartan flat cap with a bobble on top) wear fashionable say 72 ish - that's all i remember

4. buttons

buttons Senior member

Massive shame.
    Went there when I was 15 (sadly that wasn't in 1970 as I'm only half your age, Ed!).
    Its a shit hole but pure class. There's no shortage of soul do's to go to after it shuts but it'll never be the same.

Anyone know when its actually closing?

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

You always went home,to clean up-except when it was really serious.My Mum would ask twenty questions,my Dad would just sit and looked.Seen it all before(I suppose), been in the Navy.We had a Party and because there had been a lot of "Gate-Crashing" lately-us included,I helped look after my Mate`s Front Door.The very start of 14 years Door work,over the years.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

We had Trilbies-navy blue.The Pork Pie Hats were earlier.

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

The beret had 'The North' written all over it!

8. Man-of-Mystery

9. Man-of-Mystery

Yep, had one. My mum hated it. Mind you, she hated everything I wore.

10. Man-of-Mystery

Regarding weapons - I never went tooled up, my excuse being it would ruin the line of my suit. ;)

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

It was only when the Big Fights happened-the word would go around"such and such Mob are coming".I would not wear "Tools" with my Suit.I bought a Flick Knife from Venice(when I went with the School)they were Legal there. The only problem was,it came out of the front-so I thought FT to wearing it with my Suit.

When the Hair grew longer,did any of you Originals start going to Clubs where you became a proper Member,and you were served Chicken or Scampi in a Basket(with Chips)?This would be about the time of Berni Inns.They would not let you in if you had cropped Hair.Always went there on a Saturday Night-to try and impress a Girl!!!:)

12. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

The New Penny in Watford was very 'chicken in a basket' in the early 70s.

Going back to what I said before, I do see a big significance in the fact that people were heading OUT of town to clubs.

Mods used to go Up West to places that played obscure music that nobody else knew about. Mods stayed out longer with pills to keep them awake.

Top Rank etc was mainstream - a bit more Motown and soul - but not too different from the Top Twenty. Dance halls did not stay open all night and you would not want to hang around in the sticks waiting for the first train home. A few diehards still went Up West but not so many.

13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

[​IMG]

Accompanied by a bottle of Blue Nun or Mateus Rose to loosen the knicker elastic... God, I was a smooth bastart! :embar:

14. Aces and Eights

To take a girl to a Berni Inn and be able to order a bottle of Blue Nun - you knew you had achieved the pinnacle of class!! I had forgotten all about them. - Always serve a decent steak

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

A Berni Inn, in Manchester city centre, was where I first learned about appropriate tipping... left 50p and felt I'd been robbed when I didn't get 30p change. (The Scots, mean - I think not!!!) :satisfied: