Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Have not seen that before.The usual inaccuracies in there,wrong Styles etc.-but(with the likes of Robert Elms-who manages to give a definite account of what went on,even though he was not personally involved in either the Original Skinhead or the Original Mod)it is taken as Gospel.Eddie Pillar(who I do know) only read about the Mods-and became one in the "Revival".I was 2nd Wave Mod,not as he claims 3rd Wave(there was not one).Who,in their right mind would go to a group of Fellas and say"what are you?".Lucky he was not "smacked" there and then.....:)[/quote]And this is where I came in... you had to be there. :nodding:

Brilliant - and true. :D

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

That's about the size of it. Where I was at the time (S E London) there wasn't a sudden change. I moved down from the North in '68 and the only big differences in what was being worn was jungle green strides and cherry red boots. Then something might come in - say, jodhpur boots (riders) - and I'd think "Okay I'll get a pair". Or Ben Sherman shirts, and I'd think, "They look smart, and it's not like I haven't worn button-down shirts before", and I'd buy one. And so it went on. I didn't even have to change my hairstyle, I kept the same V-neck sweaters, the same Levis.

3. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Some of the jeans are a bit wide... mind, you, so am I , nowadays. :D

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

In S E London those skirts with tartan going crosswise came into fashion for girls in early 1970, as far as I remember. But the guys' hair would seem to make it a bit later than that.

5. buttons

buttons Senior member

It is indeed S&P.
    Wide parallel Wranglers, Black 8 hole Martens, Penny Collared shirt and braces.
    King Ludd pub, IOW about 10-11 years ago.

I've got some oxford bags nearly as wide as you Ed, but they're for special occasions only!

6. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

I thought so.
    Very cool indeed.

7. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

The sheepskin is a ladies coat. The buttons do up the ladies side. Apart from that looks like a nice coat.

8. soundsnpressure

True.
    But to be fair, i've walked into foreign sheepskin establishments e.g. Spain,Cyprus,Malta etc. And there are large sheepskin coats, obviously men sizes that are in the mens section, with the button eyelets on the womens side. I doubt all foreign manufacturers of sheepskins are aware of this detail (that's if this coat is foreign in origin?) But I'm probably wrong. Maybe they are trying to off-load over-sized womens coats in the mens. Anyway, nothing wrong with a bit of cross-dressing [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

9. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Whatever floats ya boat mate.

Can't say i would want to wear a womans coat.

10. soundsnpressure

I don't cross-dress.
    I'm not Kevin Rowland..

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

At the weekends,my nama is Margaret!!!!:)

12. Sidney Scott

Sidney Scott Member

I'll go along with that. The Royals are the business but there are good brogues around that are of a different style and if a guy walked up the street wearing a pair of maroon Loakes, Levi jeans, Harrington jacket with a Ben Sherman shirt on and close cropped hair, it would be quite obvious what his style and culture is all about. I don't think there is any need to get the tape measure out these days and take things down to an exact specification. One skinhead lass asked me about brogues and money was an issue for her so I told her to head for Clarks. I mean, are Solovair boots the right boots or do they have to be Dr. Martens? Either would do although the former are the real British deal and I have a pair of oxbloods and they are superb to say the least but for someone who's money is a bit tight, the Dr. Marten comes around £30.00 cheaper.

13. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

could be nice harry nice pink check lol

14. Raff72

Raff72 Active Member

Fark I didn't notice that detail... I'll see what the cut is like when it gets here and take it from there. If I don't like it I'll give it to a girl I've known since the late 80s who is still a dyed in the wool skinhead. I'm sure she'll be happy with it... I might even do a little bit of DIY and swap the buttons over to the other side if it's at all possible.

15. buttons

buttons Senior member

With most sheepies, the button holes are an intergral part of the front panel, so apart from needing to be quite handy with your suede tailoring, they'll also not cover up well on the other side.
    My recommendation is give it up, admit the error and buy a bloke's sheepskin - they're not that uncommon!
    (I know my) Buttons.