• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

circustavern777

Reaction score
Man that suede jacket looks great.
what year you reckon pic took i was thinking it an old one then i see what i think is a fred perry laurel on the guys jacket i know fred perry was about back in the day but if that is a fp jacket then is this a mod reviveal 79/80s pic great shot though

Jessie

Reaction score
Hi my name is Jessie, I'm a fashion student at Kingston University and I'm writing my dissertation on skinheads and how they are represented. I'm looking to interview some Skinheads who lived in London during the 60s and 70s, would you be interested?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi my name is Jessie, I'm a fashion student at Kingston University and I'm writing my dissertation on skinheads and how they are represented. I'm looking to interview some Skinheads who lived in London during the 60s and 70s, would you be interested?

You have a few on here Jessie.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here we go again, :dozingoff:

McDermott

Reaction score
Here we go again,
dozingoff.gif

Im not being funny - but surely read through the thread and theres enough info on there. I suppose some people might get in touch, im not having a go, but it always seems people are interested in 'how we are represented' or 'what the media portrays'. Most proper skinheads couldnt give a **** IMO, because they have realised it will never change and have no desire in explaining how or why they are to anyone even if it could be explained. Why not on skinhead Life and threads etc instead of this 'representation' shite.

Raff72

Reaction score
I think this might almost be my first post... I'd forgotten all about this forum but I just picked up a sheepskin coat off evilbay and did a bit of a google to see whether it was too far from a skinhead kind of thing. I must admit I'm not strictly a skinhead anymore, I was up until about 21 when I got into other scenes and styles of music. Having said that I have always incorporated the gear into whatever I wear with additions from whatever else I happen to be into at the time. I have also always been influenced by the dresser/casual kinda thing so decent trabbs are a neccesity for me. I was actually sor of surprised to see Sambas rear their ugly head as a bit of a skinhead fashion seeing as I always figured they were more of a chavvy kinda thing.,

One thing that probably also influences what I'm into is the fact that I filter it from a pretty huge distance being down here in Australia. We did however have a similar home grown kinda thing called Sharpies in the 60s and 70s (my best mate actually wrote a book on the subject called Top Fellas, look it up as it is a very interesting read from a bloke that was years ahead of the rest of us in the Skinhead scene, he also published a comic book in his teens called bovver boys ahoy which I keep on trying to talk him into republishing..) this shared alot of similarities with skinhead plus there were actually blokes (alot of them british immigrants) who actually called themselves skinheads at the time.

Aside from Sharps there were also graoups of kids who called themselves Bowies and Droogs (no prizes for guessing where they got their names from...) as well as Surfies and a few others that slip my mind.

Anyways some constructive criticism of this coat would be appreciated, although bear in mind I'm not really a peanut anymore...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330710035091?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Raff72

Reaction score
By the way that picture you guys are discussing above is either from Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. I can tell as the Car whose numberplate you're discussing is an Aussie and I think South African made Ford Falcon. I think those falcons were Mid to late 70's so definitely revival. The Revival Mod scene here in Oz was pretty massive with even Captain Piller doing a Compilation of Aussie Mod bands.

circustavern777

Reaction score
By the way that picture you guys are discussing above is either from Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. I can tell as the Car whose numberplate you're discussing is an Aussie and I think South African made Ford Falcon. I think those falcons were Mid to late 70's so definitely revival. The Revival Mod scene here in Oz was pretty massive with even Captain Piller doing a Compilation of Aussie Mod bands.
thanks for the info mate what part of oz you from ?

Raff72

Reaction score
And yes I took a wee bit closer look at that pic and as near as I can tell the plates on the back of the Falcon (it is a Falcon... a 5 litre V8 actually as I can see the Falcon 500 badge on the back) are from my state of Victoria. So I would guess the guys are Melbourne mods either from the early 80s or they just happen to be later mods who luckily enough happened to be surrounded by vehicles from earlier days. I still have a few really close mates in the scooter scene that were Mods back in the day so I will shoot this pick around and get some more info for you.

circustavern777

Reaction score
Hi, i reckon if you were a mod who turned into a skin you were probably more into the fashion. we were young kids who just wanted to be skins so anything that made us look like skinhead was good enough. Once we got older and interested in birds then it was all about the clothes, loved my interwoven lace up loafers with i could find a pair now. Do you remember Solatio shoes? Gary
i remember the solatio box weave reckon that was 1970 im sure we wore them to school i was expelled around that time

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads