Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. matty120179

matty120179 New Member

G'day my Pohmie brothers, just another colonial here. I must say i appluade you guys. Alot of the stuff I found out here is new but some I already knew from Pohms who where skinheads & Immgrated here. unfortuantely here if I say Skinhead or Skin people think Romper Stomper & its Neo Nazi bullshit, completely missed the point to what the movement was about even here in Australia. Its strange cause alot of Pohms who immagrate here are actually less racist then alot of Aussies I know. I never understood the Neo Nazi thing cause England & Australia fought the Nazi's, it would be like an AUssie wishing Japan had invaded in WWII.

I admire the movement because no matter what it was the fighting fists of the working class. It wasn't that they didn't care about polotics if anything they where very poltical but not stupid enough to tie themsleves too just one Idealology & where smart enough too say "Hey we don't have all the answers, we are just asking the questions". I guess thats why the styles changed the movement was smart enough to move with the times.

The strength of British pride is underlined in the orginal version of The Italian Job staring Micheal Caine, When the mafia trys to threaten Caine & say Europe is for Europeans not Brits Caine replies with "There are 50 000 Italians in Britain & one word, every cafe, pizzaria & restaurant will be destroyed from Manchester too london & (I forget the name) we will chase you into the sea" Now too me that is not racist that is national pride saying fuck with just one of my citizens & we will hurt you. If it wasn't for the Pohm Aussies like Jock Polfreman, David Hicks & Assange would be languishing in jail because our governement doesn't have the balls & idealology Britian does anymore.

I think we need a Skin head revival here & reinstill some national pride. Its about time we put the wind up the Elitist's they have grown fat & lazy over the last 25 years & need a bit of a scare too motivate them of there fat arses & start worrying about fixing the mess the world economy has become, because in the end it is the working class who will suffer & neither Democracy or Communism has come up with any defiantive answers. Keep it up fella's its guys like you who make me proud that it was Pohms who turned up here 200 years ago in the middle of the Beautiful Pacific ocean & found a Tropical paradise & gave it too a bunch of convicts. Your either a really proud people of your little Island or just really bad at real estate.

2. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

I know this isn't the site to talk politics, but IMO your government is pretty 'spot on with regards to your fine country NOT losing it's identitiy, and protecting itself from outside influences.
    You convicts and hoodlums living a better quality of life than me, not fair ;)

That said, what do Aussie skins wear :- flip flops, combats and a Fred perry? (only joking) I've got a few Aussie mates, but they aren't into any mod or skinhead scene, sadly. I find it hard to imagine any ska/northern soul/R&B scene in Aus. Would like to be proved wrong on this tho.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  3. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Hello Matty welcome to the Site.Interesting read-though we try and keep Politics out of the Thread(does not mean we do not know what is going on).We had a "Meet" in York yesterday,and the Topic of Skinheads in Oz came up.We were trying to make a guess on when actually this started-as you already had Sharpies.A Mate of mine went out (in `69/70) and said there were no Skinheads about then,but he got in with a few Fellas who got their hair cropped-the same as his.He got kicked out of Australia for causing a lot of Aggro.:)

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

On the Subject of York.Good to see you all yesterday.Will certainly look forward to an earlier Meet.I am hoping to drive next time and have a very entertaining Passenger(Bunty) with me.Thanks Mate well enjoyed the Journey!!!:)

6. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Tell us more. :)

7. noddy

noddy Member

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

May I remind you that you bloody well did!

9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

By the way, here's the York crowd. Note the 'signature aviators'.

:)

[​IMG]
    (c) M-o-M

10. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Great photo of your weekend. Please would you put names to faces as the only one I can clearly identify is 'Little Queenie' !!

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I know,and bunty encouraged me!!!!:D

12. buttons

buttons Senior member

Bunty, Man O' Mystery (hence the disguise!), Little Queenie, Bob, Gramps, Buttons, Brownie CJ.
    Canny day out - cheers lads.
    Shame you couldn't have all stayed over as there was so much that never got mentioned. Interesting crack though.
    Hopefully see a few more next time.
    Buttons

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Noddy,have you sent this Link to "Soul Source" as they would love it.I got into "Northern Soul" in `85.During the 60s it was just Soul-whether it was Motown,Stax or early Funk.Some of them went onto being Anthems in the North-but that was later.

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Had a chat to Buttons(on Saturday)regarding Guildford being a quiet Town(I have not been back for many years).This got me thinking about other Areas that could be regarded as quiet,surburban Towns-on the outskirts of London.These are Areas where the price of Land is expensive and regarded as "Dormitory Towns" for the City Stockbroker. I am talking about Richmond,Windsor,Guildford,Woking,Walton-on-Thames,Kingston-upon-Thames,Epsom and Sutton.There are smaller Towns but I will concentrate on these.
    In the 60s,they would be quiet during the day,but when the Sun went down the Nighthawks came out.Richmond was known for the Ivy Shop and the Crawdaddy,Eel Pie Island etc,but it also had a very big Skinhead Mob-that had a reputation.Kingston was the same(never really went there,but heard about it).It was a group of Blacks called "The Kingston Trilbies"who carved up somebody ,in the "Reflections" Club in Piccadilly.Sutton also had a fearsome Reputation-but travelling there you went through Countryside(including a Village with a Duckpond in it!).Guildford,Woking and Walton-on-Thames were always fighting each other.There were Clubs in each,the "Atalanta" in Woking,the "Hop"in Walton-on-Thames and the "Plaza"in Guildford.These attracted Skinheads from all over(London included),so fighting would break out on a regular basis.Windsor had a large Skinhead Mob but it was also home to the Windsor Chapter of the Hells Angels.Also in other Areas there would be Clubs that had All-nighters and Clubs where Famous Artists appeared.So these Towns did not go to bed at 10:30pm.:)

15. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

Well, I see this thread is still going great guns. Just got home on Friday from an overseas project in Georgia on humanitarian emergency coordination, what a beautiful country, despite the conflicts of recent years.

Anyway, for those of you who still go to ska gigs, Bad Manners are playing The Junction in Cambridge on 7th June.