1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I got my Allen Edmonds Four years ago brill quality, The only problem with them they are to pointed...and the Aldens too round.

There is nothing in the UK to compare to the above..Church..Crocket & Jones , Trickers don't do longings,

2. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Another one from Gerry from Newcastle, with a Leather Flight Jacket, should ring bells with Bunty and Brownie. Late mod, 1967, but already discarding the continential flavour.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. elwood

elwood Senior member

Buttons, your Levi's denim jacket with patch over the left pocket takes me right back to Manchester 1969/70. As mentioned on thread previously, very much a Northern thing.

More examples in this photo (from Staffordshire in 1970) found on the internet.
    [​IMG]
    Two lads in Levi's jackets. Both with patches above pockets. Although back right has two patches and front left has patch on right hand side (looks like Youth Hostel Assn triangle [​IMG]above his left pocket). And front right wearing one of those nylon jackets with elasticated cuffs, popular at the time - we called them bomber jackets where I lived.

4. ek77

ek77 Senior member

welcome on board, tom!! ;) [​IMG]

5. buttons

buttons Senior member

Interesting pic mate. Cheers. Bottom left in a gingham Ben Sherman. I would have said more like '71 though.

6. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Makes sense buttons.Wall st. area has some items that appeal to the Stockbrokers(Ivy league)Next time your in NYC check Orchard st.Lower east side.Discount stuff sold by mostly Hasidic jews.Never know what you'll find.Just ignore the Rich Hipster infiltration and thier Boutiques(although they have a few items you might like,big money)From Orchard head east to Essex just south of Delancey.There is a tiny Hasid Bakery.The Best Bagels in town(and whitefish salad)Rest your toes a few blocks south at Seward Park.Just don't go there at night.

7. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

[​IMG]
    This is a New Arrival on the Levi's site.They call it a Sta-Prest Coaches jacket.They also have a pair of Sta-Prest pants in 511 skinny style(the photo they have of the pants is All Wrong in terms of fit)

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Welcome Tom.

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Back then,I would have killed for a Bottle Green Suede Levi(with Leather Collar)JacketNever mind!!!:drool:

10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Hi Tom! (Yes gods, this gets more like an AA meeting every day! :D )

11. Man-of-Mystery

Funny... people usually scream to be let out!

12. Man-of-Mystery

Buttons, this pic reminds me - I've not heard back from the young woman I met in the Levis shop in Glasgow yet, but I recall from our conversation that she had never heard of the way people in some parts of the UK sewed the leather patch from their jeans onto their jacket.

Mind if I send her this pic?

13. Man-of-Mystery

These look very stylish. They remind me of some shoes I borrowed from my dad in about '66 (half a size too big for me, in fact)

14. Man-of-Mystery

The suede and cord Levi jackets - memories!

15. buttons

buttons Senior member

Not at all mate.
    Typical of the day - take something American and give it an English twist.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. buttons

buttons Senior member

Another one from Gerry from Newcastle, with a Leather Flight Jacket, should ring bells with Bunty and Brownie. Late mod, 1967, but already discarding the continential flavour.

When we were kids and the suede Levi with leather collar was just a thing of myth and legend, we used to go into the record shop in the town center and after thumbing through the reggae, always end up looking at the cover of that Blues Breakers LP. Swore I'd get one, one day.
    I've got the bottle green one with green leather collar now - bought it off Gramps about 10-12 years ago (cheers mate - still appreciate getting first offer).
    Can't find a picture of it but I've got the green one with suede collar as well.

[​IMG]

17. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

18. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Some great 'new' pics, folks - nice.

19. buttons

buttons Senior member

I know the bloke in Aldens is obviously going to say his shoes are better than the competition's, but he was saying AE (and Florsheim) are not using USA Horween shells anymore, so the quality was inferior and that's how they managed to offer a more favourable price.
    I bought the Cape Cod pennies - much preferred the styling to their wide strap option.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I saw some Florsheim smooths in cordovan in Rome last year and they were very cheap (think about 220 quid). Not a bad shoe but compared to the Aldens, like a value sausage next to a rump steak!

20. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

I am under the impression that they still do use Horween on some models, but possibly not top quality. I've read of some skepticism regarding where the bulk of the work is done, which could also add to the price gap.