Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Baxter

Baxter Member

Sounds like a plan, A guy from Coventry Eli Thompson who played trumpet on a Pogues song, owns a pub in Margate and puts on Ska and Trojan do's
    One of my mates who went to school with him has been down a few times.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

'Split the kipper' we called it... and we all had knives.

No one ever used one on anyone else, though - not in my wee world, anyway. :nodding:

A lot of the weapons - axes, razors and coshes etc - tended to be for show, only to be 'flashed' if you came unstuck with enemies, somewhere - well, usually. :satisfied:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

If I remember correctly,my Father bought me a Bowie Style Knife-when I was in the Scouts(12/13).Remember playing "Splits" with it though!!! :)

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Ed,Axes,Knives etc.,were not always for show.In some of the bigger Fights weapons were used.I carried a long Steak Knife(like a Machete)when these happened,stuck up my Jacket/Coat.I saw someone "razored" in a Club one night-not a pretty sightHave written about it before,on here.One Bank Holiday,a group of Skinheads(who were in a Car)got out,one brandishing a "Sawn-off".This was later used- I heard-in shootings of Greasers(2 ended up in Hospital)l.Brighton `69.Do not forget,on the other side(Greasers) they had Chains,Knives,Knuckle Dusters(got those as well),bits of Lead Pipe,and anything else they could get hold of.
    Yes,they were not as violent as today-only when the Gangs came up against each other.:)

5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

A&E I can remember wearing just such a combination in '68.

That was my experience. I guess I was 'one of the older mods', being 18 in '68. A skinhead 'look' didn't suddenly spring out of nowhere. Some things such as Levis and braces, v-neck sweaters, tennis shirts (FPs), and so on continued and new fashions didn't all come in together over night. For example I started buying Ben Sherman shirts because I began to see them around and they went with the other stuff I was wearing - and it wasn't as though I hadn't had button-down shirts before. I saw a couple of guys in Harrington jackets, thought one would go with the stuff I was already wearing and so I jumped on that bandwagon too. Squire Shop brogues - not as though I hadn't worn brogues before. And so it went on.

6. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Aye, I'm not denying that fellas, 'tooled-up' would - and did - set about each other, it's just that many I knew carried weapons more as a 'just in case' measure.

Re: 'shooters' - and I don't know if this is true - but the story goes that a Man City skin, outside Wembley in '69, said to a tout: 'Ever been stabbed, ya cockney twat'?

To which, the guy with the tickets, produced an old service revolver and said: 'Ever been shot - ya wanker?' (Flash git!!!) :happy:

I believe it. :D

7. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I was definitely (just) one of the herd in 1969 - but I was one of the first, in my age group - up here, anyway.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

8. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

It was quite usual for us to carry lock knives and switch blades (the ones opening from the side not straight out the end of the handle) and were used in street gang fights and were tended to be used in a slashing action and not a stabbing motion as this would be fatel. Most of the time the blade did not connect and it was a threatening thing and lasted for only seconds.

Some lads carried girls steel combs with the handle sharpened up. You would always be able to tell these blokes as their Levi jeans back pocket would have a worn hole in it !!

9. Aces and Eights

This is an interesting point regarding the shoes as on this thread I have referred to these patten of shoes as Royals as in the Loake range but in 69 / 70 in our area they were always spoke of as 'Squires'. Although I had the Loake Royal older lads who could afford this style bought theirs from the Squires shop and to impress we spoke of ours as the same.

Being impressed by the older lads I can still recall me at 15 and an older skinhead of say 19 and we were having a kick about in the park and he and and some mates of the same age joined in and while we were playing in DMs they had Squires shoes on and i thought now that's having money and class !!

10. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I'd forgotten the steel comb... a bizarre implement, as many of us had little hair. :happy:

11. Aces and Eights

Or even now !!!

12. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Not me - I'm like a short, fat, Max Clifford. (But without the money and influence.) :satisfied:

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Around our way so many had the sharpen steel comb...that it became a offencive weapon that you could get nicked for, Cut throat razors was carried and used, they was hidden in the fly of your Levis.
    Weapons was carried carried back then just like today mostly down to you knowing other gangs was tooled up.
    If you look at many ex 60s Skinheads they have battle scars, the weapon was used to slash rather than stab which as you say could be fatal,

Using of weapons has always gone on with teenage gangs, The thing these days some parts of the community stab to kilL...which is madness. This is what happens with mass immigration, people who come from Countries where vicious violence is the norm.

14. Baxter

Baxter Member

Some of my mates including me carried a knife, mostly as for defence. I used to go out with a girl who lived a couple of miles away and i had to walk through a rough area to get home at night, i always had the blade ready at hand incase some scrote tried it on, luckily it never happend to many times.

Now days kids will stick ya one in the back as they dont have the face to face fightng skills we had when we were young, its all hoodys and baggy joggers and a knife in ya back, Tossers

15. buttons

buttons Senior member

Great reading lads!

Brownie - gang of lads in a car with a sorn-off - I'm assuming these were older (or were they still teenagers, just dafter?!)

Playing footy in yer 7 guinee brogues - unforgiveable!

As for combs, I've heard many a tail of a sharpened steel comb but I would have thought if ye were getting searched, they'd take the comb off you, especially if sharpened. So if yer gonna lose it, ye may as well carry summet more useful. Or was there really a time when you could get away with "what this, officer - its for combing me hair"?

And Ed's "ever been stabbed" tail .... funny.