1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Little Queenie always brings the Class to these proceedings.Great photo Pequod.I'm surprised to see the very short hair and fuller side boards.Thought it was a revival thang.

2. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

The sideboards look to me like they are stuck on or dyed. Not a look I recognize from 1969. Not amongst the 15/16 year olds anyway. Both profiles look odd and I wouldn't want to bump into either of them down a dark alley.

3. bunty

bunty Senior member

4. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Beltin Pics again Bunty.

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Brill pics Esso Blue lol.

6. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

As we all remember Esso Blue used to be delivered in vans (this was pre central heating days - we all had paraffin heaters).

What I recall about the Esso Blue van was that the back doors opened and it had a huge tank in the middle with a tap at the bottom. Either side (and stacked across the top) of the tank was FOOD, including biscuits and sweets - now I'm not sure if this was the case with every EB van or whether our delivery bloke was just doing a bit of moonlighting, but anyway what I remember was that all the food tasted of paraffin - bloody lovely it was!

God knows what today's Health and Safety would make of that - but then again, these were the days when we used to pick bubble gum off the pavements and eat it and drink puddles - for dare's mind!

7. Watermelon man

Watermelon man Well-Known Member

They asked me how I knew, it was Esso Blue
    I of course replied
    With other brands one buys
    Smoke gets in your eyes

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Interesting Pics again.Just been on the Site and seen the others.It still looks mid 60s to me.The Lambretta has 63` Plates on-but would a young(and going by the ages given)16 year old afford nearly new Scooter in `64?.There is an Austin 1800 in the background.That was voted Car Of The Year 1965.On the Cover of "The Small Faces",Kenney Jones is wearing a Tattershall Check Shirt(with Spear Point Collar).That was released in `66.I remember the Fair Isle Jumpers and yes the date would have been the mid 60s(a Girlfriend of mine,at the time had one-it had short Sleeves).The Fellas wore the Fair Isle Sleeveless Pullovers.And yes I do remember Esso Blue.:)

9. corker23

corker23 Active Member

10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Call me an armchair leftie but I'd much rather be a Roundhead than a Cavalier! :D

11. Man-of-Mystery

... having said which, does anyone else remember the terms 'Roundhead' and 'Cavalier' being used in connection with circumcision?

(I know - It's bloody weird how my mind works sometimes)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  12. Man-of-Mystery

Blimey, you're right! And the ones the Nazis used to determine 'Aryan' and the ''Untermensch' :(

13. Man-of-Mystery

Well this is me in 1969 with sideboards. Okay, I was 18 going on 19, but I saw quite a lot of guys with this look.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Man-of-Mystery

Bum bum bum bum - Esso Blue! :D

and...

Oh the Esso sign means happy motoring,
    Esso sign means happy motoring,
    Esso sign means happy motoring,
    Call at the Esso sign!
    (for Esso golden... golden... golden...)

15. buttons

buttons Senior member

Alright Corker
    I haven't bought a new pair of Martens for decades so someone else on here would have to point you to the best ones available.
    BUT I wouldn't think about getting them zip up things and starting to cut them up. They'll never be right.
    Its never worth buying summet rubbish to save 30 quid, when it could last you 5, 10, 20 years. Like having a suit made out of cheap material. False economy, mate.

2 people like this.
  16. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

But the Puritans banned everybody having a good time!!! Lets just say-A Cavalier with a Roundhead Hair-cut!!!:)

1 person likes this.
  17. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

In those days I stayed within my peer group. Someone two years older was considered old and one year younger was considered a kid. I remember going into a pub full of 22/23 year olds and we walked out because they were old men! Only one of our group could grow the sideburns and he had them .As soon as I could I grew them as well but I was about 18 then and my hair was a lot longer. My side burns looked like yours but the previous profile photo they don't look so good to me.

18. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Is it the contrast between the thickness of the hair forming the sideboard and the shortness of the hair on the head? In the phrenologist's photo they're not very well-groomed either, whereas Paul's are neat and have been trimmed into shape.

19. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

1 person likes this.
  20. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

I agree. Why is it when skinheads are depicted that the author / journalist always seems to select especially unattractive examples? Skinheads were often immaculate and yet these are seldom seen in the images that remain today.