Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Basset

Basset Senior member

[​IMG] i remember in the 70's getting excited when the alpine man was due, then being gutted when we were last on the round and all they had left was dandelion and burdock, yuk!

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Yeah I know - I meant to say 'Colin', but only realised about an hour later when I was away from the computer.

3. Man-of-Mystery

Me too. How about a sked on 40m?

4. Man-of-Mystery

"Right, m'friends!"

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

When you had Mates,you tended to look after each other(when cash was short one week,you would chip in etc).However,there is always one where you went the extra mile.John had a rough upbringing.Ever since he was very young his Father would beat him"black and blue".His Mother did not fare much better.His old man was a brute and when he got drinking,you knew there would be trouble.In the 50s and 60s there was no "Social Services" and the Council(no matter who they were)regarded the Working Classes as nuisances.I got to know him in `69 but the rest of the Boys knew him from being very young.They told me his past history.He would sometimes turn up with a black-eye,and we say "old man" he just nodded.We would chip in and get Food etc.,for him and his Mum,as the old man would take all the money.Even when John was working,his Mother would ask for his wages(so that the old man could go out).He would live this fantasy world(I suppose to get away from reality)and he would come out with some stories(mind you he could come back with some really pretty Girlfriends).We all knew they were and just got on with life.
    He was telling us that he had met somebody who belonged to a Group, was driving around in a Roller.We chided him something rotten.Imagine our surprise, when walking around Guildford one day,and a car hooted.We turned and there was a dark green Rolls Royce behind us.John stuck his head out the window and shouted to us.The Guy behind the wheel was Vince Melouney who was with the Bee Gees(in `69 there was 5 in the Group).He offered a lift,so 5 Skinheads climbed into the back and we were chauffered around.We believed him more then.There was nothing between John or Vince,I just think Vince liked his Company-he certainly could tell Jokes.

I lost contact with John when the Mob had a major bust-up,and we went our separate ways,but I did hear that he had turned on his old man-and kicked him out of the house.Justice had been done.:)

6. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Sounds good - 2E0CFM - get me on QRZ. :)

I'll pm you with details. :nodding:

7. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Sad tale - hope he went on to make a success of his life.

Can't beat (sic) good pals...

There were originally four of us who knocked about together... two have since passed away and the other is very ill.

Guess I was the lucky one. :satisfied:

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Sounds good with me to... BA/GOMEM/P what time? ......actually JK...no reciprocal licenses here...bummer...73s

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

9. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

A desert.. ha...Muller Road has never much of anything considering it's length, a scout hut, car hire place, about half a dozen shops like lady's hairdressers and things, the bus depot, no boozers....there's not even a greasy spoon place is there?

10. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Are you currently in the UK, Mike?

If not, my meagre 50 watts - Intermediate licence conditions that you full licence holders needn't worry about :nodding: - might struggle a little.

I'll be on 40 today/tonight from 5pm-7pm and give a listen, for you, though. :satisfied:

Currently using a Yaesu FT-450 with a 10m 'long wire' un-un... it works but obviously no gain from the antenna.:angry:

Got a FT-817nd for out-and-about; an FT-7900 for 2m and 70cms and a wee Wouxun for buggering about - so nothing seriously good - yet.

I'm going to try for the 'full' later this year, but maths have always been an issue with me and I'm not blessed with much logic, either.

Sorry to everyone else for going on about our 'hobby' - I'll have the wife slap my wrists! :embar:

11. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I'll put a few shouts out on 40m tonight - 5-7pm - what's your callsign?

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Nope, I'm not in the UK. I'm in ITU prefix B, IARU Region 3, Maidenhead locator square ON. Probably need QRO to reach the UK. Current rig is a cat's-whisker hooked up to a 6 inch piece of damp string, powered by a 40 year old "Flying Bomb" PP3 battery.

I have a top-notch RX though....
    [​IMG]
    ..where only the best will do. :slayer:

13. Raff72

Raff72 Active Member

Speaking of supernatural stuff, I lived near the burmese border in northern thailand for most of the 90s. I used to go and visit a village out in the sticks with my girl at the time. Lovely people and we'd spend a weekend or so doing various nefarious things that shall remain nameless... Anyways these people (not Thai, but hill tribe people originally from china that escaped at the same time as the kuo min tang) could communicate with each other without any kind of phone or other way of doing it. At first I thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me but these people definitely had some form of esp happening. there were too many occasions where they would mention needing to talk to someone or see someone and that person would show up within the next 15 or so minutes. They could also get people to bring them things and do things for them without having spoken to them directly. I am still not really sure that I believe it all and that my mind wasn't playing tricks on me but it happened too many times to be just coincidence. They weren't educated (the kids went to school but the adults had been left behind as they were seen as fifth class citizens) but they had a way about them that was beyond a few years in school. These people are Taoists and practising animists so who knows how or where they got this stuff from, they can however trace their families back more than 2 and a half thousand years and they keep all of the knowledge in their heads. They were and still are alot of the people that do the leg work for the drug trade from Burma/China into Thailand and laos and are about as close as you can get to hippies without the long hair and shitty smelling perfume, also some of the best natural martial artists I've ever come across.

14. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I don't doubt your views and experiences of these people - the human brain is a complex bit of kit. :nodding:

We've not scratched the surface of what 'man' is capable of yet - not even close.

And, should the species kick around long enough, 'we' might be able to understand more of what makes us what we are.

(Seamless link to '69.) :D

Zager & Evans:

15. Raff72

Raff72 Active Member

Yeah wicked track. Might have to do a version of this when me and my mates get our band happening. Be on the lookout for the rundown youth.