• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you had Mates,you tended to look after each other(when cash was short one week,you would chip in etc).However,there is always one where you went the extra mile.John had a rough upbringing.Ever since he was very young his Father would beat him"black and blue".His Mother did not fare much better.His old man was a brute and when he got drinking,you knew there would be trouble.In the 50s and 60s there was no "Social Services" and the Council(no matter who they were)regarded the Working Classes as nuisances.I got to know him in `69 but the rest of the Boys knew him from being very young.They told me his past history.He would sometimes turn up with a black-eye,and we say "old man" he just nodded.We would chip in and get Food etc.,for him and his Mum,as the old man would take all the money.Even when John was working,his Mother would ask for his wages(so that the old man could go out).He would live this fantasy world(I suppose to get away from reality)and he would come out with some stories(mind you he could come back with some really pretty Girlfriends).We all knew they were and just got on with life.
He was telling us that he had met somebody who belonged to a Group, was driving around in a Roller.We chided him something rotten.Imagine our surprise, when walking around Guildford one day,and a car hooted.We turned and there was a dark green Rolls Royce behind us.John stuck his head out the window and shouted to us.The Guy behind the wheel was Vince Melouney who was with the Bee Gees(in `69 there was 5 in the Group).He offered a lift,so 5 Skinheads climbed into the back and we were chauffered around.We believed him more then.There was nothing between John or Vince,I just think Vince liked his Company-he certainly could tell Jokes.

I lost contact with John when the Mob had a major bust-up,and we went our separate ways,but I did hear that he had turned on his old man-and kicked him out of the house.Justice had been done.:)

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

When you had Mates,you tended to look after each other(when cash was short one week,you would chip in etc).However,there is always one where you went the extra mile.John had a rough upbringing.Ever since he was very young his Father would beat him"black and blue".His Mother did not fare much better.His old man was a brute and when he got drinking,you knew there would be trouble.In the 50s and 60s there was no "Social Services" and the Council(no matter who they were)regarded the Working Classes as nuisances.I got to know him in `69 but the rest of the Boys knew him from being very young.They told me his past history.He would sometimes turn up with a black-eye,and we say "old man" he just nodded.We would chip in and get Food etc.,for him and his Mum,as the old man would take all the money.Even when John was working,his Mother would ask for his wages(so that the old man could go out).He would live this fantasy world(I suppose to get away from reality)and he would come out with some stories(mind you he could come back with some really pretty Girlfriends).We all knew they were and just got on with life.
He was telling us that he had met somebody who belonged to a Group, was driving around in a Roller.We chided him something rotten.Imagine our surprise, when walking around Guildford one day,and a car hooted.We turned and there was a dark green Rolls Royce behind us.John stuck his head out the window and shouted to us.The Guy behind the wheel was Vince Melouney who was with the Bee Gees(in `69 there was 5 in the Group).He offered a lift,so 5 Skinheads climbed into the back and we were chauffered around.We believed him more then.There was nothing between John or Vince,I just think Vince liked his Company-he certainly could tell Jokes.
I lost contact with John when the Mob had a major bust-up,and we went our separate ways,but I did hear that he had turned on his old man-and kicked him out of the house.Justice had been done.:)
Sad tale - hope he went on to make a success of his life.

Can't beat (sic) good pals...

There were originally four of us who knocked about together... two have since passed away and the other is very ill.

Guess I was the lucky one. :satisfied:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds good - 2E0CFM - get me on QRZ. :)
I'll pm you with details. :nodding:

Sounds good with me to... BA/GOMEM/P what time? ......actually JK...no reciprocal licenses here...bummer...73s

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's not a road it's a desert.

A desert.. ha...Muller Road has never much of anything considering it's length, a scout hut, car hire place, about half a dozen shops like lady's hairdressers and things, the bus depot, no boozers....there's not even a greasy spoon place is there?

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Me too. How about a sked on 40m?
Are you currently in the UK, Mike?

If not, my meagre 50 watts - Intermediate licence conditions that you full licence holders needn't worry about :nodding: - might struggle a little.

I'll be on 40 today/tonight from 5pm-7pm and give a listen, for you, though. :satisfied:

Currently using a Yaesu FT-450 with a 10m 'long wire' un-un... it works but obviously no gain from the antenna.:angry:

Got a FT-817nd for out-and-about; an FT-7900 for 2m and 70cms and a wee Wouxun for buggering about - so nothing seriously good - yet.

I'm going to try for the 'full' later this year, but maths have always been an issue with me and I'm not blessed with much logic, either.

Sorry to everyone else for going on about our 'hobby' - I'll have the wife slap my wrists! :embar:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, I'm not in the UK. I'm in ITU prefix B, IARU Region 3, Maidenhead locator square ON. Probably need QRO to reach the UK. Current rig is a cat's-whisker hooked up to a 6 inch piece of damp string, powered by a 40 year old "Flying Bomb" PP3 battery.

I have a top-notch RX though....

..where only the best will do. :slayer:

Last edited:

Raff72

Reaction score
Speaking of supernatural stuff, I lived near the burmese border in northern thailand for most of the 90s. I used to go and visit a village out in the sticks with my girl at the time. Lovely people and we'd spend a weekend or so doing various nefarious things that shall remain nameless... Anyways these people (not Thai, but hill tribe people originally from china that escaped at the same time as the kuo min tang) could communicate with each other without any kind of phone or other way of doing it. At first I thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me but these people definitely had some form of esp happening. there were too many occasions where they would mention needing to talk to someone or see someone and that person would show up within the next 15 or so minutes. They could also get people to bring them things and do things for them without having spoken to them directly. I am still not really sure that I believe it all and that my mind wasn't playing tricks on me but it happened too many times to be just coincidence. They weren't educated (the kids went to school but the adults had been left behind as they were seen as fifth class citizens) but they had a way about them that was beyond a few years in school. These people are Taoists and practising animists so who knows how or where they got this stuff from, they can however trace their families back more than 2 and a half thousand years and they keep all of the knowledge in their heads. They were and still are alot of the people that do the leg work for the drug trade from Burma/China into Thailand and laos and are about as close as you can get to hippies without the long hair and ****** smelling perfume, also some of the best natural martial artists I've ever come across.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Speaking of supernatural stuff, I lived near the burmese border in northern thailand for most of the 90s. I used to go and visit a village out in the sticks with my girl at the time. Lovely people and we'd spend a weekend or so doing various nefarious things that shall remain nameless... Anyways these people (not Thai, but hill tribe people originally from china that escaped at the same time as the kuo min tang) could communicate with each other without any kind of phone or other way of doing it. At first I thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me but these people definitely had some form of esp happening. there were too many occasions where they would mention needing to talk to someone or see someone and that person would show up within the next 15 or so minutes. They could also get people to bring them things and do things for them without having spoken to them directly. I am still not really sure that I believe it all and that my mind wasn't playing tricks on me but it happened too many times to be just coincidence. They weren't educated (the kids went to school but the adults had been left behind as they were seen as fifth class citizens) but they had a way about them that was beyond a few years in school. These people are Taoists and practising animists so who knows how or where they got this stuff from, they can however trace their families back more than 2 and a half thousand years and they keep all of the knowledge in their heads. They were and still are alot of the people that do the leg work for the drug trade from Burma/China into Thailand and laos and are about as close as you can get to hippies without the long hair and ****** smelling perfume, also some of the best natural martial artists I've ever come across.

I don't doubt your views and experiences of these people - the human brain is a complex bit of kit. :nodding:

We've not scratched the surface of what 'man' is capable of yet - not even close.

And, should the species kick around long enough, 'we' might be able to understand more of what makes us what we are.

(Seamless link to '69.) :D

Zager & Evans:

Raff72

Reaction score
Yeah wicked track. Might have to do a version of this when me and my mates get our band happening. Be on the lookout for the rundown youth.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zager and Evans with Barry McGuire "Eve Of Destruction" always got me thinking.Both good Records.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads