• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roy, not doubting what you say about trousers being pleated. But you are the only one who has ever said that about Skinheads wearing pleated trousers who i know. I always thought skinheads wore flat fronted trousers only. I have never liked pleated trousers personally, so will stick with the flat fronted. Also i seem to remember you saying about the back pleat on your shirts, you preffered them not sewn in, again you are the only one who has ever said that.
Not doubting what you are saying mate as you know more than me as you was out and about in those days. But its new to me.

Yes i have mentioned this before Alan, The tailor we went to in Kilburn we would let him get on with it, As a 15 year old in 69 I never had a clue what i wanted and relied on the tailor to make the suit that was in fashion so to speak, The trousers had a single pleat, cash pocket and two rear pockets all flapped, The suit i wear these days are the same as i wore back then, without the trousers above the ankle, Next time i see you, and I'am wearing a suit i will show you.

Regarding the shirts The American shirts from the Ivy/Squire shop did not have sewn in pleats, typical Ivy league style. Again all my shirts that i wear, these days, Ralph Lauren, Gant , Facconable BD Baggies do not have sewn in pleats.

Just going back to suits in 69/70 Off the peg suits would have flat fronted trousers, i also bought a nice pair of To Tone off the peg trousers from the Squire shop that was flat fronted,

Just to add again, not all BD Shirts has sewn in pleats... as i remember some lads would iron in the pleat then sew in little tags to hold the pleat in. I think the later Brutus and Jaytex had sewn in pleats, but i never wore them.

If you look at the photos that Bunty put up.. the lad is wearing single pleated trousers, I suppose as i said we just carried on with the late so called hard Mod look, Maybe MOM and Brownjei can put some input into this, but i think we have covered it before

Last edited:

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
Roy, not doubting what you say about trousers being pleated. But you are the only one who has ever said that about Skinheads wearing pleated trousers who i know. I always thought skinheads wore flat fronted trousers only. I have never liked pleated trousers personally, so will stick with the flat fronted. Also i seem to remember you saying about the back pleat on your shirts, you preferred them not sewn in, again you are the only one who has ever said that.
Not doubting what you are saying mate as you know more than me as you was out and about in those days. But its new to me.

I agree with Roy's later response trousers were usually flat fronted. When I first had trousers made to measure in 69 I requested flapped money pocket, rear flapped pocket, metal side adjusters and parallel leg etc I did not think to ask for flat front. The tailor just went ahead and inserted pleats. At first I was bewildered but soon got used to them and they looked smart and I went on to have suits made the same. This was a local respected tailor so I assumed he should know 'what went with what'. I wore Ben Shermans with back pleat and also remember un-picking the pleats when the fashion changed because I still liked wearing these shirts.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
I would like to get down to Margate this weekend at some stage. I have a motor on Ebay and I am unsure at this stage when it will be collected at the weekend. I am not a night person so I would like to get down for a few beers either Friday or Saturday afternoon. Is the venue open in the afternoons like a pub ? Do you regulars meet in a particular bar? If I can get down there I would be pleased to meet up with the contributors to this true traditional skinhead thread

buttons

Reaction score
Margate's this coming weekend. West Coast Bar, from Friday afters onwards.

As for that For The Suits site - never looked at it before just now so it might be full of good stuff, but just read his article on sta press and not that impressed. His "This is the law" self-important attitude is unustified when he describes what a proper pair of sta press are supposed to be, which in my opinion (and the opinion of the sta press makers of the late 60s, including Levi's) is inacurate to say the least. Still, he's probably only 15 so plenty time to learn his trade.

See ye's Friday if ye can make it.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

that's my mate's blog, good fella. REALLY into proper gear, not just the usual new breed stuff. For a younger guy very clued up, the scene would do well with more fellas like him around.
I see - now I have had time to check the site out - you receive an honourable mention there. :nodding:

As does Bunty. :satisfied:

I was supposed to have been working when I took 10 minutes out for a 'search' mission... I've lost two hours buggering about and I'm now on a serious deadline - better crack on. :happy:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with Roy's later response trousers were usually flat fronted.  When I first had trousers made to measure in 69 I requested flapped money pocket, rear flapped pocket, metal side adjusters and parallel leg etc I did not think to ask for flat front.  The tailor just went ahead and inserted pleats.  At first I was bewildered but soon got used to them and they looked smart and I went on to have suits made the same.  This was a local respected tailor so I assumed he should know 'what went with what'.  I wore Ben Shermans with back pleat and also remember un-picking the pleats when the fashion changed because I still liked wearing these shirts.

With the Originals it was all new for us back in the 60s, We seemed to make it up as we went along, everything i ever wore was copied off someone else, I may have had that hard to get hold of shirt but the stye was the fashion of the day, As a 15 year old in 69, My mates and i would look at the older gang members for cloths guidance 17/18 year olds, old men to us, :)
Also as You and I have said Aces we relied on our Tailor when getting our first suit, Tailors have a way of doing things.. and don't like doing anything that they are not use too, So when we got our suit we did not have much say in the matter,:D
George the Tailor [ He was Indian] in Kilburn put pleats in the trousers so every Skinhead in Kilburn had pleats in their trousers, that the way it was.

Later 79/80s/90s Skinheads, had it all ready for them, they knew what the uniform was...we never had that, it was all new to us, When I hear Skinhead Moonstomp these days, I think to myself I heard that the week it came out, :)

Last edited:

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

With the Originals it was all new for us back in the 60s, We seemed to make it up as we went along, everything i ever wore was copied off someone else, I may have had that hard to get hold of shirt but the stye was the fashion of the day, As a 15 year old in 69, My mates and i would look at the older gang members for cloths guidance 17/18 year olds, old men to us, :)
Also as You and I have said Aces we relied on our Tailor when getting our first suit, Tailors have a way of doing things.. and don't like doing anything that they are not use too, So when we got our suit we did not have much say in the matter,:D
George the Tailor [ He was Indian] in Kilburn put pleats in the trousers so every Skinhead in Kilburn had pleats in their trousers, that the way it was.
Later 79/80s/90s Skinheads, had it all ready for them, they knew what the uniform was...we never had that, it was all new to us, When I hear Skinhead Moonstomp these days, I think to myself I heard that the week it came out, :)

Agree with all the above, Roy. I was a little older than you but we still had to find our own way as things were always moving on. That was part of the fun and I think we did sometimes drop some sartorial clangers along the way!

papyloic

Reaction score
did you see "PLAY" magazine about comics, special skinhead issue in october 69? will post pics after Margate...
biggrin.gif

harrysgame

Reaction score

Yes i have mentioned this before Alan, The tailor we went to in Kilburn we would let him get on with it, As a 15 year old in 69 I never had a clue what i wanted and relied on the tailor to make the suit that was in fashion so to speak, The trousers had a single pleat, cash pocket and two rear pockets all flapped, The suit i wear these days are the same as i wore back then, without the trousers above the ankle, Next time i see you, and I'am wearing a suit i will show you.
Regarding the shirts The American shirts from the Ivy/Squire shop did not have sewn in pleats, typical Ivy league style. Again all my shirts that i wear, these days, Ralph Lauren, Gant , Facconable BD Baggies do not have sewn in pleats.
Just going back to suits in 69/70 Off the peg suits would have flat fronted trousers, i also bought a nice pair of To Tone off the peg trousers from the Squire shop that was flat fronted,
Just to add again, not all BD Shirts has sewn in pleats... as i remember some lads would iron in the pleat then sew in little tags to hold the pleat in. I think the later Brutus and Jaytex had sewn in pleats, but i never wore them.
If you look at the photos that Bunty put up.. the lad is wearing single pleated trousers, I suppose as i said we just carried on with the late so called hard Mod look, Maybe MOM and Brownjei can put some input into this, but i think we have covered it before

Was this a common thing regarding the trousers and shirts or just something you preffered? I always thought it was only some later Ben Shermans that didn't have the sewn in pleat. I thought all the 60s ones had the pleat sewn in.

It would be good to hear if the other Originals on here wore their trousers and shirts like that.
I know we have covered suits pretty much. But i have been meaning to ask you about them since you first put it up here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads