• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Raff72

Reaction score
Also, on the subject of "wet look" shoes that were mentioned earlier in the thread, I've got a pair of Hudson patent leather pimpish loafers a mate half inched for me for my birthday years ago. They're italian made and apparently were worth a small fortune back in the day. They are a really dark electric blue (they look black in anything but sunlight) with a gold coloured bar across the tongue (hence why I call em pimp loafers) I must admit they haven't had much of a run in the last couple of years but I've just pulled them out of the shoe cave (cheers for the inspiration) and I reckon they shal get a guernsey in the coming weeks.

I have tried to get a decent photo of them but I think they need to be shot out in natural light to show their actual colour. I've also just scored a pair of unworn (so the seller says) Loake brightons off evilbay so the Down Under Dandy rides again lol.

The only shoes that aren't trainers that I regularly wear these days are Clarks Wallabys so it will be nice to express myself a little differently over the coming weeks...

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most injuries came from glass...bottles or the pint mug, causing awful disfigurement, skinheads in pubs, disco's... The glass was there ready, getting drunk lads was quick to use the glass, it was always a worry when getting in a argument,
One of our lot got badly cut with a bottle.. Charlie V he was in the BBC Skinhead Documentary, in the interview they asked him how he got it, I was standing behind the camera while the interview was taking place, cant remember what he said, but i know it had a massive impact on him, Charlie V RIP was stabbed to death a few years later.
Around our way lads was getting glassed all the time, To me glassing someone was a awful cnuting thing to do, it was the shear violence of it.. the music going the noise of the smashed glass ..the blood/beer all over the place , girls screaming. Even now the thought makes my blood run cold.
I was chatting to some old Kilburn Skinheads last Christmas, I said i,am sure some of the stuff we witnessed left me somewhat traumatized for a few years. It was not so much the violence is was how some of the nutters behaved, that was 60s/70s NW London a fcuking crazy place.

I believe I might have told you,Roy,one of the times I visited the Watford Top Rank.It went off big time one Saturday Night.They were lined up chucking half empty Glasses at each other.Girls were getting cut everything.I thought FT and got out quick.Another time,I saw a Skinhead who had been "glassed" previously.Not a pretty sight.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe I might have told you,Roy,one of the times I visited the Watford Top Rank.It went off big time one Saturday Night.They were lined up chucking half empty Glasses at each other.Girls were getting cut everything.I thought FT and got out quick.Another time,I saw a Skinhead who had been "glassed" previously.Not a pretty sight.

Top Rank was a massive venue. Unlike the mod era, skinheads tended to move away from the centre for dance halls and clubs.

I managed to avoid the worst of the violence. I certainly never sought it out, but I heard all sorts of stories of what went on.

That said, kids were not getting shot or stabbed to death with the frequency that occurs today - particularly amongst black youths,

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Top Rank was a massive venue. Unlike the mod era, skinheads tended to move away from the centre for dance halls and clubs.
I managed to avoid the worst of the violence. I certainly never sought it out, but I heard all sorts of stories of what went on.
That said, kids were not getting shot or stabbed to death with the frequency that occurs today - particularly amongst black youths,

Yep the Top Rank Watford, We would get on the train at Queens Park, It is was Two shillings to get in?, they also had a burger bar in there, great venue.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
I am currently fuqqed, in drink - eh? but it's brilliant that the old madness has spawned great - if just mental - recollections from the 'usual suspects' - and for this, I'm grateful.

Nutters!

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I am currently fuqqed, in drink - eh? but it's brilliant that the old madness has spawned great - if just mental - recollections from the 'usual suspects' - and for this, I'm grateful.
Nutters!

Wine - by the pint - classy fuqqer me, folks!

ModxDave

Reaction score
Mikey Stilts?!?! It's Mod Dave! I've been reading this thread for days and just realized this was you! How the **** are you?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep the Top Rank Watford, We would get on the train at Queens Park, It is was Two shillings to get in?, they also had a burger bar in there, great venue.

It was always a special visit going there.I had a "Pen Friend"(remember them),who lived in Bushey.Went out a few times,but her Parents did not approve.
It was something that was totally at odds,with what I was doing(in the late 60s/early 70s),writing to Pen Friends.At one time,I had 5 on the go-and not all of them were Girls.I met a couple of them too.Vicky lived in Bushey and invited me down.When I got there,it was a big House.We met up a few times.Later,in the `71/`72,I met Chris who came from Crewe.He came to London for a visit and told me about the embroynic "Northern Soul Scene"-that is when I got to know more about the Twisted Wheel.We corresponded quite a bit after that.Never went North though.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about the "Flat Cap" it has become skinhead headwear since the late 70's.I don't see originals wearing it in photos.What are the thoughts from the originals Firm.

That fact that you don't see us wearing it tells the whole story, mate.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
I call it the pseudo-irish cap, It's always worn by someone claiming to be irish-american and how proud they supposedly are with their shamrock tattoos.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Violence
In terms of violence it was mainly the greasers we had to watch - but even they seemed quite 'gentlemanly' in our area. The most I got was a chipped tooth from a kicking at a dance at a village hall in 1968. I remember it very well as it was the weekend my grandma died.
We rarely went tooled up. Used to talk about it but usually bottled out.
Big Events and other stuff
Where was I at the moon landing? I was at a friend’s house and his dad would not give me a lift home as he was glued to the telly. Me and my friends did not think it cool to appear impressed by any major event - a trait that has stayed with me really.
With regard to playing football in expensive clothes it was part of the basic philosophy. You spent as much as (no, rather more than) you could afford and stood up on the train to keep the mohair crease free on a Saturday night – but you came home looking wrecked!
Loakes – forget them.
John Simons spent a long time recently giving me a lecture on the merits of the original Royals compared to the Loake Royal Brogue. The latter are ‘disappointing’ he said. Why? The original was made in England from calf. The Loake is assembled in England (partly) from older leather and is coated (corrected grain). The original had a whole strip of leather from heel to toe where the Loake has two pieces (look at the join on the instep). The original was a superior colour and finish throughout.
Loake Brighton
http://www.jumpthegun.co.uk/product/Loake_Brighton_Loafers_Burgundy

Another reason (were one needed) why this thread is so important/enlightening... thank you. :satisfied:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

What about the "Flat Cap" it has become skinhead headwear since the late 70's.I don't see originals wearing it in photos.What are the thoughts from the originals Firm.
Not me, pal - and I don't know anyone who wore one.

Now a beret... :satisfied:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Most injuries came from glass...bottles or the pint mug, causing awful disfigurement, skinheads in pubs, disco's... The glass was there ready, getting drunk lads was quick to use the glass, it was always a worry when getting in a argument,
One of our lot got badly cut with a bottle.. Charlie V he was in the BBC Skinhead Documentary, in the interview they asked him how he got it, I was standing behind the camera while the interview was taking place, cant remember what he said, but i know it had a massive impact on him, Charlie V RIP was stabbed to death a few years later.
Around our way lads was getting glassed all the time, To me glassing someone was a awful cnuting thing to do, it was the shear violence of it.. the music going the noise of the smashed glass ..the blood/beer all over the place , girls screaming. Even now the thought makes my blood run cold.
I was chatting to some old Kilburn Skinheads last Christmas, I said i,am sure some of the stuff we witnessed left me somewhat traumatized for a few years. It was not so much the violence is was how some of the nutters behaved, that was 60s/70s NW London a fcuking crazy place.
I got 'bottled' in the Crown & Anchor - off Newton Street, in Manchester... but it was 1977.

Just the 18 stitches... and you're so right... many pubs here in Manchester have reintroduced plastic glasses and no bottles.

My bro went to prison for using a bottle on a couple of drug dealers - wrongly, IMHO. (Ruined his life.)

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

It was always a special visit going there.I had a "Pen Friend"(remember them),who lived in Bushey.Went out a few times,but her Parents did not approve.
It was something that was totally at odds,with what I was doing(in the late 60s/early 70s),writing to Pen Friends.At one time,I had 5 on the go-and not all of them were Girls.I met a couple of them too.Vicky lived in Bushey and invited me down.When I got there,it was a big House.We met up a few times.Later,in the `71/`72,I met Chris who came from Crewe.He came to London for a visit and told me about the embroynic "Northern Soul Scene"-that is when I got to know more about the Twisted Wheel.We corresponded quite a bit after that.Never went North though.
The 'Wheel' - as Little Suzie will testify - is now 'donald-ducked'.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...ster-nightclub-twisted-wheel-faces-demolition

More of my 'yoof' down the bog.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
Been busy of late so had a bit of catching up to do, thanks george for the link to harry potters nice to see pics on his site wearing a white coat, theres a few pics knocking about on the net of famous Bristol tattooist Les skuse in the same attire.
Les Skuse is probably the best known British tattooist and I have seen plenty of info on him on the web

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads