1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. soulsearcher

soulsearcher New Member

Ive been into skinhead for 30+ years I have no need to re-enact anything, there is no excuse for the way some people dress these days they have turned what is left of the skinhead scene into a joke some of them are so badly dressed

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I could not steer a Rowing Boat,Yankmod..The Marina was a seedy All Night Club in Portsmouth,and one night got involved in some punch-up there.The Doormen being fairminded People threw me and my Mates out-and banned us

My Parents signed me on until I was 16.At 15,I thought "F*ck this,I want to start earning money".So I left School.:)

I can picture the Scene now,M-o-M.Halfway through and they all stop for Tea and Scones.....:)

1 person likes this.
  3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I have just received an email telling me about the Who doing an 8 Date U.K. Tour,doing Tracks from "Quadrophenia".I personally think they should now put that Name to rest.I went and saw them in Hyde Park(a few years ago),when they did another Tour,and John Enwhistle was still alive.Now that he and Keith Moon are dead,that should be it.I have great respect for Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend-but this is for pure money.For that reason I never went to see the Stones-yet in the early and mid 60s I loved them.

Rant over....:cloud:

1 person likes this.
  4. Watermelon man

Watermelon man Well-Known Member

It

It's an appealling idea, must admit :) Unfortunately, while the mind might be willing the body isn't up to it.

5. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Hello and welcome: always nice to get a Northern perspective on things..... it gets a bit Southern round here sometimes (I am smiling sweetly as I say this!)

6. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Corker, what model is that Loake boot? Is it from the 1880 range?

I spotted a couple of pairs yesterday locally and was tempted.

Thanks

7. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

It does! And no need to apologise for wearing 'tribute' stuff - we've all done that.

8. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I bought my first pair of Martens from Blackman's in Brick Lane in 1968. As you say they were supple and comfortable, almost from day one. We wore 6 eyelet boots with a beige ankle padding around the top. The Southend photo shows at least a couple of boys wearing the same. Very easy to run in, not like the more high-rise boots. They weren't much higher than a desert boot. I believe they stopped making this boot around 1970 because when I went back for a second pair the owner said it had been replaced with a boot having no top padding but a black trim. I bought a pair but they were not as good,even then. When Dr Martens had an 50 year anniversary in 2010 the Covent Garden shop were selling all boots for the price of £19.60. I bought a pair (8 eyelet) and so did the wife. Although we don't wear them often we are still breaking them in!

9. Bob the Badger

I am also protective of our era. I think it comes from the fact that the media badly distorted what was happening at that time and we feel the need to try and redress the balance. With the internet and sites like this it is possible, to some extent, to do that. A lot of good stuff written here but I've only managed to read the first 100 pages!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  10. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

I found this site approx 9 months ago after trawling the web looking for my era related items after feeling nostalgic. This was the only site i came across that had original people from 69 / 70 who knew exactly what was going on at the time. When I saw the newspaper cutting on around pages 60, 218, 321 I could not believe that I was seeing something that I had not seen for over 40 years but its memory was as vivid as the day I held the newspaper in my hands and thought "this us, this is how we are" (our mob) not realizing that it was nationwide. When you read the other contributors comments of our age you realize that we were more or less identical.

As I have said before these were great times even though they only lasted a few years before fashion moved us on (although not without a struggle)

It took me a total of 12 hours to read the thread including saving various photos and newspaper cuttings. Being semi retired this tread has now become part of a daily routine of checking for new contributions and responding.

I have no desire to join Facebook and write crap like "I am just putting the cat out" or I am just having a cup of tea". This social network thread if far more interesting. I have remembered some things that I have not had reason to recall since a teenager. You will also find that the similar age guys have lots of like minded memories to share and are a great bunch together with the younger members who have acquired so much detailed knowledge that I have to question my memory sometimes to make sure I am right on some subjects !!

Its a great thread enjoy it

11. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Your right. I bought my first pair in 69. Probably 6 or 8 hole and we used to rub in loads of 'dubbing' to keep supple. DMs did not have a very long life span on building sites and never lasted more than a year no matter how much you looked after them.

I have not had DM boots for say 20 years although I have the DM dealers boots but these only get used for walking to the pub about once a week so little use.

I have in the last 10 years used DM shoes on a daily basis but in the last 2 years they have been hard / near impossible to break in and have left me with severe heel blisters and finished up in the Euro bin. I have now degraded to wearing Clark shoes and when visiting sites wearing free issue safety boots that are cheap and extremely comfortable and do not need any 'breaking in'.

Its a shame I am not looking to purchasing DMs again. Perhaps they have run their course?

12. buttons

buttons Senior member

Did you wear brogue boots back then?
    Anyone remember?
    I've spoke to a couple of lads that did. Didn't seem that common though and very area-dependent. Many had never heard of them at the time.

Oneflewover - welcome mate - great crack and very interesting.

13. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

I was asked where I got my Harrington in Portsmouth in 1970. They did not really have Squire/ Ivy shop stuff either. Different league outside of London.

Whereabouts was the Marina club. I remember a big Top Rank type ballroom and a smaller place near Fratton and there was Southsea pier for concerts as well. Pompey had a pub on every corner as it was a garrison town. Great pubs too with decent jukeboxes and bar billiards. Brickwoods beer was poor but you could get scrumpy on draught in a lot of pubs.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  14. ek77

ek77 Senior member

here are the ones you are talking about... :)

[​IMG]

and here is a pair of mine..

[​IMG]

15. papyloic

papyloic Member

16. Bob the Badger

Yes, they look like them. Where did you buy your boots? Are they new or vintage? Without being anal I notice that yours are 7 eyelets. I thought mine were 6 but I could be wrong. The first photo look 6 eyelet but not very clear on my screen.

17. papyloic

papyloic Member

[​IMG]
    don't know what I did be4[​IMG]???

18. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The Marina was outside Fratton Station.As the Train came in(from London),you saw the top of the Club outside.Could not stand Brickwoods Beer.

19. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

OK been in that one. I did not know they did all-nighters though.

20. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

We would get the 28 late night bus from the Cavalier Golders Green to Kilburn, The whole bus would be full of Skinheads..the poor Conductor had a hard time, but no one would be violent towards him, If we really got out of hand the driver would stop at West Hampstead Police station and run in for help, that was the signal to pile off the bus,:D:D One Conductor came from the Kilburn area, He had a way of handling us.he never got a problem. The Kilburn was a violent lot...but we would not dream of attacking an innocent person, passers bye had no fear of us. We also had a rule...even if you hated someone and he was on the wanted list..If he was on his own and with a girl he was left alone, but with a warning. All our violence was channeled against other Skinhead and Black gangs, and football crews, plenty to keep us busy ..:D