Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mr twist tag

Mr twist tag Member

I live in a little village called shotgate(wickfor

This made me laugh ed!:D
    One of my best reads on my lunch break for awhile cheers!!

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Back in the day, had a mate - Dennis (RIP) - who had a one-foot length of garden hose, filled with sand and the lead shot you used in airguns, with both ends sealed.

Saw him hit one of the fairground greebos with it... broke his arm.

We used to hit the fair, at Platt Fields in south Manchester, in big numbers back then.... it got messy.

Apparently it had always been a place for the locals to take on the show-people.

Travelling funfairs: good wholesome fun for all the family. :bounce2:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  3. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

I am sure all the original skinhead members would be more than happy to post their experiences / stories / memories of back in 69 and thereabouts but I personally find that i need some sort of prompting whether it be hearing some old sounds of the time or a mention of something I possessed at the time otherwise the brain struggles with thinking back 40 odd years ago. So if you younger guys can give us a few leads on what it is you want recalling from those good old days I am sure the originals can perform !!!

Please don't think this is being arrogant as I am thinking it is just another way of keeping the conversations and contributions flowing on this great and interesting thread

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

You had two types of steel comb the ordinary one which was for blokes, and the one with a handle which was sharpened, If you carried the one with a sharpened end you could get nicked for it,
    If you was caught with a knife it was a DC sentence..and if you had previous it was Six to Two Borstal.

The Old Bill back then would not leave you alone, I did not know one Skinhead around my way who had never been Nicked...we got nicked for the most stupid of things....The Police could never get away with it these days.

5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

But if they hadn't been coppers, Roy, they may well have been skins - albeit old ones. :happy:

I mean, they liked the same sort of things as 'us'. :satisfied:

6. Baxter

Baxter Member

Same back in the early 80's, we had a pit by us and travelling old bill would pick on us Skinheads, there were about 20 of us on the common, they would give us a slap cos the miners, who were all grown men, were knocking barrels out of them, we were only 15/16 yrs old at the time. They never seemed to give the trendy kids a second look.

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Agree Ed, The Old Bill loved getting stuck in at football, I was up Blackpool v Chelsea match a copper on a horse, pulled out a batton and hit a lad over the back of the head ..and knocked him out.. the copper and horse done a runner the cnuts.
    Another time a mate ran on the pitch at Norwich with a Flag a Copper was playing tug a war with the flag..until my mate chinned the copper,:D
    other coppers grabbed him and slung him outta the ground, he just went to the other end and got back in,:D

Funny as fcuk, but the old bill could also be right cnuts like getting you in a back street give you a kicking then nick YOU for assault, got to admit though the coppers back then was real men, not the 4ft nothings some of em are these days.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  8. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

Two questions, gents:

1) how do Loake royals and brightons fit? True to size, narrow, loose, etc? I'm getting a pair for my wedding and have to order across the pond, with how much the shipping is I want them to fit right :satisfied:

2) where were you on the night of the moon landing?

9. Baxter

Baxter Member

I have a question for some of the original skins.

What did you do with your clothes when you stopped being a skin? did you wear them to work? things like Ben Shermans and the like.

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I not sure what you mean by Brightons, I would not waste my money on Loake, Go for the American Brogue, Alan Edmonds, Mac Neil or Alden Long Wing Blucher,
    Half my shoe collection are bought from the USA, You are lucky you live there so you wont have to pay to import.

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

They were the same age as us-19,Buttons.

The Steel Comb was always carried in a Girls Handbag-fck carrying it in your Jeans,would stab your b*ll*cks.The Old Bill would not stop the Girls-if they were walking in front of us or behind,at a distance.

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Thats one of the great mysteries for me, think me Mum just throw them out, As a teenager once some other fashion comes along you ditch the stuff without a thought.

13. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, it sure beats buying sight unseen.

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

My Mum used them forDusters,the rest just got used for Work(Trousers etc.,)then got thrown away.

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

To put you in the Picture-we always had a small mob of Girls with us.Only one of us went out with one of them,the rest just came with us.In their own right they were a handful.They did not go in for the gentler Sex bit(Flogger was put into Holloway for using a Blade),They would carry stuff about,so that is why the Old Bill never got us for "carrying" or "possession of".